The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 86 of 96
Previous 1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
20 Oct 2014, 23:53
@lovemyparrot @ssure. It's a very similar plan to mine. I just happen to be eating eggs as they are easier to take to work during the day. I'm eating pasture raised duck eggs though (2 whole duck eggs and 2 duck egg whites in a pancake with bacon, avo and smoked sockeye and broccoli slaw). There are many other similar theories around on how best to do this. Check out http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Clarity-Defi ... to+clarity and http://www.amazon.com/No-Fail-Fat-Burni ... +for+women. On the latter, I emailed the author directly and she was kind enough to respond. Her protocol is strict keto for 10 days, ie less than 30g of carbs. Absolutely zero alcohol. After then you can re-feed with carbs (good stuff not junk) every 4th day. I was supposed to be on day 10 tomorrow but a couple of days I went over 30g and so I asked her if I should start over and she said yes because us oldies need time for our bodies to get the message to start burning fat. So I can eat carbs next Sunday, after I have done my workout so my muscles get the benefit :heart: My fat intake at the moment is around 75% to 80% of my TDEE whilst in this phase.

I am losing, albeit slowly and nothing like the amount the article you posted (more like a couple of pounds in a week). Also on your article, she is eating dairy too which I am not at the moment. However on the plus even combining this with fast 5, I'm losing more yet eating more calories. So it is kind of weird. I would say if you are going to have an egg party, I'd make sure you can get the very best eggs you can get your hands on. Local, organic, free range, (pastured). Oh, and better make sure you take something to keep things moving! The salt does help, but I need magnesium oxide too!
21 Oct 2014, 06:12
As my mother in law would say "don't get egg bound now ladies"
Sounds very interesting, I love my eggs, only have one hen now so we're getting approx 5-6 a week. Can't beat collecting the egg and eating it on the same day. :chicken:
21 Oct 2014, 06:57
Oh how interesting! I have been AWL for a couple of weeks while my
DS and his family visited and ate too many carbs, which I have to say, I enjoyed! I was doing a variation of the fast fat every few days,and although i didn't turn pink, I did lose weight after stalling for some time. I don't find it difficult to do, don't feel hungry, a have lots of energy. I will slowly start to go that way of eating over the next few days as I often read that eating fat with carbs can pile on the pounds.
X
21 Oct 2014, 14:47
@rawkaren - presumably you need the book to do the keto diet? I am impressed that you are losing a couple of pounds a week as I know you were struggling a while ago. I'm tempted to try it although I said I would do a couple of weeks of straightforward 4:3 after dabbling with the fat fast as it seems to have messed my weight loss up a bit (up/down etc!). So are you basically very low carb for the foreseeable?
21 Oct 2014, 15:56
Hi @madcatlady. I don't think you need the book to go on a keto diet. All you do is stay below 30g of carbs for the first week or so, medium protein and high fat (about 80% of my calories are fat). You will need to track what you eat though, so you can get an idea as to how your body responds. Much is written about carb re-feeds to build muscle. The one I'm working on recommends a re-feed every fourth day in the evenings only (after the 1st 10 days), just prior to your workout. Muscle cells are sensitive to insulin after a workout and are ready to receive glycogen. The insulin uptake (produces glycogen) feeds your post workout receptive muscle cells making them grow, supposedly whilst preventing fat cells from getting anything (presumably because the muscle takes it first and anything left over gets stored as fat). That's the theory anyway, we will see. I don't want to lose muscle mass.
We are all different and you might lose weight faster that me on higher carbs - who knows? I don't believe these books where people lose 15lbs in a week - maybe if you are very overweight and have alot of water, but it has not happened to me.

I have committed to give it a full month and then I will take stock. I'm IF in a time window but I am drinking fat outside the window so it is not a fast as we know it, a gentler version so it is not so hard on my system.
21 Oct 2014, 16:15
Thanks @rawkaren - that's really helpful. I may give it a go when I've had a couple of weeks on basic 4:3.

Keep us updated with your progress!

:clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
21 Oct 2014, 19:14
Hi, here's a link for Deviled Eggs I originally posted in the recipe section, but I think its more appropriate here, not necessarily following all the guidelines for fat fast or egg fast, but certainly quite delish !!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/7-devilish-ways-with-a-southern-staple-100261422655.html
22 Oct 2014, 04:21
Thank you for sharing your one woman experiment rawkaren, I read with interest as usual. As someone close to a healthy BMI two pounds a week would do me just fine!
I am taking eggs and butter back to camp with me and will attempt the same over the next three weeks and see how I go in pursuit of the purple wee!!!
24 Oct 2014, 06:02
Hi guys,
I've done a proper fat fast for the last 2 days.
Drum roll........? I lost 2.8 KGS!!! That's 6 pounds!!!
Yes I know some ( or maybe most)of it will return but that's expected but what a high to see my lowest weight that I was 6 months ago! I could kiss your feet @madcatlady and @rawkaren!!!
I'm going out now but will post over the w/e what I ate.
Xxx Julianna

PS , I found it quite easy as I was eating twice as much as normal fast day ( 1000 cals)
24 Oct 2014, 07:27
Well, well, well Julianna, how great to see you so excited!! Perhaps we all need a little kick up the rear in theis form once in a while!
I'll be interested to see what you ate for the day!
24 Oct 2014, 12:53
Yes...let us know your menu for the fat fast! I did it once but would like to see what you did... congrats on the loss, Julianna, and I hope it stays!!! Let us know...
24 Oct 2014, 13:39
@julianna Wow! well done. I have @debs to thank for putting me onto this. Wish I could say that I have had the same instant result as you, but goes to show how different we all are. :victory: :victory: :victory:
24 Oct 2014, 16:17
julianna wrote: Hi guys,
I've done a proper fat fast for the last 2 days.
Drum roll........? I lost 2.8 KGS!!! That's 6 pounds!!!
Yes I know some ( or maybe most)of it will return but that's expected but what a high to see my lowest weight that I was 6 months ago! I could kiss your feet @madcatlady and @rawkaren!!!
I'm going out now but will post over the w/e what I ate.
Xxx Julianna

PS , I found it quite easy as I was eating twice as much as normal fast day ( 1000 cals)

That's great news well done and I'm doing the happy weight loss jig for you.
25 Oct 2014, 05:35
Thanks Debs, @Tammae , @carieoates, and @rawkaren for your info and kind words. Thanks @Debs for letting us know about the fat fast.
Ok- what I ate last Wednesday and Thursday on my 2 day fat fast.
Wednesday
Brekky-1egg 74cal, 2 tsp butter 70 cals, 15 mls skim milk 6 cals in tea.
Lunch-30 grams macadamia nuts 200 cals
Dinner- roasted pork belly 150 grams 440 cals ( that's what MFP said but another calorie calculator said 500 cals per 100 grams so I my calories may be around 2-300 more than the 792 stated below depending on which calculator is right. If we split the difference we can assume I was at 900-1000 cals for the day.
Total cals via mfp- 792 cals
Fat-74%
Carb-2%
Protein 24%
( in my opinion I think my fat probably reached 80% and my protein would have been less because some of the pork belly pieces had quite a bit of meat on it. I chose the one with hardly any. Actually next time I'll cut the meat off and just eat the crackling and fat. My apologies to any vegetarians reading this)
The next morning I was 1.7 KGS less

Thursday.
Brekky- just 30 mls skim milk in 2 teas 12 cals
Lunch-100 mls avocado ( that's a small whole one without skin or seed)
1 tsp macadamia oil 41 cals, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice 1 cal
Snack a/tea- 12 grams macadamia nuts 88 cals and 55 mls Paul's brand dollop cream double thick. 180 cals
Dinner- 2 tsp butter 72 cal, 1 egg +1egg yolk 99 cals ( I was going to eat both eggs but it changed MFP pie chart to lower fat higher protein so I didn't.)
Desser- 55 grams thick dollop cream ( as above) 188 cals
fat-89% !!!
Carbs ,- 9%
Protein -2%
The next morning I was 1.1 KGS less. Total 2.8 KGS off (6 pound) even if only 2 pounds stay off in the long run I'll be happy. I know I've lost some real fat and not just water as hubs said this morning that he could see it in my face(that I'd lost weight) and when lying down my ribs are more pronounced.

My thoughts:

I think I'll aim for around 8-900 cals instead of 1000.
It seemed easier than a normal fast too me- more cals and rich previously denied food seemed like a treat. I was satisfied by the small amounts as I don't have a big appetite since IF.
I know it was a risk using pork belly (with crackling!!!) As none of the fat fast forums mention it (except for those pork rinds dipping into sour cream- I think they're in a packet like chips) so go for it guys but it shrinks quite a bit but seriously yum!
They recommend 5x200 cal meals a day for people to cope with the hunger. I decided as I don't have that problem I would just adjust the cals as I like hence the heavy cal pork belly dinner.
I really like eating the dollop cream- its faintly sweet- maybe due to lactose? For the Aussies it comes in a twin pack 160 grams each.
Tips
Use MFP preferably before your fat fast to adjust your food to try and get close to that 90%of fat like I did by removing the egg white. Its fun looking at the pie chart of the macronutrient break down to see if you're between 80-90%
I felt great but listen to your body- if you feel weird then stop.
Two days was achievable and not hard.
A lot of people have bits of bacon or tuna or chicken to try and make it seem like a normal meal. I won't bother as I want to try and reach 90% so I'll need less meat.

Going forward
Next week on Monday I'll do a normal 500 calories fast with hubs then Wednesday and Thursday I'll do a 2 day fat fast with my menu worked out on MFP beforehand, I think I'll stick to avocados, macadamia nuts,butter,cream and eggs. I'll see how that goes and I may continue it ongoing if I keep losing. Fingers crossed. And I'll eat LOTS of veges on my other 5 days and moderate protein to balance things out.
Xxx julianna
25 Oct 2014, 07:21
Your macros are in the same proportions as me @julianna. I'm averaging around 1300 to 1450 cals a day which is slightly higher than my TDEE. Be careful not to under eat. Easy to do when you are not hungry but in the long term you will end up losing lean mass rather than fat. Don't become a "skinny fat". Short term though this is fine! Knock 'em dead!
Previous 1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 86 of 96