The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 23 of 96
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 96 Next
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
11 Feb 2014, 13:55
Sue.Q wrote:
Ballerina wrote: Well done Minumonline, you are doing really well. My own push to lower my carb intake is doing fine but had a great big fail last night as biscuits mysteriously found their way into my mouth and as if that wasn't bad enough some wine decided to follow them, lovely, and no harm done on the scales as I weighed in at the lower end of my fluctuation margin this morning. Keep up the good work

Ballerina x :heart:

:heart: Well @ballerina I thought you had to wash the biscuits down with red wine. :shock:

Of course you do :shock: what else would you wash rogue biscuits down with? :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
11 Feb 2014, 18:07
Hoping my dinner-party low carb dish works tonight ; chicken thighs baked in tomato and olive sauce (from a jar with veg and chorizo added) , with celeriac paprika chips and green salad
11 Feb 2014, 18:51
Sounds delish, Minumonline
11 Feb 2014, 19:16
It's amazing how frequently celeriac gets mentioned in threads at the moment as I'd never even heard of it until recently but now love it myself and use it often. Was in Aldi today and a lady in front of me at the checkout was buying one and the girl on the till was asking her how she used it as she said none of the staff had a clue!
11 Feb 2014, 19:27
I bought celeriac at the weekend. I had never had it before last year. I really like it but find it so hard to peel and cut. Was thinking chips this week. I am doing quite well with the low white carbs but not so well with upping the fat. I'm maintaining ok so not sure that I should add any fat in anyway. Having said that, I am munching some almonds at the moment. I have some every night at bed time but tonight the packet fell out of the cupboard after dinner and well, you know...... I am procrastinating over the washing up so standing up in the kitchen with my iPad to hand stuffing my face with needless almonds :frown: :lol:
11 Feb 2014, 19:47
Wendy Darling wrote: I bought celeriac at the weekend. I had never had it before last year. I really like it but find it so hard to peel and cut. Was thinking chips this week. I am doing quite well with the low white carbs but not so well with upping the fat. I'm maintaining ok so not sure that I should add any fat in anyway. Having said that, I am munching some almonds at the moment. I have some every night at bed time but tonight the packet fell out of the cupboard after dinner and well, you know...... I am procrastinating over the washing up so standing up in the kitchen with my iPad to hand stuffing my face with needless almonds :frown: :lol:

I agree celeriac isn't the most prepossessing looking veg, I tend to tackle it a bit like a pineapple, i.e, chop off top and root ends, then slice sides of to remove the knobbly bits!
11 Feb 2014, 22:03
In response to cutting root veggies, yes it can be hard - we need the right tools.

You need a good peeler which:

Like this - great investment at £6, though you can pay more.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7625/OXO-Good ... 11214949:s

Has a black rubber handle (so it does not hurt your palm and takes away any friction).
The blade is horizontal not vertical to the handle.
Sit in comfort (I sit on my settee), and place the celeriac in your lap (on paper or a clean dishcloth) and peel upwards towards you at your leisure.
Top and tail and then cut into cubes etc with a sharp heavy veg knife - again nice rubber handle (as you don't feel the pressure).

I have early arthritis in my hands - so I've had to explore the best way for cutting and holding heavy things with my hands.

Works for me, I hope this is helpful.

Enjoy.

Lizbean :smile:
12 Feb 2014, 02:49
Minumonline wrote: Hoping my dinner-party low carb dish works tonight ; chicken thighs baked in tomato and olive sauce (from a jar with veg and chorizo added) , with celeriac paprika chips and green salad

That sounds like a great party spread....how do i make celeriac paprika chips? :heart:
12 Feb 2014, 03:49
I cut the ends off the celeriac, then cut into 1 cm slices, then peeled them (found it too daunting to peel the whole thing at once) then cut the slices into 1cm chips. Put in a bowl with some oil, paprika and salt, mixed well with my hands and cooked on baking tray for 30 mins , turning once.
12 Feb 2014, 12:41
Very useful gizmo @Lizbean @FatDog gave me a similar one as a present, I was a bit sceptical at first but now find it a lot more efficient, especially for carrots :smile:

Signs of celeriac consumer uptake dissonance in my local Waitrose yesterday with small ones reduced to 20p. I think we may be at the forefront of a movement here... However given my travails with the celeriac mash I think that @Minumonline's chips might be spearheading this :grin:
12 Feb 2014, 13:50
Hi there! Is there any room in this tent for a disgraced high carber? To be honest,a I hadn't really thought of looking in this tent but now realise the folly of my ways. I would be grateful for any advice: eg, how many carbs a day should I have? I'm ok on fast days but where do I start on feast days?

Bean :confused: :starving:
12 Feb 2014, 14:14
@nursebean I hope we weren't too hard on you in the other tent? I've lent most of my low carb books out but one I have here (Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Low Carb Diet) says: 20g per day is the cleansing amount. I couldn't exist on that permanently but people do. The next stage is up to 60g per day which is meant to create a good weight loss. The final stage is from 50g to 150g depending on how your body reacts to carbs. I think my body struggles which the sugary ones but isn't too bad with the others. Have tried to cut out most bread, rice, potatoes and pasta though. I use Myfitness pal to give me a rough idea of how many I'm eating but I don't log every day.

I'm sure some of the more expert low carbers will be along to give you more advice.
12 Feb 2014, 14:16
I'd try and keep to under 100g of carbs even on a feast day, but I find it best to get my carbs from veggies and cut out the refined stuff as much as possible. I also find that too many carbs (particularly in biscuit form or alcohol! naughty naughty!) increases my weight the next day....probably water weight, but weight all the same. I am sure @nursebean you'll get lots of advice on carbs here.
12 Feb 2014, 17:16
Thanks for that! On a fast day today and having fish pie with cabbage. The carbs are about 38 at most, so not too bad so far?

Bean :starving:
12 Feb 2014, 18:55
Gone off the rails big time tonight at a buffet with loads of carbs. But actually, if I think about it, I skipped lunch, so my combined lunch and dinner was 3/4 of a sandwich, a scotch egg, and 2 small slices of quiche. So not exactly binge quantities. Washed down with a pint of beer and 2 large glasses of wine. It was all totally yummy :grin:
Previous 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 23 of 96