The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

86 posts Page 6 of 6
Re: Fitbit March madness
27 Mar 2014, 22:02
I recommend the One too. I had the Ultra previously but upgraded to the One when it came out. I also wear mine clipped inside my bra which reduces the risk of losing it! I would be absolutely lost without my Fitbit but I admit that I've toyed with the idea of getting the Withings Pulse as I have the Withings scales.
28 Mar 2014, 00:20
Hazelnut20 wrote: Apologies if someone has already asked this on a previous page....but which Fitbit do you all use/recommend?

I have a Flex which is perfect for me. You just leave it on your wrist for 5 days, taking it off only to charge (which is quick, less than an hour). This works for me because I lose any clip on pedometers. The only thing I would like that it doesn't have is the inactivity buzzer (so if you've been sitting still for too long, it tells you to move a bit) - the Jawbone has that feature, and is also one you wear on your wrist.

The Flex doesn't do steps either - but that's not a feature I would use anyway. The One does steps.

The Flex does do sleep monitoring but I don't use it. I know when I go to bed and get up, and if you're lying awake but not restless, it logs it as sleep, and nothing is more annoying than only getting 4 hours sleep but your gadget tells you you've had a great 8 hours :curse:
29 Mar 2014, 22:18
I started my fitbit life with a one, which I got second hand on ebay.
I was lucky to be given a flex for my birthday.

One V Flex
The one has a display which shows steps etc etc. it's battery life is about a week, its easily secreted about your body.
The flex doesn't have display but it buzzes at you when you've reached your goal, its shower proof, it's a sleep monitor, it's a bit bulky on your wrist (I catch it sometimes on stuff) and you leave it on (hopefully) and so you leave it at home less.

I wish the flex had a display, I know that the force does but we can't get them in the uk yet, my ideal fitbit would have a display, never need charging, be able to wear in the pool and shower. Be prettier and less bulky on my wrist.
So if you've got £ or $ I'd go for a force or flex. But the one is a great start,

All that said if you download the fitbit app and leave Bluetooth on you can always easily see what's going on with regards to fitbitting.
30 Mar 2014, 21:25
carieoates wrote: All that said if you download the fitbit app and leave Bluetooth on you can always easily see what's going on with regards to fitbitting.

This is why I've had no issue with the flex not having a display - I always have my phone on me, so if I ever want to see steps more accurately than percentage of my goal, it's right there.

Wearables are getting incredible now, sometimes feel like I'm living in the future :lol:
30 Mar 2014, 23:07
This going back to work has killed my stats and I'm bringing the whole team US down with me!

With the best will in the world, bundling up and walking before work or even after seems to be impossible. I work from home so apart from trips to the kitchen (which are infrequent on fast days) and multiple trips to the loo, I'm not very active. And when I travel, which I do a lot of, I'm even less active and have to avoid all that food :bugeyes: :confused:

So ... I've decided I'm going to join a nearby gym and go use their treadmill as I'm drinking my first cup of tea in the morning to get as many of the 10k steps I need. I'm going to try this out for a month and see how it works.

I'm going in tomorrow to join - hopefully that will keep stats more steady :like:
31 Mar 2014, 00:48
That's it, it must be @Jeninboston, bringing the team down. :lol:

Jen, I officially absolve you of responsibility in this matter. :lol:
And I commend you for joining the gym.

The weather is so nice lately here, and my work schedule so flexible, that I have no excuse at all for currently averaging less than 10000 steps myself. :frown:
31 Mar 2014, 01:59
wendyjane wrote: That's it, it must be @Jeninboston, bringing the team down. :lol:

Jen, I officially absolve you of responsibility in this matter. :lol:
And I commend you for joining the gym.

The weather is so nice lately here, and my work schedule so flexible, that I have no excuse at all for currently averaging less than 10000 steps myself. :frown:

Lol, love it. Needed some light humor before I headed to bed tonight so thanks wendyjane :grin: :lol:
31 Mar 2014, 02:44
Tuesday starts a new month TeamUSA...so it is important to start it off with a bang. I had a lousy week myself which is doubly bad since I have the St. Louis GO! marathon coming up next weekend. Well, I only walk the half but last year I logged over 30,000 steps that day. Part of it is from just walking to and from the start and end line.

Jen, my best advice is to try and get 5,000 steps in before breakfast. If you can do that you can usually get another 5,000 throughout the day. Work from home, hmmm, devise a plan that every time you go to the kitchen or bathroom that you circle your home for at least 500 steps...will just take you a few minutes.
31 Mar 2014, 03:01
I've been totally slacking as well. We got another cold spell, and terrible cramps, and I just don't wanna walk!!! *whine*

I know, I need to get back on it starting tomorrow. No excuses.
31 Mar 2014, 03:43
Hey all! Attention, fitbitters!
There's an April thread in the Glamping Grounds.
Okay, so I jumped the gun a bit, but I just wanted to name it.
Gotta get my kicks somehow....
31 Mar 2014, 05:38
I work from home, and also drink gazillion cups of tea in a day. Something I do is set a timer for half an hour, then do star jumps our go and feed the chooks our fetch in bins or something active. That helps. But I'm lucky to live in a place which is only child for a couple months a year, so it's never too horrible to walk. Your treadmill plan sounds like a great idea.

And yay for looking ahead to April, and our many many steps. We should see if we can beat the entire groups" March total
86 posts Page 6 of 6