The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

123 posts Page 3 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 Next
Re: The Fast-5 Tent
31 Mar 2014, 14:34
Hey @barbarita, how are you doing? I am doing really great! Almost 2 weeks in this window world :smile:
I can't believe how well this is working: I am not struggling with cravings, I am losing weight and actually it is going faster than expected!
Cheers for a successful week ahead buddy! :victory:
31 Mar 2014, 14:47
@Juliana.Rivers, no-one is going to kick anyone anywhere; you asked what Fast-5 is, we explained it, it does not appeal to you at all, fair enough. I will hopefully see you in the Nearly There tent in the summer - or will you have moved up to maintenance?

For the record, Fast-5 has been around since 2005 when Dr Herring published his free book; but I didn't know anything about it until some months after I started 5:2. I feel a great debt of gratitude to MM for introducing me to the idea of fasting via his programme and starting me off on it from the guidelines in his book. I just don't want to do it that way any more.

I'm certainly not here to try and convert anybody who is happily practising 5:2, I just love this site for being a,broad church for all IFers of whatever flavour to meet, chat and exchange info.
31 Mar 2014, 14:56
So, I'm camping in here today...19 hours fasting so far...in an effort to correct the over-eating of Mother's Day yesterday. I started out quite hungry this morning, no doubt due to the carb overload, but now it just feels like a normal 5:2 type fast day (I always did 24 hour fasts when I did 5:2).

I'm now waiting for OH to get back from work so we can have a cup of tea and I can break my fast with a snack while planning what to have for dinner. There's some left-over lamb from the roast yesterday, but I don't think it'll stretch to 3...might have to make a shepherd's pie from it plus lentils to make up for the lack of meat!
31 Mar 2014, 15:19
Hello Buddy @Iztla!

I'm doing great too, lots of fresh air and exercise last week; sticking to it at the start of week 15. Third week in a row that I have lost a pound, before that I was on a plateau for about a month. Plateaus seem to happen no matter what diet you are on.

I see from your profile that we started 5:2 on the very same day!

I can't get over how much I can eat on this WOL and still lose weight, I tried to explain to a friend that the reason she wasn't losing was that she didn't eat enough, judging by the undressed salad leaves and prawns she was eating as lunch out of a small Tupperware. She is not a faster, this is the WOE she learned at Rosemary Conley. Anyway, my idea just got met with incomprehension. Each to their own.

Are you following Dr Herring's suggestions for a goal weight - the 100 lbs plus 5 lbs for every inch taller than 5 foot? At first I thought, no way for a 60 something, but at ten pounds to go it might be possible if I hang in for another year. I will definitely stop if I see my ribs first, I can feel them but not see them :smile: .

You've got one more week before the magic 3 weeks when the scales should really start to move; I've got my fingers crossed for you :heart:

Barbara
31 Mar 2014, 15:27
Hi Barbarita,

I got Dr Herrings book early last year some time and it has become something of a bible for me, I still dip in and out of it frequently, more than I do with Dr Moseleys book. I initially found his goal weight calculations quite shocking, thought all the weights etc were too stringent but I found out that for me at least, he was spot on. Just love this book and the eating window way of life, can't imagine anything easier or more effective.

Ballerina x :heart:
31 Mar 2014, 15:28
One of many things I miss out on by not being a mother, @carorees; poor me only has birthday and Christmas to have a guilt-free pig out! Come on, you're worth it, and already back on the paths of righteousness :smile:
31 Mar 2014, 15:59
Hmmm, 5ft4.5=120+22.5=142.5lb=64.6kg. I'm currently planning on going into maintenance at 66.5kg. I have a medium to large frame, so I think 64.6 would be too low at my age and build. Plus the loose skin and still biggish boobies must add a kg or two eh? It'll be v interesting to see what happens. Current measurements are 38-28-38 but I have a vague memory of being 36-26-36 in my teens, don't remember being under 10 stone 7lb (147lb) though...is it mad to try to get back down there?

PS don't you love the way I mix imperial and metric measures?!
31 Mar 2014, 16:29
Sorry, there was a typo, it is 100 lbs plus 5 lbs for every inch over 5 ft, so it is even worse! I am a small to medium framed 5' 4" so that makes my goal weight 120 lbs or 8 stones 8 lbs. I was 8 stones 4 lbs for a while in my 30s when I got bit by the aerobics/jogging craze. Somebody from the Ramblers was a bit concerned about me until I told them what I was eating (entire Sara Lee chocolate gateaux for example - I may have been stupid, but not anorexic or bulimic, the running was a means to pig outs without weight gain).

The question is, as a 60 something who now eats a healthy lower carb diet, is 8 stone 8 lbs achievable or desirable? I can only watch carefully, pound by pound to make sure I do not get too bony, and if I am looking that way will go into maintenance at that weight, whatever it is. It would help if I could get an accurate body fat percentage, but only have regular scales)
31 Mar 2014, 17:19
Gulp! I'm never going to make 122.5lbs! I don't think I was ever that weight apart from, presumably, for a short time in my teens! Think I'll stick to my original plan, which is to weigh something that I can actually remember being once upon a time! Anyway, I now have a healthy waist: hip ratio (0.73 - anything under 0.8 puts one in the lowest health risk category), healthy waist:height ratio (0.43 - should be 0.4-0.5), healthy fat % (31% - should be 23-35% at my age) and am (just) in the healthy BMI bracket.
31 Mar 2014, 17:50
I'm in today - usually do zero cal fast on a Monday, but have been invited out for birthday drinks tonight, so I opened the window at 5. Wondering if to try this all week, although it wont help me get through my egg glut !
31 Mar 2014, 19:08
Have read the latter part of this thread with interest :like: :lol: especially as my last name is Herring :lol: :lol: :lol: (No I don't think I'm related :wink: )

It all makes a lot of sense to me. Have been doing 5:2 and 16:8 since last summer, (and since @Ballerina was first posting about it on the forum) - it has worked, but weight loss has slowed since xmas, after losing a stone (10% of my body weight,) I do feel I need to lose a bit more off my waist (current ratio to hip is just over 0.8) so this might be a way to kickstart that last bit of weight /inch loss. I am not discouraged - quite the opposite - but just want to 'finish the job' over the summer, then move on to be a 'mainteneer' .

I think that one does have to consider all angles, and not discount anything. There are plenty of people on this forum who have carefully weighed up the options with an open mind - and have reaped the results because of this. I think a careful consideration of the options at several key points - and being ready and open to change - throughout each individual journey is the way to go, and I like @barbarita's comment about it being a 'broad church' - this WoE is about coming together, tolerance and understanding - not division, closed minds and inflexibility. (Not remotely religious by the way :wink: ). And that is truly something to be celebrated.
31 Mar 2014, 22:24
barbarita wrote: @Juliana.Rivers, no-one is going to kick anyone anywhere; you asked what Fast-5 is, we explained it, it does not appeal to you at all, fair enough. I will hopefully see you in the Nearly There tent in the summer - or will you have moved up to maintenance?

For the record, Fast-5 has been around since 2005 when Dr Herring published his free book; but I didn't know anything about it until some months after I started 5:2. I feel a great debt of gratitude to MM for introducing me to the idea of fasting via his programme and starting me off on it from the guidelines in his book. I just don't want to do it that way any more.

I'm certainly not here to try and convert anybody who is happily practising 5:2, I just love this site for being a,broad church for all IFers of whatever flavour to meet, chat and exchange info.

Yes me too.. love it in the forum and do really appreciate that we can share ideas and we all do whatever we feel is the best flavour of IF for ourselves . and thank you for you reply.
01 Apr 2014, 18:15
I am strongly considering switching over to time restricted eating after reading your posts and researching this on the net. Plus I ordered a few books on this topic which should keep me busy.

The idea of not counting any calories at all is very appealing.

I did read you are allowed less than 40 cals of coffee with milk, tea, etc. in the morning. This came from the 8 hour Diet by Zincenko. Anyone allowing themselves this?
01 Apr 2014, 18:54
Blimey! ... Fast 5 :shock: .... There are so many variations to this diet.
Yesterday I read about the 4 apple fast & today it's Fast 5 :lol:

I wonder what tomorrow will bring :?: :like:
01 Apr 2014, 18:57
AQuariuS wrote: Blimey! ... Fast 5 :shock: .... There are so many variations to this diet.
Yesterday I read about the 4 apple fast & today it's Fast 5 :lol:

I wonder what tomorrow will bring :?: :like:

Probably a NUMBER of things :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 Next
123 posts Page 3 of 9