The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

50 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: The Pilgrim's Progress
27 Oct 2013, 19:41
I guess no one fasts on Sundays. I looked for the thread - doesn't seem to be one. So I'll just note here that I'm doing an unusual Sunday fast. Leaving to go to my mom's place on Thursday. No fun fasting while traveling, especially since I meet up with my brother in the Denver airport and we might want to grab a bite before the flight. So this week will be a Sunday and Wednesday week instead of my usual Monday and Thursday.
27 Oct 2013, 20:50
Hi Wendy well I am a scales obsessive. It is amazing how they change throughout the day and what things weigh, tee hee, interesting about the shower as I think that has happened to me and I have thought ...what?

Good advice though it is the trend, take the lowest reading, first thing in morning though isn't always lowest but as soon as you start eating and drinking desist you will see the scales increasing. Might have to add showering to the list.

Best of luck you are nearly there and I do hope it is a smooth down hill run to your goal :smile:
28 Oct 2013, 03:47
I'm done with my Sunday fast. Successful, although for dinner I had a small piece of homemade mac and cheese (do the British eat mac n cheese?) which was made with whole wheat noodles, but still not my usual low carb fasting meal. Nevertheless, that and the salad and steamed cauliflower definitely under 500 cal.

I leave for my mom's on Thursday, and Wednesday may be devoted in part to making some food for my kitchen-challenged husband to eat while I'm gone.

So should I do my second fast of the week on Tuesday, so soon after today's (Sunday)?? Or try to fast as I'm cooking on Wednesday (did that last time before I traveled - cooked and fasted on the same day. It's not much fun but doable).

I await your advice.
28 Oct 2013, 05:43
Try Tuesday and keep Wednesday as your back up plan. Although it would also depend on how long before you could fast again. I really don't like to go 5 days before having a fast...or at least a half fast (dinner = >500 cal)
28 Oct 2013, 06:43
I fasted Sunday but didn't start a thread sorry about that as usually do and maybe I should have because when I cooked dinner for DH I taste tested it and it was awful. Moroccan Chicken tagine. So I had to resurrect it which meant tasting the ingredients together and I was liquid fasting. Most probably came in at 600 cal.

wendyjane I do like Pilgrims Progress. Am reading books about the Cammino in Spain I think anyway a Pilgrims journey 5:2 with all the ups and downs ...clever you :)
28 Oct 2013, 21:56
It turned out there was a Sunday thread already, @gillymary. Sorry about your Sunday, but today is a new day. Or tomorrow that is, cause I think it might be tomorrow where you are :confused:
Now two people have recommended the Pilgrim's Progress, so I think I will read it. I wonder if I can get it for free on my Kindle? Then I could bring it on my trip this weekend and read it while hanging out with my Jewish brother and agnostic ex-Jewish mother. :grin:

Good point about the fasting spacing, @GoLinda. New plan is to cook tomorrow, Tuesday, and then fast Wednesday. I know from experience I won't eat that much at my mom's anyway, as there is little of interest in her fridge, and we always have dinner in the dining room down the hall in her complex. The food is passable, but nothing worth writing home about :smile:
29 Oct 2013, 04:15
@wendyjane Yep it is Tuesday here. Time to plan when my other 5:2 day is this Week

Am going to see if pilgrims progress is a free book and download it onto my iPad.

Monday and Thursdays I found to be good days to fast. A gang of people here fast those days so you have lots of company . That helps. Enjoy you family times. Might be a good day to fast at your mothers with less temptation. Enjoy your trip
29 Oct 2013, 16:15
Problem with a fast at my mom's is that I'm not sure I want to confess to my brother about the whole fasting thing. He (and his wife and daughter too) is one of those people who has a BMI of about 18 and always has and has no idea what it means to need to lose weight or to try to lose weight. My husband and two of our kids are the same way.
30 Oct 2013, 05:16
I have a copy of The Pilgrim's Progress on my Kindle, I've made an enchilada casserole and rice to leave for hubs (is that British, I wonder, or just this forum's slang?), I'm fasting tomorrow, and I leave Thurs morning. All systems go!

Guess I'll also weigh on Thurs morning (usually Friday), and check in with the Progress Tracker and the Christmas Club Queen. Hope there's good news on the scale to speed me on my way...
30 Oct 2013, 06:37
wendyjane wrote: I'm done with my Sunday fast. Successful, although for dinner I had a small piece of homemade mac and cheese (do the British eat mac n cheese?) which was made with whole wheat noodles, but still not my usual low carb fasting meal. Nevertheless, that and the salad and steamed cauliflower definitely under 500 cal.

I leave for my mom's on Thursday, and Wednesday may be devoted in part to making some food for my kitchen-challenged husband to eat while I'm gone.

So should I do my second fast of the week on Tuesday, so soon after today's (Sunday)?? Or try to fast as I'm cooking on Wednesday (did that last time before I traveled - cooked and fasted on the same day. It's not much fun but doable).

I await your advice.

Yes we eat mac and cheese in England, but it is very carbiferous as you know so not very often. Good luck with your fast day :like: :like:
05 Nov 2013, 06:46
wendyjane wrote: Problem with a fast at my mom's is that I'm not sure I want to confess to my brother about the whole fasting thing. He (and his wife and daughter too) is one of those people who has a BMI of about 18 and always has and has no idea what it means to need to lose weight or to try to lose weight. My husband and two of our kids are the same way.

Would you believe it - my brother and my mother both noticed I'd lost weight. And indeed, there was limited stuff to eat in my mom's apt, so although we went out for a couple of nice meals, I didn't overdo it. Tune in on Friday for the pilgrim's progress...

(didn't get past the first couple pages of the book, BTW)
09 Nov 2013, 07:22
More despondency here. I think I'll turn this into a 4:3 week and fast tomorrow. Haven't done three fasts in a week yet, but seeing the number on the scale a pound and a half higher than last week was definitely a bummer. Once again I jumped on and off 200 more times (okay, maybe 8), but I had to concede and take the average, which was also the first reading.

I still have hopes of being all "done" by Thanksgiving. And if that's not in the cards, Christmas will do.
10 Nov 2013, 02:35
Third fast of the week - DONE.

Tomorrow, birthday brunch and evening out with my favorite peeps.

Monday, fast day.

Then we'll see...
13 Nov 2013, 05:27
Today (not a fast day) I ate a cranberry bagel, a couple of handfuls of tortilla chips, some crackers, a piece of leftover whole wheat pancake from my birthday brunch - plus my homemade lentil and sausage soup for dinner and some yogurt for breakfast. I think I might be becoming a carboholic, like so many around here. I am not totally opposed to carbs, but enough is enough.

So I'm resolved to add a carb-free (or nearly) day to my week. Tomorrow I will just have yogurt for breakfast, salad and cheese and sliced deli turkey for lunch, and more lentil soup for dinner. There. It's in writing. Now hold me to it.

PS I will probably finish my pancake too, but there is not much of it left. It was about 12 inches across - ridiculously enormous. But very tasty.
50 posts Page 2 of 4