The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

60 posts Page 1 of 4
Tims ADF Journal
15 Jan 2014, 21:51
Hey everyone,

Over the Christmas break I slipped away from 5.2 but am now back. During that time I had been doing a lot of reading and my latest read has been Krista Varady's Book.

The main reason I first begun 5.2 was because of the supposed health benefits, and while I know many are getting these with 5.2 I have decided personally I would like to follow Krista's original plan which is tried and tested to give these benefits.

In a way I am glad I stopped as I wanted this process to be a bit of a self experiment too and when I first started out on 5.2 I rushed into it and saw fast loss which meant I missed getting the tests done which might show me any changes.

With the gap I have spent off the diet I am now back to within 2KG of my last start point.

What will I be doing with my diet?

I will be following ADF as per Krista's book. This involves feast followed by diet. Diet days will be 500 Cal or less most likely split up as one meal of 400 cal and a snack of 100 as per the book.

I will also be upping my exercise level to complement this. I am getting a treadmill which I plan to be using for daily exercise but also I will be trialling some HIIT routines. This involves short bursts of intense exercise a few times per week.

What will I be measuring?

I have had a blood sample sent off to get IGF-1 tested (results should be back any day now hopefully!)

Exercise Related

Resting Heart Rate = 74
Max Heart Rate = 186 (just for reference in measuring VO2 max)
VO2 Max = 38.5 (fair for age... which is below average - I want to be good haha)

Diet Related

Weight = 90.2 KG
BMI = 29.79

Waist = 107 CM
Hips (around Butt) = 102 CM
Thigh = 63 CM
Neck = 40 CM

So that's me - I will share more info on the exact exercise routine I decide on once I have established it. And I do plan to post a shameful before photo... (just put that in there to pressure myself into it haha)
Re: Tims ADF Journal
16 Jan 2014, 09:35
Good luck with that Tim. You certainly sound organised! I look forward to hearing about your results. Maybe you should keep a blog

Bean :sleepy:
21 Jan 2014, 04:56
Today is my first day of ADF. What makes it harder is I am travelling for work all week! (picked a great week to start huh...)

My view was that if I cant make it work this week then its not going to be practical for me. So rather than put it off I am going all in.

My plan while away is to survive off Subway, in NZ subway has an app for your phone for placing orders and as you build your sub or salad on the app it tells you the calorie intake for each item you add. This makes dieting a breeze!

Today I had an oat and raisin cookie as my snack around lunch time. I then had a Chicken Salad for dinner and I still have 40 cals left which I kept as backup in case I got super hungry - then I could have a miso soup as well.

Its currently 6pm and the salad has my hunger suppressed. I don't know that I will need the Miso Soup.

All in all I think a successful first day. It will be interesting to see what the scales say at the end of the week (I usually weigh daily so its frustrating not having scales to check lol)
21 Jan 2014, 07:35
Looking forward to comparing and contrasting ADF with you!Gallivanting around won't be easy at all while fasting, at least I am trapped with bad food so I have no excuse!
I have picked up a super cheap pair of scales from Kmart and am using them daily. I'm sure they are measuring 4kg to much :wink:
Doing HIT too on fast days.

Good luck!!
24 Jan 2014, 21:53
Alright so I was planning to start on the 17th Hence the starting weight on Progress tracker. But then we had family come to stay which we hadn't seen in over a year. My starting weight officially was 89.5 but after a weekend of hugely over eating I didn't get started until the Monday. On Monday I weighed in at 90.9 today I am 88.9 a loss of 2 KG!

I must mention this was while away all week for work surviving on just takeaways!

That's 2 fast days doing EOD/ADF what a great start. Third fast is today and I must admit they are getting harder quick! I am finding each fast day I am getting hungrier earlier so it will be interesting to see how this carries on as after 2 weeks it supposedly gets better (I know it did on 5.2 so I don't see why this would be any different)

Heres to perseverance! :beer:
25 Jan 2014, 03:04
Hi there,
It looks as though we are fasting the same days, my third is today too. I garee I was hungry this mornnig, but it has passed now and I am sipping fizzy water. Are you calorie counting or cutting carbs on your eating days? I am not really looking too hard at the calories I am putting in my mouth although I am not eating bread, rice etc at the moment and have upped my fat. I am definitely not stuffing myself though!
Good luck with your efforts!
25 Jan 2014, 04:25
Just strict 500 on fast day and don't care on feast day - needs to be simple for me :-)

So are you doing ADF as well or 4.3?
25 Jan 2014, 04:54
@tbrewerton and @debs. Thinking of joining you for a while on this to get me back in the swing of things now I have moved. What days do you fast? Not that I want to copy you or anything....... :bugeyes:
25 Jan 2014, 05:01
I am literally doing Every Other Day. so today is Sat so I will do Mon Wed Fri Sun in the coming week then Tues Thurs Sat the next week
25 Jan 2014, 05:27
Hi both,
I am doing ADF the same as Tim!
25 Jan 2014, 05:38
We must have been hanging out too much as it seems our schedules have aligned lol
25 Jan 2014, 05:49
Ah ha, I have a lot in common with Kiwis. Down on the Aussies whenever possible!
25 Jan 2014, 07:37
TBrewerton wrote: That's 2 fast days doing EOD/ADF what a great start. Third fast is today and I must admit they are getting harder quick! I am finding each fast day I am getting hungrier earlier so it will be interesting to see how this carries on as after 2 weeks it supposedly gets better (I know it did on 5.2 so I don't see why this would be any different)

Heres to perseverance! :beer:

When I first started 4:3, I found the third fast the hardest. The two day break was so sweet. I can't imagine doing EOD in those days, thought now I think it wouldn't bug me.

Congrats on your progress! Gambatte!
25 Jan 2014, 08:54
Its almost 10pm on fast day three and a perfect fast day. Just slightly hungry but not to bad.

Really really stoked with my progress so far - its been hard a wont lie but the satisfaction at the end of day makes it worth it.
25 Jan 2014, 09:13
Hi Tim, I've been doing the EOD diet as per Dr Varaday this week (really needed a boost). This first week I have lost 4 lb. so far I'm finding it pretty easy. It's a shame, though, because I think I am out of sync with you and @Debs never mind, there are birthdays coming up!

Good luck fellow EODers!

Bean :dazed:
60 posts Page 1 of 4