The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

40 posts Page 1 of 3
Monthly weigh in results!
09 Apr 2013, 14:16
I've crunched all the numbers and here are the results:

The total loss from the 120 people who posted their results is a massive 290 kg!!
The total reduction in waist size from the 95 people who posted results is 284 cm!

Woo hoo! That's a fantastic loss! :victory:

Among the women, the biggest loser was aamy who lost 7.03kg! :star:
For the men, the biggest loser was Dsmith30's OH who lost 8.18kg! :star:
Congrats both.

The average loss for women was 2.28 kg (5.0 lb) or 0.46kg/week (1.0 lb); the median loss was 1.82 kg (n=107)
The average loss for men was 3.58 kg (7.8 lb) or 0.71 kg/week (1.6 lb); the median loss was 3.52 kg (n=13)

So the average weight loss was just as expected for women at 1 lb per week. :fat:

For the nerdy types: the standard deviation for women was 1.52 kg and for men was 2.37 kg. Regarding the questionnaire, I suggest sending them to those women who are in the top 20% and bottom 20% of weight loss. This does overlap the SD for the lowest losers but not the high losers. For men there are so few users perhaps the top and bottom 3 should fill in the questionnaire?

The excel spreadsheet can be found here. Can you statistical wizards check it out and let me know if you agree with my choice of who should fill in the questionnaire?

Next weigh in will be May 4th...see you there!
Re: Monthly weigh in results!
09 Apr 2013, 14:29
How about upper and lower quartile ? Only a few more but may be handy.

Be tempted to do either no men or all of them.

So nobody gained ?
09 Apr 2013, 14:33
Good job everybody!!!
Canny wait for the next weigh in! When's that. BTW?
09 Apr 2013, 14:57
Thank you Caroline for all your work on this. At least I seem to be losing the average pound a week, slow but at least my trend is downwards which continues to be encouraging. :smile:
09 Apr 2013, 15:02
@PhilT: oh bother, bother, bother...there was someone who gained! I think my sorting of the spreadsheet data may have stripped off the minus sign I put in. I'll have to go through the thread and find it.

I chose quintiles to try to prevent too much overlap with the SD but I've now checked what diet everyone was on (not everyone posted this but I assumed if they didn't say that it was 5:2) and a 6 ladies in the top quintile were doing 4:3 so they need to be excluded I would imagine. So perhaps quartiles would be better even though there is an overlap? That would give us 25-ish slow losers to compare with 25-ish fast losers.

@TML13: I've added the next weigh in date to the first post...thanks for reminding me!
09 Apr 2013, 15:05
MAY 4TH!!!
The day that my first circle of 5:2 will end (then comes Easter, LOL) and hopefully I will have lost a stone!!!
What a lovely coincidence, canny wait!!!
09 Apr 2013, 15:22
Caroline, thank you for all your work on this. (Oh, I wish I was a nerd sometimes!)
09 Apr 2013, 15:26
Thank you Caroline for all the work you put into this - you're a star :star: Congratulations aamy and Dsmith30 - amazing, well done!
I agree with Doodle.... wish I was a nerd sometimes too but it just goes right over the top !! :bugeyes:
09 Apr 2013, 17:05
Caroline,
This is brilliant information for us all, thanks so much for all the work you've put into it.

Aamy and Dsmith, well done to both of you for such fantastic results.
09 Apr 2013, 17:58
thanks so much for your information....

I had a setback this week due to assuming the fast would take care of going a little overboard on parties and dinners out, meaning french fries once,, sushi, tempura and wine with a couple of meals......I'm wondering if people have found it necessary to cut out alcohol in order to continue their weight loss....or if people need to count calories on "feast days".

How does one determine how many calories are "allowed" on feast days in order for weight loss to occur?

I would love to hear from someone about this.

thanks,
bocamocha
09 Apr 2013, 18:05
Bocamoca - try a TDEE (total daily energy expendture) calculator, such as this one:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/ ... lator.html

Might be a good idea to count to begin with if you think you are going vastly over your requirement on normal days.
09 Apr 2013, 18:12
I haven't cut alcohol but normally I drink about a bottle of wine a week- half a bottle on Wed and the other half on Saturday. On some weeks I've had a little more if I've been out though and it hasn't affected weight loss - though I don't have any on fast days of course. The only week I didn't lose weight though was when I had had a VERY big Saturday night and drank two bottles of wine that evening - oops. I lost two pounds last week though after having chocolate, wine and roast dinner on Easter Sunday!
09 Apr 2013, 18:48
Thank you Caroline. I can't open the excel spreadsheet on my laptop, but will try again on main 'pooter.
The results are quite amazing.
09 Apr 2013, 19:28
Caroline, first off, thanks! Great info! I suck at stats with Excel, but from the difference between median and mean the data have a skewed distribution. Therefore, using quartiles (or quintiles) seems correct to me regardless of SD.

There are so few men (and one of them is doing ADF) that I do not think the data will be very reliable. You could still try upper/lower 4.

Interesting to see that almost all 4:3ers end up in the upper quintile.
09 Apr 2013, 19:46
Thanks Caroline so much for all you do ! That 's great that my husband was the biggest loser (although wish it was me :( He is really doing so well that we are both amazed and encouraged. Most of all is how much better we feel. He has not tried dieting for years and had literally thrown the towel in as the scale continued to climb. Maybe not dieting recently is helpful. Congratulations everybody :)
40 posts Page 1 of 3