The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

31 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Breakfast or no breakfast?
05 Mar 2013, 10:21
I remember being a lad, and my brother who is rather large, and was then, ate a bowl of cereal at bed time in case he didn't have time in the morning for his breakfast!

He really is the definition of living to eat, rather than the reverse.
05 Mar 2013, 10:33
That's so funny Bob.
I'm currently reading an old book that was a free kindle download that somebody posted about on this forum.
It was written by a Dr who recommended fasting to his ill patients with positive results.
It makes a very interesting read, and affirms all the principles we are adhering to.
He recommends skipping breakfast everyday.
I have been doing this since I started reading the book, and feel like I am more productive rather like on a normal fast day.
05 Mar 2013, 16:55
I started eating breakfast, not because I was hungry but because I kept reading that I should and that people who skipped brekky were more likely to be over weight etc. Ive ditched the breakfast again ,I find if I eat early in the day I am hungry for the rest of the day but if i get up and know I wont eat until mid afternoon I feel fine and dont get hun gry.I have hot drinks and maybe a cup of bouillon.
This WOE has removed a lot of food angst from me.I feel much freer and dont waste so much time thinking about food.
06 Mar 2013, 13:42
On feed days I've started having, literally, a handful of nuts - almonds, cashews and pecans. Works out about 4 of each. This first thing with the first cup of tea. I've found I then do best on brunch and dinner as proper meals, and rarely want to snack at all. Nuts have a good protein content and I love them so seemed like a practical start to the day. :0)
07 Mar 2013, 04:01
I always have eaten breakfast in the morning whether hungry or not. Today was my first fast day that I decided to skip it(been doing this about a month and a half). I felt fine and not hungry at all, even though I work at a restaurant. Strangely, food smelled good, but I had no discomfort or stomach pangs. I am considering quitting breakfast of feed days as well, as I was absolutely ravenous on my last feed day at work, after an egg white omelet with mushrooms and peppers. Do you think this is a good idea?
07 Mar 2013, 09:05
I think it's ok as long as you still end up eating around your TDEE on the feed day. I am trending to have a late breakfast on feed days rather than skip it completely (otherwise I would have cake and coffee at coffee time instead which is not a good breakfast). By having a late breakfast I'm not tempted to have cake with my mid morning coffee!
09 Apr 2013, 18:28
I thought that part of the 5:2 thing was that a small breakfast would stimulate your digestion but not too much, and without creating a huge load of extra energy to burn, helping to get your body using it's energy reserves on a fast day?

Certainly, Michael Mosley describes in the book how he still has a breakfast every day, but even on normal days now skips lunch sometimes. I could definitely eat that way myself.

It does sound as if someone may have made a sweeping statement off the back of some basic data vis a vis the importance of breakfast, but it would be equally silly to stop without any more scientific evidence to the contrary!

Only today, there was an article in a newspaper about a train company struggling with passengers getting sick or fainting on the morning commute. They have had to suggest that a decent breakfast might go some way to reduce delays.
09 Apr 2013, 18:35
I always find eating breakfast just makes me hungrier throughout the day. Im only on my second fast day now but haven't had breakfast on either and chose to do lunch and dinner instead. I think its a mental thing that we think we need to eat first thing on a morning.
09 Apr 2013, 18:37
Usually just have white coffee if I'm hungry, but I think it's better to skip if possible.
I love breakfast on feast days though, bagels :heart:
09 Apr 2013, 20:19
Breakfast on feed days, always. I quite happily skip lunch or a meal in the evening but rarely my breakfast now, except when I fast.
09 Apr 2013, 20:49
On fast days, I have a black coffee and only eat in the evening.

On feed days, it depends. I'm rarely ravenous. What I tend to do is have a latte when I get to the office, then have an early lunch and then dinner. Otherwise, I find that I eat breakfast, still want some lunch (but later) and then can't enjoy dinner.

On other feed days, I wake up hungry, am still hungry after the cycle so I have a slice of granary bread with peanut butter and a banana mashed in. Mmmmmm
10 Apr 2013, 01:10
I've been following the diet the way Dr. M described in the book: breakfast when I get up and dinner as late as I can bear it, leaving a 10-12 hour true fast in between. But, like alot of people here it seems, it is not my habit to eat breakfast, certainly not first thing in the morning. I tend to get hungry once I'm fully awake, a couple of hours after getting up. The trouble with that is my food choices are limited at work. I recently saw the Horizon show and noticed Dr. M started the diet by having a single meal at midday. I'm thinking about giving this a whirl.
10 Apr 2013, 02:50
I have noticed that my feed day breakfasts are getting later and later and I think it would be easy to skip them altogether as I do on fast days, with no ill effects. I usually eat a fresh fruit salad which seems to suit me well.
10 Apr 2013, 04:01
Well today is a fast day and when I heated my vegie soup for bfst I didn't have time to eat it AND catch the train, so I decided to dump bfst and see if it was true that I would be less hungry. No! Starving from the beginning, so rather than feel hungry all day I will go back to soup for brekky and then only feel hungry-ish half the day. I did have only half the soup on last fast with the rest mid afternoon when I got home from work and this was brilliant. Def a brekky girl, can skip lunch OK but I'm ready to gnaw the handrails off the train today :razz: :wink:
31 posts Page 2 of 3