The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 16 of 19
Previous 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
Might help if I put the link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0366xsd

p.s. not to get into the Marmite/vegemite debate - although Marmite is clearly better - I love it on toast, crumpets - any toasted bread product... something about the savoury taste... drool...
Marmite rules, Vegemite's puke!

Greenmonster, you just woke up a memory! I had a great-aunt whose husband was a cheapskate and she used plastic tubs instead of Tupperware. My mum used to spend some time in her house and she hated the whole tub-instead-of-tupper story (mind you great-aunt and her husband were 100 times richer than my mum's family) so everytime we went to the supermarket and when my dad suggested we buy something she used to say "I can't buy that, my aunt stores her teeth in that"!!! It was soooooo funny, I still see brands in the supermarket and I remember of my great-aunt's house!!!

BTW, when her husband died she discovered that he saved tons of money and she spent all of it before she died. She still kept her teeth in the margarine tub though, he he.
Vegemite is a taste probably most acquired down under

It used to be my go to with very fresh bread and keeping to the thread lashings of butter yum
Have you seen what Nigella Lawson does with Marmite? When she had a bunch of school kids around (I think we are going back at least 5 years), she used to put a big dollop of marmite and a bigger dollop of butter into a jug and use a stick blender to whizz it all up. It made an easy to use spread that had the colour of peanut butter but was a proper marmite flavour. It just spread so easy on soft fresh bread as it was pre softened by whizzing.
I always spread marmite oh hot and crispy toast and it spreads nicely. But if you have lots of people to feed, it is a bad idea. :-)
TML13 wrote: I always spread marmite oh hot and crispy toast and it spreads nicely. But if you have lots of people to feed, it is a bad idea. :-)

TML - thought for the minute you were going to say, 'marmite on weetabix' - bleuurrggh! :shock: :sick: :shutmouth:
Just to be clear, Weetabix is not in my daily diet. My parents used to buy them and I ate a couple of them if I was too hungry and wanted something simple and quick.
TML13 wrote: Just to be clear, Weetabix is not in my daily diet. My parents used to buy them and I ate a couple of them if I was too hungry and wanted something simple and quick.

Very pleased to hear that :wink: :razz:
Silverdarling wrote:
TML13 wrote: Just to be clear, Weetabix is not in my daily diet. My parents used to buy them and I ate a couple of them if I was too hungry and wanted something simple and quick.

Very pleased to hear that :wink: :razz:

Pfffffffffffffft :cool:
What's wrong with Weetabix? I don't get them as I don't really like the way they get too mushy but given they are just 100% whole wheat or whatever there's not too much wrong with it (unless you think carbs are bad of course but we won't get into that here). The cereal of choice in our house is fruit & fibre - my husband can go through a box in about 4 days.

My favourite sandwiches growing up (and really still are, especially if on a long hillwalk) were grated cheese and marmite. I've heard of the Nigella marmite/butter thing but don't know if I could bring myself to do it - I love the glossiness of marmite.

Anyway we are getting of the topic of this thread - BUTTTER!

Now to combine it with all the long thread on coconut oil, perhaps we need to have one on coconut butter? Hard to get here in the UK though so we might not have much to say about it..
I remember being traumatized with the smell of marmite when I lived in England. Some people ate it for breakfast on toast with butter

Since I began dieting, my tastes changed a lot. Now, when I put butter on someting I really taste the butter. I mean, nothing is more tastefull now than a baked potato with fresh butter on it....
Food of the gods!! Lurpack is the favourite in our house, nothing nicer than home made bread, butter and marmite.
I have given up the diet, low fat, pretend, so called healthy fat spreads as I find butter etc. more filling and satisfying and eat less (well sometimes!).
And what about the fat that looks like mousse ? It's a new product here and I must say it freaks me out !

The light butter has no taste and is full of water. I tried it once but I gave it up just as fast and it was when I began cooking with olive oil
This is a bad idea to check this thread on a fast day! Now I'm totally craving marmite on buttery toast. I ALWAYS used to have that before an exam, with a pot of tea.

Breakfast tomorrow is sorted though!
greenmonster wrote: What's wrong with Weetabix? I don't get them as I don't really like the way they get too mushy

Greenmonster, you said it :shock: but it's also the dryness without milk! So horrible every which way! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Previous 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 Next
275 posts Page 16 of 19