The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 13 of 19
Previous 1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19 Next
Reporting back that I did make my own butter this morning. Woke with the intent of a 5:2 as the next few days are busy. On my list was make butter So when beating the double cream it very quickly (note to self watch out when beating double cream next time) turned lumpy and changed colour and I just added some salt flakes once I had squeezed all out fluid. Bingo butter. So I taste tested a tad ... Yum ... Had to taste test the commercial brand ... Not as nice as mine.

By this time starving so went for the ultimate test fried mushrooms in some of my butter, then pretty quickly in went a beaten egg and a grind of salt &pepper & having been a fan of FatDog's thread, in went the Stilton. Sorry TML! :( Breakfast heaven. Oh it was so nice. But not satisfied yet. Had to fossick in the back of the freezer for my last attempt at bread making. Found what I was after - rye and spelt loaf. So I toasted a tiny slice of that and again tried my butter and my recently made marmalade with 2 mugs of tea from my special supply of loose leaf tea.

Blew the 5:2 in spectacular style :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: There is always tomorrow
gillymary wrote: Reporting back that I did make my own butter this morning. Woke with the intent of a 5:2 as the next few days are busy. On my list was make butter ...
Blew the 5:2 in spectacular style :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: There is always tomorrow

Love it gillymary - this is what 5:2 is all about :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :grin: :grin: !

Who'd have thought a 'what do you think about butter thread' would have resulted in making some! Only on the Forums!! :lol: :lol:

It's a Sunday morning here, just weighed self and another pound lost - am off to search for FatDog's recipes tout' suite ... :wink:
Silver darling you will be salivating too some great recipes, am sorely tempted to just cook all of FatDogs recipes means low carb vegetarian but am so inclined anyway
Variety is the spice of life / all in life's rich tapestry, etc etc!

Don't usually go for low carb veggie, but DO go for whatever sounds tasty and unusual!
Great to get so many different ideas on here - part of the journey!

:like: :like: :like:
Make my own butter... sounds goooood!
How much fat does double cream have? I wonder if I can find an equivalent here...
In America its called heavy cream if thats any help.
Today should be a fast day for me. But I am starting to find the 2:1 a bit wearing. Its effective but its getting predictable and boring. Its nearly lunch and I've only had one cup of tea with about a pint of water, I will see what my diet buddy says about doing a 16:8 today instead of a full fast. Then by the time I get to the 8 hour window I may feel more inclined to do the full fast. Talk of bread and butter isn't helping as I have a fresh loaf sat on the worktop looking at me with words saying 'toast me and spread that luscious butter all over my crispness, you know you want to do it.'
Has anyone the link to Fat Dog. All I get on google is links to making low fat hot dogs or how to treat your obese dog.
Julieathome wrote: Has anyone the link to Fat Dog. All I get on google is links to making low fat hot dogs or how to treat your obese dog.

Are you looking for her low-carb thread? progress-f4/topic6427.html
A little of what you like is good for you
We have quite a lot of double cream now as OH was getting too thin, so now he has it on his muesli and I have it on my porridge. I figure it's better to have some fat than sugar.

Had homemade butter a couple of times. Perhaps next time I go to Costco, I'll pick up a lot of cream and make some.
Thanks for the link Betsygirl.
We occasionally go to 'Bookers' its a commercial 'cash and carry' to top up some essentials (I managed to wangle a card) and they very often have 2 or 4 pints of double cream in the reduced section. I very rarely manage to use it all up before it goes off. I think a bit of home made butter would be nice the next time I get some.
For goodness sake you lot, will you stop talking about TOAST,PLEASE???? You all know how to drive a woman wild. Actually, home made butter is fab,very expensive but it is great fun to make and washing down the kitchen walls and ceiling afterwards certainly takes one's mind off TOAST! :lol: :grin: :lol: :starving:

Ballerina x :heart:

P.S. M&S Normandy butter with crushed sea salt crystals is to die for, yum, yum £1.65 per pack, oooh!!!!!! :starving: :heart:
TML13 wrote: Make my own butter... sounds goooood!
How much fat does double cream have? I wonder if I can find an equivalent here...

I love butter too, and all your threads jogged my childhood memories so I thought some might be interested in what we were up to in the 1950s in tropical Africa: my mother could get local milk which had to be pasteurised then churned in the Kenwood mixer (had electricity!) and got a small block of butter. What a treat that was for us children!

In later years there was no cream, but you could buy salted butter produced in Kenya. I now remember how it got melted in hot water to dissolve the salt out, leaving unsalted butter floating on top. Next was to separate the melted butter and heat with milk. That was then pumped through a tight valve in a little hand pump (bought in England) and the thick cream that came through was fantastic. We then had REAL ice cream too. I still have the "Bell Cream Maker" in the attic.
Strangely I too have lived in bush communities where my OH worked in soil conservation. Guess what, I was armed with a cream maker ! Very popular. Love of butter and cream runs in the family.
Back at home in UK for many years now and I now sometimes remember to appreciate supermarkets. :grin:
Ballerina - just to let you know, I didn't have toast for breakfast this morning, I had a bacon sarnie instead ...

Just saying ...

Xxx
But Gillymary had TOAST! :lol: :grin: :lol: :starving: :lol: :shock: :victory:

Ballerina x :heart:
Previous 1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19 Next
275 posts Page 13 of 19