The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

275 posts Page 14 of 19
Previous 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19 Next
TML, there is approximately 82grams of fat in 100grams of butter but don't let that put you off, enjoy it :grin:

ballerina x :heart:
Oh my have I started a revolution. Note to Ballerina I did add salt flakes just as described earlier. More to the story when DH came home I showed him my home made butter and he sampled it Aussie style sao butter and vegimite, too, high praise was the verdict.

Ballerina I agree its very messy lots of cleaning up to do after making your own butter. I am back on tract tomorrow but :fat: this image did cross my mind today as I was tucking in
Ballerina, I know how much fat there is in butter and I don't give an eff, LOL!

I was wondering how much fat there is in double cream in order to find its equivalent here and try to make homemade butter.
It looks like its 36% or more fat in 'heavy or double' cream.
TML,but I thought the fat in butter would be the same as in cream, lets face it, it is the same but with a bit movement,

Ballerina x :heart:
I'd never eat margarine. Butter is made from one thing - milk, with a little added salt if you like (I do). That has GOT to be better for you than something with loads of unpronounceable ingredients, fat content or not.

Also, has anyone noticed how marg makes toast all soggy, whereas butter makes it melty and delicious?

I buy Sainsbury's Basics butter because it's cheap and good and salty. Or if I am in Aldi then I'll buy their butter.

I am also going to make butter with my daughter at some point during the school hols, so she knows where her food comes from.
Ballerina, I'm not sure... It seems that double cream has at least 48% fat. I haven't seen any cream this fatty here, our highest is 35%. But, I will seek something fattier at a couple of delis and shops for pastry chefs that I have in mind. :-)
TML, I just checked the double cream carton and it says 46grams per 100ml so I suppose by the time you convert it to butter and remove the whey it is different. Both values I have taken from the manufacturers's labels, it's now up to you, good luck with that one, :grin:

Ballerina :victory:
If I find the proper cream to make it, I will try it! I won't make a big quantity anyway, just a small one to see how it goes.
It will go, believe me, :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
I like butter and would never have one of those spread things in place of it. Of course you can't have it all the time but it is definitely part of my regular eating. Mind you it has to be BRITISH butter to support our farmers, not heavily advertised Danish products!
My favorite cream is Gippsland Double Cream (min 51% fat). Pretty sure it will never stay in my fridge long enough to be turned into butter but I'm enjoyinhg hearing about everyone's experiments.
Don't mean to irk anyone but my favorite is french butter. Will not swap butter for anything else. Everything in moderation, I guess.
The butter on my holiday to France recently was divine. Would have been tempted to bring back some to the UK but it's one of the products you're not allowed to....and I'm not a fan of president.

But, there is a great selection of butter here in the UK too. Sometimes farm shops sell it if you want local produce. Otherwise, I like Rachels, Yeo Valley and Anchor.
Previous 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19 Next
275 posts Page 14 of 19