The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

703 posts Page 6 of 47
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 47 Next
Re: Anyone in the US?
11 Dec 2014, 17:53
That's such a shame Karen. That storm is unbelievable! Hope no wide spread damage is done.
11 Dec 2014, 18:35
Lori wrote: That's such a shame Karen. That storm is unbelievable! Hope no wide spread damage is done.

Ah yes, it is quite terrible. We have now cancelled the event. AT&T Park has some flooding and the restaurant we were planning on going to has no power. Such a pity, but secretly I'm glad I'm not there :wink:
12 Dec 2014, 10:07
Good Morning!

WOW...do I need a Fast day today! We went out to an Italian restaurant last night and boy did I eat! Ravioli, bread, wine....OY!
I'm heading to boot camp in a few minutes. Have to work some of that off!

We have an in office Christmas party this afternoon, but I'll just have some shrimp and veggies and it'll all be good. I'm feeling rather "toadish" this morning. :frown:

No plans for the weekend...looking forward to staying in and staying warm!

What big weekend plans do you have?
12 Dec 2014, 18:32
Hope we all survived the storm last night in SoCal - there were some terrible mud-slides with some homes totally buried but, thankfully, not in my area.
Hope everyone, East coast and West coast, is coping okay with this early, not too pleasant, winter :rain: :rain: :umbrella: :thunder: :cloudy:
12 Dec 2014, 18:42
Glad to hear that you were not impacted by those mudslides lovemyparrot! The footage on the weather channel is just awful! What a feeling of hopelessness that must be to have that river of mud just whisk away everything you have!

We were quite lucky here in central PA. Just a couple days of rain/snow and a bit of ice. We only ended up with a couple inches of snow. Enough for me! Yuck!
12 Dec 2014, 19:50
Hey, @Rawkaren, I have a request for you. You are one of the few here in a position to do this.
So often posts refer to British stores that we don't have here. Can you make us a handy little table for comparative purposes?
I've reached some conclusions on what sort of place a Sainsbury is, or an Aldi, but I tend to forget.
We go to Target or Walmart, Brits go to...
We go to Safeway or Kroger, Brits go to ....
We go to Whole Foods, Brits go to ....
Etc.
12 Dec 2014, 20:11
What I've been wondering, @Rawkaren and @wendyjane, is whether the English Aldi's is the same as our Trader Joe's.

Aldi's parent company owns Trader Joe's, but in the US. they also have Aldi's stores that are decidedly down market and full of fairly low quality foods. I have found a lot of products full of hydrogenated fats and lots of additives in Aldi's while TJ's sells much cleaner stuff.
12 Dec 2014, 21:07
They used to be like that here, too, but have recently upped their game in the UK. Aldi won approx 40 Great taste awards this year. All their fresh meat is UK farmed, much of it outdoor and properly aged. Yes, they still cater to all pockets, but they (andLidl) are the shop of choice for many, me included.
12 Dec 2014, 21:11
@peebles in UK stores such as Aldi and Lidl (both German based) have done well over the last few years since recession because they have been keenly priced , as compared with the larger supermarket giants such as Tesco, Sainsbury, or Asda. They are not aspirational, and their stuff used to be piled on pallets, although recently presentation has got a bit more mainstream. It is 'no frills' in other words the customer is not 'courted' as in other supermarkets, just presented with products which are lower priced, own brand and in smaller sized shops than the huge warehouses that had become the norm.

They were looked down on, in more well off times, as being 'downmarket' but no more. There is a much wider demographic shopping in them, not only because of price, but also quality. In recent years they have been awarded scores of 'Great Taste' awards for various foods, amd other awards for household products. They are now eating into the profits of the giants like Tesco, and this would have been inconceivable just a few years ago. I know people (and on the forum here) who rate their produce very highly indeed, price notwithstanding. I don't know how this compares with similar/ same in the states, as it's nearly 20 years since I was last there, but would guess it's broadly the same.
12 Dec 2014, 22:11
wendyjane wrote: Hey, @Rawkaren, I have a request for you. You are one of the few here in a position to do this.
So often posts refer to British stores that we don't have here. Can you make us a handy little table for comparative purposes?
I've reached some conclusions on what sort of place a Sainsbury is, or an Aldi, but I tend to forget.
We go to Target or Walmart, Brits go to...
We go to Safeway or Kroger, Brits go to ....
We go to Whole Foods, Brits go to ....
Etc.

@wendyjane. Let me apply my mind on this tomorrow. I will be at the hospital tomorrow for the day so will give it some thought.
12 Dec 2014, 22:32
Thanks, @Rawkaren. Sorry you must spend day at the hospital. Just noticed you said "the" hospital - American style :grin:

Also include clothing stores and department stores if a comparison is possible.
12 Dec 2014, 23:53
@Rawkaren I too hope all goes well for you and the family tomorrow. :clover:
13 Dec 2014, 00:27
@rawkaren, More good wishes for tomorrow at the hospital.
13 Dec 2014, 02:19
Hi
I'm in North Carolina. I've been trying the 52 diet for about a month. Don't know what I am doing wrong but i have gained about 5 pounds. I am NOT giving up. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
13 Dec 2014, 08:29
lana wrote: Hi
I'm in North Carolina. I've been trying the 52 diet for about a month. Don't know what I am doing wrong but i have gained about 5 pounds. I am NOT giving up. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Hello and welcome from me.
Pop into the introducing yourself forum and let the members know a little about yourself. Some one who's been at it a while will be able to help you. A warm welcome is one thing you'll receive for sure.
Good luck
Previous 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 47 Next
703 posts Page 6 of 47