The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

703 posts Page 7 of 47
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 47 Next
Re: Anyone in the US?
13 Dec 2014, 17:27
Hope all is well Karen ((Hugs))

This is an eating day for me and I've been doing a good job of it! Sigh..... I guess I'm a bit upset because I had a great fast day yesterday, yet the scale was up. Not sure this daily weighing thing is for me. I'll give it a couple weeks and then may go back to only once a week or so. I'm not sure why I think eating chocolate because the scale was up will be of any help? :doh:

Hope you're all having a good Saturday, whatever you're up to. I ran 1 errand and other than that, I'm staying put.

Later!
13 Dec 2014, 21:46
wendyjane wrote: Hey, @Rawkaren, I have a request for you. You are one of the few here in a position to do this.
So often posts refer to British stores that we don't have here. Can you make us a handy little table for comparative purposes?
I've reached some conclusions on what sort of place a Sainsbury is, or an Aldi, but I tend to forget.
We go to Target or Walmart, Brits go to...
We go to Safeway or Kroger, Brits go to ....
We go to Whole Foods, Brits go to ....
Etc.

ok. Here are my thoughts.

Target is closer to a big Tesco Extra store in the UK or Carrefour in Europe. Walmart I have never been to but it owns Asda in the UK so possibly similar. Target is where I shop for all of my 'bulk' items.
Safeway. I find the quality of Safeway stores differ so widely where I am. So anything from a Co-op to a Morrisons.
Wholefoods. We don't have anything like this in the UK. There is a small Wholefoods just off Picadilly in London but it is not a patch on the large Wholefoods stores we have in the US (well in California anyway). Maybe a touch of Waitrose for some of the speciality ingredients, but you would have to go to the Nutricentre for the range of health supplements/ingredients and a farmers market for the fruit and veg, and a fish market for the fish selection. The nut selection in WF can't be topped in the UK and even though I'm not an eater of peanut butter, I'm in awe that you can make it yourself in store. Another example: You still have to go to a health shop to buy decent organic virgin coconut oil in the UK whereas at WF, there is quite a selection of offerings.
@PeeblesNo, Trader Joe's is not at all like Aldi. As you say it has a much cleaner offering. However I notice they do a very big wine selection in my local TJ store. I'd say a bit between Waitrose and a small Sainsbury's.
13 Dec 2014, 22:27
We in New England have been able to grind our own peanut butter in stores since back in the early 1970s, long before there was a Whole Foods. All the old hippie health food stores offered that, along with things like the cheaper but much more delicious Grade B Maple Syrup.

Neither Aldi's or TJ's can sell alcohol in Massachusetts. The Aldi's in Brattleboro Vermont does sell it. I have been wondering if any of their odd-looking, strange label wines are worth trying. They are so cheap, one has to wonder, OTOH, our favorite wine, Apothek Red, isn't expensive at all. Are the Aldi's wines worth trying?
13 Dec 2014, 22:53
peebles wrote: We in New England have been able to grind our own peanut butter in stores since back in the early 1970s, long before there was a Whole Foods. All the old hippie health food stores offered that, along with things like the cheaper but much more delicious Grade B Maple Syrup.

Neither Aldi's or TJ's can sell alcohol in Massachusetts. The Aldi's in Brattleboro Vermont does sell it. I have been wondering if any of their odd-looking, strange label wines are worth trying. They are so cheap, one has to wonder, OTOH, our favorite wine, Apothek Red, isn't expensive at all. Are the Aldi's wines worth trying?

I can't really recommend @peebles. I'm not much of a wine drinker these days, but they do seem to have a decent selection of European vs. the overpriced Californian ones.
14 Dec 2014, 00:21
Just a few thoughts . . . . I bought organic coconut oil in Walmart, so it's not all bad. The bigger Walmart supercenters are not all that different from Target.

Where does M & S fit in? Not at all in the U.S. as far as I'm concerned. When I go to London, I visit M & S Marble Arch store and I am in heaven - but that's just probably the displaced English-person in me!!!!

Almost got excited when Tesco opened the Fresh and Easy stores here on the West Coast - they were not very Tesco-y and I guess the American customer never took to them - they have been sold, many are closing, prices are up and quality is down - - quite a disappointment.

I always liked Waitrose and John Lewis.
14 Dec 2014, 08:10
I don't think we have an M&S equivalent @lovemyparrot. It annoys me though. On the face of it some nice things but when you look more closely, alot of it is overpriced ready meals. I have to confess though that I do go and buy their vietnamese pork or beef rolls wrapped in mooli when I'm travelling and need low carb food. I just dump the dressing as it is full of sugar.
14 Dec 2014, 11:27
rawkaren wrote: ok. Here are my thoughts.

Target is closer to a big Tesco Extra store in the UK or Carrefour in Europe. Walmart I have never been to but it owns Asda in the UK so possibly similar. Target is where I shop for all of my 'bulk' items.
Safeway. I find the quality of Safeway stores differ so widely where I am. So anything from a Co-op to a Morrisons.
Wholefoods. We don't have anything like this in the UK. There is a small Wholefoods just off Picadilly in London but it is not a patch on the large Wholefoods stores we have in the US (well in California anyway). Maybe a touch of Waitrose for some of the speciality ingredients, but you would have to go to the Nutricentre for the range of health supplements/ingredients and a farmers market for the fruit and veg, and a fish market for the fish selection. The nut selection in WF can't be topped in the UK and even though I'm not an eater of peanut butter, I'm in awe that you can make it yourself in store. Another example: You still have to go to a health shop to buy decent organic virgin coconut oil in the UK whereas at WF, there is quite a selection of offerings.
@PeeblesNo, Trader Joe's is not at all like Aldi. As you say it has a much cleaner offering. However I notice they do a very big wine selection in my local TJ store. I'd say a bit between Waitrose and a small Sainsbury's.

Belle & Sebastian have a line in a song about Marks and Spencer's. The first time I saw them play in the US they substituted Sears and Roebuck. Sears is nothing like M&S, but it was pretty sweet.

Having said that, the clothes at Sears and Penneys are similar to M&S.
14 Dec 2014, 11:53
Good Morning!

Geez...I got to sleep in till 6:15 this morning! My cat went out late last night and spent the night outside. She was ready to come in for her breakfast this morning!

I had a BAD day yesterday. I took the "eat what you want on feed days" quite literally. Fell face first into a vat of chocolate and we had subs and pizza for dinner :bugeyes: The scale is up this morning...no surprise. I felt just awful when I went to bed and no wonder! Can't undo it, just have to move on with a good fast day today and normal days in between fasts. Yesterday was NOT normal!
Just puttering around the house today...laundry etc. The day will fly by and then it'll be time to go back to work already! I long for Spring/Summer when my weekend days are spent on the golf course. :heart:
14 Dec 2014, 13:31
Nice to see a number of people from the US. I am from the mid west (MO) and sometimes wonder if I am the only faster in this state. I have lost over 40 lbs just by fasting and eating low carb in the last 6 months. I am so amazed at these results and have eaten low carb ... Atkins... for years. Never could lose the weight on Atkins but do think the foods are healthy.
I think the US is far behind the UK and other areas when it comes to fasting. I haven't told anyone that I fast because it will cause alarm. I don't want to hear about the metabolism slowing down... the starvation I am putting my self through... the eating disorders... geeee... I am so much more healthy now! Maybe one day I will disclose my healthy journey. In the area I live people would think I am crazy. I live in a "buffet stuff yourself until you are in pain" community. I have 30 pounds to lose and for once in my life I KNOW I will lose it. And... I will am getting stronger... healthier... happier.
FYI... can't stand Dr. Oz.
14 Dec 2014, 13:43
Just catching up and would like to add a bit about most supermarkets here.
Most, if not all, now run 2 parallel streams of food, if not 3, so there is some blurring of their brands.
At the lower end, is the 'value' range, with straightforward packaging aimed at families.
In the middle, is the 'normal range' aimed at the majority.
All of them now have their premium range, which is cleverly packaged to appeal to those prepared to pay a bit more. For example, in Lidl (whose own brand premium range is allegedly some sort of winner) you can get moose steaks, Gressingham duck and fancy puds etc.
All the supermarkets can't afford to alienate any single kind of shopper.
I would think the really high end ones are in London - Harvey Nicks, Harrods, where the shopping experience is expensive!
14 Dec 2014, 18:40
Lori wrote: I long for Spring/Summer when my weekend days are spent on the golf course. :heart:

Hi, @Lori - really enjoying your almost daily posts. I see you like to play golf - my hubs and I do too, altho' we're not very good (only took it up a couple of years ago) and I am "ashamed" to say, we are still playing most days even in the winter here in SoCal (tho' this week its been too wet)!!! I particularly like to play on a fast day as it keeps me occupied for a couple of hours.
By the way, are you anywhere near Westchester ? I have to confess I am a closet QVC fan :oops: :oops:
14 Dec 2014, 19:32
Waving across the Pacific. What a fascinating thread!
14 Dec 2014, 20:24
lovemyparrot wrote:
Lori wrote: I long for Spring/Summer when my weekend days are spent on the golf course. :heart:

Hi, @Lori - really enjoying your almost daily posts. I see you like to play golf - my hubs and I do too, altho' we're not very good (only took it up a couple of years ago) and I am "ashamed" to say, we are still playing most days even in the winter here in SoCal (tho' this week its been too wet)!!! I particularly like to play on a fast day as it keeps me occupied for a couple of hours.
By the way, are you anywhere near Westchester ? I have to confess I am a closet QVC fan :oops: :oops:

Hi lovemyparrot!
I'm totally jealous that you can play golf year round! I'm not very good either, though I've been playing for 10 years! I just enjoy being out there and drinking a beer or 3 with my friends! :grin:

I live about 2.5 hrs from West Chester.....my sister lives there! I buy things now and then from QVC. Some nice things, some not so nice, you know? I have more fun watching it on TV and then reading the reviews online of the products that they are saying are SO wonderful!

I'm so glad we're being active here. I was hoping you all would not see my daily mundane posts and think, "Oh boy...there she is again with her boring life." :sleepy:

Hope you're enjoying your Sunday! I'm finally getting around to watching Season 1 of Downton Abbey that I have on my Kindle Fire. I have a lot of catching up to do!
14 Dec 2014, 21:23
PennyForthem wrote: Just catching up and would like to add a bit about most supermarkets here.
Most, if not all, now run 2 parallel streams of food, if not 3, so there is some blurring of their brands.
At the lower end, is the 'value' range, with straightforward packaging aimed at families.
In the middle, is the 'normal range' aimed at the majority.
All of them now have their premium range, which is cleverly packaged to appeal to those prepared to pay a bit more. For example, in Lidl (whose own brand premium range is allegedly some sort of winner) you can get moose steaks, Gressingham duck and fancy puds etc.
All the supermarkets can't afford to alienate any single kind of shopper.
I would think the really high end ones are in London - Harvey Nicks, Harrods, where the shopping experience is expensive!

@pennyforthem. Thank you. I had forgotten about Harvey Nichols which is akin to a really small but really expensive Whole Foods or Draegers Market. I love browsing every aisle there and never buy due to the eye watering prices!
14 Dec 2014, 23:46
@Lori - The new season of DA starts here in January - can't wait !!!

Played golf this afternoon as the sun was out - only our little par 3 course, but we have fun and that's what counts.

We just bought a new HP laptop from the Q - haven't got it all up and running yet, but I think it will be great.

Yes, DO keep posting and keeping up the U.S. side :usa: !!!!!
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 47 Next
703 posts Page 7 of 47