The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

78 posts Page 4 of 6
For the caramel, just pop the unopened tin in a pan of simmering water and leave to bubble away for 20 minutes or so (don't let it boil dry). Do not open until the can has lost a lot of its heat, but open when still warm so it still flows. The condensed milk will have turned to caramel.
Also, its nearly Christmas cake making time. I just LOVE rich fruit cakes. They will be my downfall this Christmas.
I have given away all the chocolate I thought in Switzerland. Oops. I still have all the fondue, though.
Since we've already "gone there" with the homemade caramel sauce, Christmas cakes and somebody even said that F word again and I forgot to give her whatfor about it *coughcoughSilverDarlingcoughcough*

I might as well mention that I gathered a bushel of apples up from the backyard. Yeah...this weekend while the OH is upstate timing a marathon I plan to make fried apples, apple pie or cobbler and then put some up in the freezer for the holiday pies. I saw this idea on Pinterest...to put your apple pie filling up in gallon ziplocs and then just pull them out and add them to your pie crust to save time for holiday dinners. If that doesn't keep me busy enough I might start on some jars of apple butter to put up for fall/winter, too.
Julie, another fruit cake lover here, though nothing beats hot Christmas pudding with lashings of cream & custard!

Scoured the shops today for salted caramel Lindt, definitely none to be found here!
Silverdarling wrote: Not as hungry as I am on a fast day, staring at the last half of the Lindt salted caramel bar! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :dazed: :dazed: :dazed: :starving: :starving: :starving:

Manderley, my everyday favourite 'Twirls' are really like 2 shorter 'Flakes' but with an extra covering of chocolate, so you don't get choc bits all over the place ... :wink:

I was on kind of a fast day as well (didn't eat anything between yesterday 2:00PM and today 9:00AM) :razz: :grin:

Flakes will be my downfall, as well as Rolo (I remember a tv ad where an elephant slap a kid even years later) :heart:

About the condensed milk, when I was little, there were individuals cartons with different flavours (strawberry, apricots, etc) and I had one from time to time for a snack in the afternoon

They looked like that

@waratah. Looked at the Lindt Australia link below

http://www.lindt.com.au/noswf/eng/produ ... -sea-salt/

And it does seem that they have a Caramel bar and Sea Salt bar - but not in the same bar! You will just have to buy 2 bars and eat them at the same time :bugeyes: :wink:

Photo of my bar coming up - can't see this on Aussie site :frown:

image.jpg

Oh! How appropriate - it's come out upside down :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :wink: didn't mean to do this, honest! :grin: :grin:

Looking at the UK site, it does look like they have slightly different products for the different countries.
Manderley wrote:
Flakes will be my downfall, as well as Rolo (I remember a tv ad where an elephant slap a kid even years later) :heart:

Oh yes - Rolos! They are still about, one of the few sweets still going that they haven't changed from my childhood - now there's a caramel and toffee hit indeed! :shock: :shock:
From time to time, I order some (flakes, Rolos and wine gums) from a shop we have in Paris. The prices are crazy so I don't do it often but it's cheaper than to come in England for it....
I live in Austria and I HATE most of the chocolate you can buy here. I hate Ritter sport and milka and lindt and most of all I LOATHE Mozart balls!!! And they are everywhere, in every small shop, cafe, supermarket. Caroline I think you're living in the wrong country!!!

I specially keep a bar of lindt 70 per cent in the cupboard to eat when I'm desperate for something sweet. One piece gives me such a sick feeling and headache that I'm put off sweet stuff for hours.

But I adore anything from Cadbury and it's nearly impossible to find it here. Twirl, wisps, fruit and nut, Tiffin, crunchie. Oh anything at all. For me Cadbury makes the only real chocolate. I must have such unsophisticated taste buds. We spent a week in Northern Ireland this summer and it was nearly my undoing. I stood looking at the chocolate selection in Tesco and literally drooled. Thank goodness it was just a week!
Oh @Silverdarling how I laughed when I saw your chocolate upside down, it reminded of the time I saw a sticker which proclaimed "Learn to fly with the Irish Aero Club" .........and it was upside down!!!!!! :lol: :razz: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
Hahahahahaaaaaaa!

A little Saturday morning moo- sic ... Nat King Cole - 'Straighten up and fly right' :lol: :victory:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVaP6dM1f ... fVaP6dM1fs
... And have you recovered from the sore head, Ballerina?? :shock: :lol: :cool:
Virtually xx :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
Just to be sure...the Rolos over there are the same as what we have? Chocolate and caramel...from the old commercial, you can roll a Rolo to your friend, it's chocolate covered caramel from end to end. Rolo is a childhood fave of mine, as well. How could you go wrong with chocolate covered caramel?
78 posts Page 4 of 6