The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

37 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: I am back!
28 Aug 2015, 13:51
Hello @drilakila, sorry to hear about your arthritis flare up; good that the latest meds are providing some relief. I was worried about my hands a few years back, not continuous strong pain but I found I had to overcome resistance and some discomfort to make a fist first thing in the morning. Not severe enough to send me to the docs; not convinced I wanted to take anything conventional for it, so probably not severe enough! The right hand was worse than the left, so over 25 years in computing might have had something to do with it. I found some relief in fasting, but during the course of my 2 years as a faster I found myself heading towards a lower carb way of eating and when I learnt that sugar and starches stoke inflammation I decided to go as sugar and grain free as I could. I am very pleased as I have virtually no pain or resistance in my fingers and hardly ever a twinge in my knees, which as a hill walker and occasional runner is very useful! Like you, I also take turmeric supplements to dampen down any inflammation that is going on.

And I never liked tight trousers :lol:

From the photos it looks like you live in good walking country!
28 Aug 2015, 14:04
Hello Drilakila, I hope the fasting is going well. Just had to say I loved the photos of your ride around the reservoir, beautiful and your Japanese garden looks great. Well done x
28 Aug 2015, 14:51
Thanks ladies! I would have thought Cumbria was pretty good walking country barbarita lol. But I did move here to be near the Pennine Way amongst other things. Perhaps being a tattooist for nearly 30 years might have something to do with my painful hands!
Thanks skinnyjeans we do have fun riding around here. The scenery takes my breath away. Fasting is going well. I hope it is for you two xxx
28 Aug 2015, 15:24
Hang in there @drilakila. We've all been there - hey I'm fasting, why aren't the scale gods smiling upon me? :?:

I myself just returned to the fasting fold this month. Initially I set myself up on 4:3, but I've already eased back to 5:2. This is going to be a long journey for me and I need to make it work for *me*. I've been up and down all month, but I did notice a good inch or so off the waist (such a challenge to measure oneself consistently!) In an effort not to get discouraged with the lack of scale movement, I'm trying to look at the month's high and low weights and hope it signals a general downward trend.

We all know how good it feels when done right. The day after the fast feeling less bloated and confident. Sometimes I have to comfort myself with simply just feeling good in my body as a success when the scale curses me. I do think the weight loss benefits, for whatever reason, can vary in how long they take to show up in individual fasters. Hormones, diet fatigue, who knows?

I'm sticking with it and hope you do too! :heart: To me, it's better than the alternative - doing nothing and feeling helpless as the weight keeps on creeping on. Sometimes just maintaining is a victory!
28 Aug 2015, 15:35
That's such a good point! I am maintaining not putting weight on. I like that!!! x
29 Aug 2015, 15:12
Hi honey *waves*
What a fab part of the world you're living in now, wow those rides look great.
I've been steadily gaining through August, what with one thing (dead boiler) and another (dead car) so today I'm trying Fast-5, or 19 hours fasting with 5 hours available in which to eat. Ate some gluten free oatcakes with hommous and a few nuts to break the fast and been drinking plenty of water, a cup of black coffee and 2 tisanes so far. Not sure how long I'll keep it up but a change round always shakes things up a bit :0)
Keep going and all will be well \o/
02 Nov 2015, 10:00
well....I blew it. I stopped fasting. I decided there was no point as I wasn't losing and if anything I was putting on weight. Fasting was actually stressing me out and I wasn't enjoying it.
Added to my pain issues etc etc I just gave up, trying instead to limit what I ate. Of course that hasn't helped either.
I feel fat and I hate myself for it. Back to a size 16.
My pain is managed with Naproxen and I have managed to halve the dose. Yoga has been a life saver and after just a couple of months I am noticing a big difference.
No results from xrays.....I think they got lost in the system somehow...and I can't be bothered to go to my surgery and ask but a test kit for some Fibro research has arrived so I need to get bloods done.
I fell off my horse when out on a ride about 6 weeks ago and have lost my confidence again..a friend says I have only misplaced it lol but I am right back to where I was ten years ago when I nearly died after a fall. It has made me question everything.....
I am still snowed under with house renovations altho the roof and double glazing are done. I am on a steep learning curve trying to do the loft stairs etc by myself out of reclaimed scaffold boards and I am fast running out of money, having overspent and lived the life of Riley for 10 months.
I stopped even visiting this wonderful forum as it made me resent my failure.
But after a day in London yesterday celebrating my best friends 60th birthday with tea at Claridges I think it's time I gave this fasting another try.
Sorry this is all me, me me, how are you all doing?
xxx
37 posts Page 3 of 3