The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

316 posts Page 2 of 22
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 Next
I use it a lot as my OH is Paleo, there is always a big pot in my fridge. I don't use it to cook for myself as I don't really use oils but I'm always stealing a bit to use in homemade facial scrub and as a hair treatment. I like the idea of using it to shave legs, I had heard recently that shaving with an oil is far better than those shop bought shave gels. OH is going to start getting cross that I'm using all his oil. I had never heard about the teeth thing, I've always used strawberries for teeth whitening, I'll have to give it a go.

There are tons of tutorials on Youtube on how to make it yourself from fresh coconut, which you can buy in any supermarket. It's a bit of faff but worth it to save a few pennies :smile:

Good luck with it!
Thank you MrsChipworm for the tip.
I just love this forum because its amazing how helpful & informative everyone is :grin:
As long as no orangatangs died in the planting of the plantation as in Malaysia & Borneo.
Is the oil white or clear? H &B' s is clear, as I would expect an oil to be,but all the ones on Amazon look white, but perhaps it is the packaging plus, there is such disparity of prices on there. The other question is, what do use coconut milk and cream for, other than cooking?

I want to try it but do not want to spend a lot of money only to find I've bought the wrong thing!
:shock:
Thanks for any help,

Ballerina x :heart:
Izzy, I thought the same thing. I NEVER knowingly buy anything which contains Palm oil as I think it is a disgusting trade so I hope coconut oil does not come under the same heading.

Made Sunday's yorkshires in coconut oil this weekend and they were delicious. And you only need a fraction of the amount of veg oil you'd have to use.
Izzy, we don't know, that is half the problem with food production these days, thanks for your reply

Ballerina wrote: Is the oil white or clear?

Coconut oil is white when it's solid but clear when it gets warm enough and melts. (I use it as a temperature gauge - if it's liquid, it's warm enough for me, if it's solid, it's too damn cold :shock: )
Thank you KataMac, that makes a lot of sense to my little brain, :shock: :smile:

It is certainly a concern that it should be ethically produced. The Coconoil is Soil Association approved so I guess that means ethically produced & it is cheaper than the Holland & Barratt one that comes from the Netherlands. That one doesn't have the country that produces it on the tub :confused:
I guess that means Coconoil is the more policed & ethically produced one & cheaper.
I got some coconut oil yesterday, not sure what I'm going to do with it though. I'm sure Ballerina might have some ideas :lol:

Are you sure saturated fat is a good thing? Why is coconut oil a good thing? Can't get my head around this at all but willing to give it a try.

I tried oil pulling with it this morning (have been reading about it for ages but wasn't brave enough before) It wasn't too bad, I managed the full 20 minutes but :shock: TMI ALERT :shock: it created so much saliva that I dribbled a lot :frown: I might try 2 x 10 minutes for comfort next time, don't know if that will work as well as the full 20 minutes. I do suffer from a post nasal drip that drives me mad when it's bad and so I am hoping that the oil pulling will cure it. I have to say that my sinuses and eustacian tubes feel clearer so we will see. Sorry if that was TMI. :cool: all this could be down to the twenty minute intense jaw exercising involved. Who knows? I get eczema on my hands so am going to try applying the oil, also to the dry skin on my feet. Oh what a dainty picture of myself I am painting :lol:
Wendy, your emoticons are rivalling Ballerina's for expressiveness :lol: :bugeyes: :shock: :wink: what a shame there isn't one for 'drool' :grin: :grin: :grin:

(Or even, 'excessive droool' :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: )
Hey Wendy, just in case you run out of ideas or Ballerina doesn't make her way back in here...I have heard that lots of people keep a jar in the bedroom, too. #boomchickawowwow
Oooh errrr missus :lol: wonder if Julie uses it to polish her wooden wotsits. The Internet is a wonderful thing :wink:
Well, I don't know who Julie is or why she has wooden wotsits. But, from the sounds of it...if I were her I would probably try the coconut oil!
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 Next
316 posts Page 2 of 22