The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

66 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: Jumped ship
25 Aug 2013, 14:10
interesting thread. You are a month further down the road than me. I've been going 4 months but I haven't lost as much weight. I am still quite motivated and do strict 2 fasts a week, and they are strict. I am still motivated because I have quite a lot more weight to lose. I wonder if I will every feel as you do when I am closer to a healthy weight.At the moment I can't imagine losing motivation,but there you are, anything can happen.
25 Aug 2013, 14:16
Must be in the air I ate like there was no tomorrow today. I am studying, always my Achilles heel where I don't move except to get up and snack. So dhana to your issue. I love your sharing and you always did struggle with sleeping I recall so it must be so sweet to sleep better.

It's an up and down thing with the motivation and other than the wet fish, I am sure you will work it out. At least you have the tools and you did do a respectable job with what you have lost and the distance as well. Enjoy chilling out with us while you consider
25 Aug 2013, 14:37
Thanks for all the replies. I think it is just a temporary blip, because I know with certainty that I have never lost weight so enjoyably before, and also I think that we very often forget, as Ofiaich reminded us, the fasting method was primarily designed to improve health markers and not as a weight loss programme.
From what I have seen though it is pretty good at the weight loss side of things but of course that happy "side effect" only comes along when you actually do the fasting part!
As good as 5.2 is I would never have lasted this long without the advice and support from you lot, and that includes all the informative science stuff, the laughs and even the occasional fisticuffs! Spices things up sometimes! :grin: All human life is here on this forum and it has been truly inspirational reading so many of the posts.
Will have a short break and start fasting again on Friday, like I'm a 5.2 virgin! Thanks Sue :clover: and the rest of you - advice taken on board and ready to be a member of the crew again! Will reread Captain Mikes book again and head out back to sea on the great voyage of the 5.2 lifestyle.
25 Aug 2013, 14:46
You've done really well so far, we all need a break some time - I've just had a week's holiday with no fasting but am ready to get back in the boat tomorrow. 5:2 is by far the easiest weight loss plan I've ever followed, it's not a quick fix, it's a slow steady way to change bad habits and get in control. Use the boards and all the friendly people here as your motivation to get back on track. Yes, I've been able to wear clothes I couldn't wear last year and my holiday photos are actually ok for a change - but I want this to continue and I've still got a pair of jeans to get back in. Come on .... we can do this together !! :clover:
25 Aug 2013, 14:58
That's easy for me to preach I'm being a goody two shoes because I've got a holiday in about 5weeks then I'll be looking for Big support Lol
Take a well earned rest and enjoy :heart: :heart: Sue
25 Aug 2013, 16:17
Oh how spooky, me too. I have been 5:2ing and 16:8ing fine but I have been weekend wey heying with wine and chocolate etc far too much. Last week I did different days to my usual because of life and this week I will be doing different days because of the bank holiday. I don't think I have settled back into my routine since being on holiday.

I hear you Dhana, I'm sure it's a blip and mindfulness will return very soon. I agree that daily weighing will help you to focus. Even if you maintain for a while it will be better than gaining.

Good luck to you and everyone else that is having a temporary blip :clover:
25 Aug 2013, 16:38
Dhana, I don't know what your activity level is but maybe you could change up your routine a little, even if it is a few steps every day?
25 Aug 2013, 16:50
I do so relate. I'm at my sister's house in Gilbert, Arizona, near Phoenix, and we've been hanging out with cousins and aunt who are out from the Midwest. They are staying at the glorious Camelback Inn in Scottsdale, and we've been visiting them there at the pool, drinking wine and eating appetizers and divine food. :lol: Yesterday was a road trip to Jerome and Sedona. Eating and drinking wine was an important component of the day's activities. :grin: Soooo..... :?:

I fly back home to Nevada tomorrow, back to my scale and a regular :neutral: meal pattern. I don't know where I'll be. I haven't walked fast (hot) or done zumba for a week, and although I think I may have put on a couple or few pounds, I have no idea, really. I think I'll be able to jump back on board, at least I hope so. :wink: I'll let you know how it goes. :grin: or :cry:
25 Aug 2013, 16:58
I think it's normal to lose the plot a bit, especially when you're feeling so much happier compared with when you started! I still need to shift another stone, but know I've been overeating recently and just maintaining more or less. I know I'll get motivated to shift the rest sooner or later, especially knowing that I can eat like this and maintain weight with 5:2! It may never be 6:1 for me but I don't mind if I can enjoy my food and maintain. It's summer, it's holidays, relax and enjoy. You'll be back on track when you feel it's right!
25 Aug 2013, 17:23
Just a thought - do you have something like a holiday or occasion you can aim for? I find the slowness of the weightloss really frustrating at times, but I am on holiday in October so know I have to just keep on going. Even Christmas - you can sort yourself out something really special to wear - aim for that? good luck, I am sure you will be back on track real soon x
25 Aug 2013, 17:25
So, its not just me !!!!! I'm six months in and feeling burnt out - still fasting but never really looking forward to a fast day - also, not near as mindful about eating and, especially, drinking (wine, that is). At least you had the courage, dhana, to admit it and start this thread.

I'm going away on a trip for 10 days beginning Sept. 8th and don't intend to fast but will be a bit careful, as always - know I will drink, tho. Hope I won't gain too much and will get back on track after my hols.

Hope I don't need the catering pack of Findus by then!!!!!! :shock:
25 Aug 2013, 17:32
Believe it or not I totally get how you're feeling. I stopped 5:2 twice since I started it. Once for almost 2 weeks and I got back on track easily and happily and once for over a month and it was very hard for me to adjust. It took 3 or 4 fails to fast before I managed a proper fast.

I am going away on a trip in 10 days and I am already thinking of how I will manage to get back on track when I come back. I will because I'm stubborn cow but it might take me a few days and attempts to fast.

My advice to you is to try going back to 5:2, even if you fail. You'll fail once, twice, third's a charm. :-)
25 Aug 2013, 17:51
Dhana, I'm from Glasgow, don't make me come up there, do you understand what I'm saying? Good girl, now, get on with it and I'll put the catering pack from Findus back in the freezer, FOR NOW! :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
25 Aug 2013, 19:18
Great thread on my return to the board. I haven't posted in over 5 months. I started 5:2 back in March. I thought I found the holy grail. The thought of just counting calories for 2 days a week really spoke to me. But once the honeymoon wore off, I started resenting fasting for even two days. Which is odd because I lost a lot my first month on it. So I switched over to 16/8, and I've been on it ever since, losing about 3 lbs. a month. Very slow, but I like that I can eat every day, basically whatever I want for the 8 hours.

Also, the surprising, even shocking thing is that I don't get hungry like I did on my 5:2 fast days. Most days I eat from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and I find the black coffee and 0 calories vitamin waters really hold me over until 11. Whereas on my 5:2 fast days I would literally be starving.

So yeah, I guess I jumped ship too, but I landed on 16/8 which seems to be working so far.
25 Aug 2013, 19:55
dhana wrote: Thanks for all the replies. I think it is just a temporary blip, ..... advice taken on board and ready to be a member of the crew again! Will reread Captain Mikes book again and head out back to sea on the great voyage of the 5.2 lifestyle.

... you're crew who has just spent a rip-roaring time ashore in port , no holds barred, drinking and carousing, but now the tide has turned, and you're off 'doon the water' leaving behind the temptations , back on the sea biscuits, pemmican and 12 hour watches and measuring your progress by sextant and the mysterious stars ... and the waxing and waning moon! Well life as you know and have worked out waxes and wanes, so enjoy it and take it as it comes! And there's plenty of other wet fish in the sea :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :wink:

(Not a drop has passed my lips, honest!)
66 posts Page 2 of 5