The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

73 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: LENT
19 Feb 2014, 08:15
No, I can't stop now I've started! I guess I started it to see if the weight would drop off a bit more quickly (every little helps, eh) maybe I should start a Just Giving page myself

Bean :confused:
19 Feb 2014, 08:23
I used to give up TV for lent. I'm not Catholic. I haven't observed lent in years. Maybe I should think of something good this year...
19 Feb 2014, 10:42
sweetenough wrote: I'm not Catholic, but I like to give up something for Lent to challenge myself.

silly question maybe. if you are not Catholic or don't generally follow Catholic traditions, why would you want to follow any of the principles of Lent.

this got me thinking about the Catholic religion and it seems they make up just 16% of the global population. http://www.pewforum.org/2013/02/13/the- ... opulation/ was interesting.

Indeed of those that are Catholic only a small percentage probably practice any of the traditions or obligations, including Lental penetance.
19 Feb 2014, 11:55
Juliana.Rivers wrote:
sweetenough wrote: I'm not Catholic, but I like to give up something for Lent to challenge myself.

silly question maybe. if you are not Catholic or don't generally follow Catholic traditions, why would you want to follow any of the principles of Lent.

For me the Lent is just a symbolic period of time when I can give myself a break from things that I consider "not good" for me. It doesn't have to be linked with any religion. It could well be a couple of weeks in May or November.

EDIT: But, since the period of Lent is widely recognizable and it also falls during the spring time I like the idea of a small "clean up" during that time.
19 Feb 2014, 13:25
gorba wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote:

For me the Lent is just a symbolic period of time when I can give myself a break from things that I consider "not good" for me. It doesn't have to be linked with any religion. It could well be a couple of weeks in May or November.

EDIT: But, since the period of Lent is widely recognizable and it also falls during the spring time I like the idea of a small "clean up" during that time.

fair enough. i guess Lent is one of the many Christian traditions that has infiltrated the broad population.. bit like Christmas where we do gift giving when that was merely a small part of the Christmas story. And Easter with eggs.. hang on... whats chocolate eggs got to do with the Christian Easter message? remind me
19 Feb 2014, 16:19
Someone I know, instead of taking something away for Lent, adds a good habit. Flossing, working out, writing in journal, waking up early, etc. I always admire that route too. I use Lent as a good time to challenge myself, as many of my friends and in-law family participate. It bonds me to them. I help myself. I can't help but feel glad in that. Good luck to everyone!
19 Feb 2014, 17:35
Juliana.Rivers said,
fair enough. i guess Lent is one of the many Christian traditions that has infiltrated the broad population.. bit like Christmas where we do gift giving when that was merely a small part of the Christmas story. And Easter with eggs.. hang on... whats chocolate eggs got to do with the Christian Easter message? remind me

Ermmm I think eggs represent new life, not sure about the bunny :bunny: , but you know what.....I have given up so much recently that I really don't think I shall be giving up anything else!
20 Feb 2014, 10:42
I know Lent is still a few weeks away but I have already decided to give up coffee. I am dreading giving up coffee but I know it will do me good.

FWIW, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast and abstinence (from meat).

During Lent (and after Pentecost, Feast of the Holy Cross and near the feast of St Lucy) we have Ember days. Ember days involve fasting on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (this year it falls on the 12th, 14th and 15th March). Not that one needs a religious reason to fast. 4:3 anyone?
20 Feb 2014, 16:16
I will stop idolizing my scale for LENT. I need to give up obsessively bowing in worship to my scale daily. I am only going to weigh myself once a week during the SMART Easter Challenge.

May God Bless You All. ~ Ann

:fat:

20 Feb 2014, 16:34
Oh @MaryAnn I don't think I could EVER give up tv! That's harsh! Hmm giving up coffee @TheFrog? That's tough too! Quite like the idea of ADDING a good habit @sweetenough because that must be difficult, in a different way!

Anyway, good luck with your ideas. Makes for very interesting reading!

Bean :starving:
20 Feb 2014, 19:47
slimnana wrote: I will stop idolizing my scale for LENT. I need to give up obsessively bowing in worship to my scale daily. I am only going to weigh myself once a week during the SMART Easter Challenge.

May God Bless You All. ~ Ann

:fat:

good one!
20 Feb 2014, 20:29
Oh dear @slimnana I weigh myself EVERY day

Bean :starving: :confused:
20 Feb 2014, 20:38
nursebean wrote: Oh dear @slimnana I weigh myself EVERY day

I confess...I'm guilty of sometimes even weighing twice on Sundays! :evil:
20 Feb 2014, 21:20
slimnana wrote:
nursebean wrote: Oh dear @slimnana I weigh myself EVERY day

I confess...I'm guilty of sometimes even weighing twice on Sundays! :evil:

Goodness woman, the only thing I do twice on a Sunday is get up....... :shock: :sleepy:

Ballerina x :heart:
20 Feb 2014, 21:22
Oh dear are Sundays that bad Beanarilla?

Bean :starving:
73 posts Page 2 of 5