The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

73 posts Page 1 of 5
LENT
18 Feb 2014, 15:07
I'm not Catholic, but I like to give up something for Lent to challenge myself. Last year, I gave up wine. This year my husband, who eats very few vegetables, has agreed to go pescetarianism for Lent, meaning we'll eat seafood and eggs, but no other meat. I know you don't know me well, but this is GIGANTIC in my house! I've always wanted to do this but needed my husband on board, as he is an amazing cook and usually does the dinner cooking. I never, ever thought he'd agree. I also think I'm going to give up the second glass of wine I always have. I'm really excited!

What, if anything, are you going to give up?
Re: LENT
18 Feb 2014, 15:42
Chocolate!
18 Feb 2014, 17:30
rawkaren wrote: Chocolate!

:heart: OH I wish @rawkaren I know if I say I will this will never happen but I thought long and hard before answering @sweetenough And have decided the one thing I'm giving up is " doing false fastdays" from now onwards I'm keeping to the two or three designated days each week now that should help in some small way and I know this is achievable. :heart: Sue
18 Feb 2014, 17:39
Ahh so pleased for you sweety that you are excited about your lent plans!and good for you and yr hubz xi am not giving anything up..i think my two fasts a week are enough but i admire folk like you and rawkaren who give up things they hold dear! Good luck :like: :clover:
18 Feb 2014, 17:46
Absolutely nothing, nada, niente, rien!!
Over and out.
18 Feb 2014, 18:24
Oh @Sweetenoughhow exciting for you...and wonderful to have a hubby who's a great cook. I've always thought it would be fantastic to marry a chef!

D'you know, I think I've made a mistake with lent. I decided to give up chocolate until Easter Day. I'm 8 days in...and I drool at the thought of chocolate already!! Oh well, only another, what? 8 weeks to go

Bean :cry:
18 Feb 2014, 18:41
I've really struggled with this. I've done everything over the last few years, from giving up booze, chocolate, to starting C25K. And decided this year I don't want to give up anything "unhealthy" as effectively that would just be a gift to myself, but Lent should be more of a deeper challenge.

Since I've moved to Lewes, I've failed to find a church I feel at home in. So I am committing to going to church every Sunday in Lent, at a different local church, with an open heart, to find one to settle in. I hope this will be both a challenge, and result in happiness.
18 Feb 2014, 18:43
You've started too soon @nursebean
Lent this year is Wednesday 5th March to Thursday 17th April
Soooo go ahead and have a little nibble! :grin: :lol:
18 Feb 2014, 19:03
WHAT WAS THAT.....not lent yet @nursebean
So I haven't failed then. I can still do it for lent......Yes?
18 Feb 2014, 19:57
You haven't failed for Lent @carieoates and @nursebean it hasn't started yet. First there's Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day on 4th March which traditionally was the way to use up forbidden foods before the start of Lent which begins on Ash Wednesday (5th March this year- the calendar dates vary).

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia of the 46 days in Lent 40 are fast days and the 6 Sundays are feast days - I didn't know that.
18 Feb 2014, 20:31
Sooooo..they were IF- ing on 6:1! All those years ago!You know what they say@AnnieW

"There's nothing new under the sun!" :cool:
18 Feb 2014, 20:38
Bingo @CandiceMarie just had a giggle no famine effect even way back then

Will I .....wont I, haven't given anything up for lent in a very long time, so that is telling. Think I will see if I can 'give' in some way
18 Feb 2014, 20:48
Absolutely @CandiceMarie. And there's plenty of time for people to sort out their "give ups" and to fill their boots before they do :lol:

In Jan 2013 hubs and I went away for a weekend to a hotel with a Michelin star restaurant. There were some lovely chocolate desserts which I fully explored :grin: . There was a couple there and the lady was looking longingly at the chocolate courses but had got a tad over enthusiastic and instead of giving up chocolate for the previous Lent she decided to go a whole year - and had a Just Giving page so had to keep to it - she did.
18 Feb 2014, 20:49
OMG Annie!above and beyond the call of duty! XX
19 Feb 2014, 07:16
I'm also toying with the idea of giving-up something for Lent. I KNOW I should give-up sweet baked goods and chocolate and I KNOW I should start weight lifting again. The last time I did some weight lifting was November last year and I am missing the feeling of empowerment, but am too lazy to do the work.

Lent should be a manageable period of time to give something up, I think.

It is also a good time for our bodies too. Since it's the time just before spring (or in some cultures it is the spring time) when our bodies "wake up", like the rest of the Nature, and need good nutritious food and exercise to nourish the body.
73 posts Page 1 of 5