The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

73 posts Page 5 of 5
Re: LENT
04 Mar 2014, 17:41
My Lent challenge is not food/drink related. But I am going to have a pancake feast tonight (in lieu of dinner), and some maple syrup - cant wait ! Then fast all day tomorrow, with fish for dinner - although I find it hard to see that as a deprivation, even if it is traditional Ash Wednesday fayre.
04 Mar 2014, 21:31
Good luck, everyone! I still have a real struggle with emotional/binge eating; would like to set myself a NO CHOCOLATE rule but fear I'd just find that too hard and go the opposite way when I give in, so think I might set myself a 'give up having a second' rule, or 'give up emotional/impulsive eating', or something so I'm allowed 1 or 2 treats a day rather than a LOT... any suggestions on what I can set myself?x
04 Mar 2014, 23:46
Since it's "Fat Tuesday" as we call it here, We are having a nice roast filet of beef with roasted potatoes and salad for dinner and packzi (jelly donuts on steroids!) for dessert. Then we will fast Wed/Fridays during Lent. I decided to donate the money we are saving by not eating breakfast during the week to the "Operation Rice Bowl" collection at our church @ Easter - where I haven't been in months, mind you!

I am also giving up beating myself up when I don't have a "perfect" food day, get in my exercise or have an occasional out of TDEE range day. I must accept that I am wonderful how I am RIGHT NOW and am a creation of a wonderful Creator who doesn't make anyone who isn't worthy of love, compassion, health and happiness.

Could NOT give up chocolate, so I won't even go there!! :grin:
04 Mar 2014, 23:50
Lent brings back a childhood memory of a family recipe called "Lenten spaghetti" but our household nicknamed it 'irish spaghetti' and I know not why. It was cooked spaghetti tossed with cream of tomato soup with Ritz crackers crumbled on top...baked in the oven. I am quite glad that I did not carry on that tradition. I have not followed the Lenten tradition since I was a teen. Fasting, I am already doing. Jesus is about loving one another and frankly I fall very short in this department. So for Lent I vow to something thoughtful for someone each day.
05 Mar 2014, 16:06
I've never given up anything for lent before, but I've decided to do something a bit different. I'm giving up weighing myself..

I might sound a bit crazy but recently I've been focusing too much on the numbers despite my clothes fitting better. I used to weigh myself obsessively at least 3/4 times a day, then got it down to just a few days a week. The number of times has started to creep up again and I feel I'm focusing too much on the number rather than how I look and feel. I know I'm doing a lot of weight work at the gym which may mean I'm not losing lbs but my body is changing, but I still find myself getting frustrated at the digits I see - which is stupid because getting fitter obviously outweighs a silly number! I found out yesterday that my waist is down to 26.5 in - so obviously the gym is working despite the scales not moving.

Really hoping I can stick to it :oops:
05 Mar 2014, 22:50
Today (in the US) and yesterday in Australia, its Ash Wednesday. That's a massive fast day isnt it?

looked it up in wiki

On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 (whose health enables them to do so) are permitted to consume only one full meal, which may be supplemented by two smaller meals, which together should not equal the full meal. Some Catholics will go beyond the minimum obligations demanded by the Church and undertake a complete fast or a bread and water fast. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are also days of abstinence from meat (mammals and fowl), as are all Fridays during Lent.[29] Some Catholics continue fasting throughout Lent,[citation needed] as was the Church's traditional requirement,[30] concluding only after the celebration of the Easter Vigil.

this is interesting... on http://catholicism.about.com/od/holyday ... nesday.htm it says..
to fast, which means that they can eat only one complete meal and two smaller ones during the day, with no food in between.

I used to think fasting meant no food at all. but clearly fasting can allow 1 meal and possibly even one meal plus 2 small meals in a day and no food in between. I think in Ramadam fasting its no food at all between certain times.

Fasting as a term is so variable in its meaning anywhere from no snacking to just one big meal to no solid food... bit like 16:8, 5:2 and 4:3 behaviour. People who do this form of calorie restrict vary in their methods but they are all "fasting"
06 Mar 2014, 08:10
Hello! I said I give up sweets and chocolate for the Lent and I did, a couple of weeks ago, cos I couldn't wait for the Lent to start :) I had some sugar withdrawal symptoms and to suppress those I ate nuts or some fatty/meaty things. It took me several days to stop thinking about/craving sweets. I hope I can keep it up until Easter and beyond because I can feel the difference in how I'm feeling physically and emotionally. I am not a slave to an afternoon biscuit any more! I usually have sugar cravings a week before TOTM, but not this time! What a relief.

Good luck to all :clover:
06 Mar 2014, 09:48
Well done gorba, that sounds like a result to me!
06 Mar 2014, 12:57
After much reflection, 19/5, 16/8, give up flour and sugar? I have decided to try giving up eating between meals, I feel that is when the damage is done, if I want peanuts I can have them as a desert with an apple or I can have a piece of chocolate as a desert. Once it is 30 minutes after a meal no more until the next meal. I am hoping that 6 weeks will be enough time for me to get out of the habit of nibbling. Wish me luck and willpower, I will need it.
06 Mar 2014, 13:30
I think that's an excellent idea Nessie! Good luck!
06 Mar 2014, 14:01
Ramadan is different. During Ramadan, all those adults whose physical condition (pregnant women for example are exempt) permits do not consume food or water between dawn and dusk. In middle eastern countries, you can imagine that the water restriction is the hardest part. The times are signalled by the call to prayers from the local mosques.

My father actually converted to the Muslim religion some years ago after years working in Saudi, however he had always respected his colleagues and fasted alongside them during Ramadan. This act regularly astounded his non-Muslim co-workers but then again, he isn't a foodie, he's always been an 'eat to live, not live to eat' kind of guy so maybe it came quite easily to him.

The Ramadan fast wouldn't carry much healthy benefit however, given that at the end of each fasting day there is much feasting. I would describe it as gorging on food in some instances.
06 Mar 2014, 20:07
In fact, research into Ramadan fasting shows many health benefits including lowered blood pressure, lower cholesterol, better blood sugar. Often there is weight loss too. However, as you say, the gorging at the end of the day appears to have negated the benefits in some studies, but even then it is remarkable that studies fail to show worsened health during Ramadan despite the feasting. The big feast is supposed to be only at the end of the month of Ramadan but it seems that daily after sunset feasting is more common nowadays.

The fact that daily Ramadan fasting can be so beneficial gives encouragement to those of us who follow a daily fasting regime.
06 Mar 2014, 20:54
That's very interesting @Carorees

My observations are based on living in the Middle East over twenty years ago. Obviously the number of families that I observed during that time were limited, but feasting every day certainly seemed to be the norm for most. The gorging at Eiid was quite staggering!

I wonder whether the observed improvement in health was due to general baseline health of the participants being rather poor? Do the studies shed light on that?

Having talked about the unhealthy lifestyle, I suddenly have the urge to get out my middle eastern cookbook and whip up a feast that takes all day to prepare :confused: for years I have rarely allowed myself to even open it, because everything is SO calorific.

As an aside, I wonder now whether my very supple hamstrings are due in part to a childhood where I spent quite a lot of time squatting while cooking with the various families we used to share meals with :smile: I have shelled a LOT of chickpeas (for humous) and wrapped a lot of samosas in my time! Not to mention the houses we often rented which only had Arab - style facilities :oops:
73 posts Page 5 of 5