The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

73 posts Page 4 of 5
Re: LENT
21 Feb 2014, 11:28
5:2 has entirely changed my way of eating and dieting. After being 6 months on 5:2 and loosing some kilos, I have decided only to do the 'little fast' before Xmas, and the 'big fast' i.e. Lent. My pre Xmas fast this time was a total disaster, because of so may unexpected things happened...So I cannot wait for LENT to begin!! I am neither Catholic nor Orthodox. I will do 5:2 again, skip most lunches, exercise more, and see whether I get down to my goal weight. No puddings and no chocolate either! So glad Lent was taken up as a subject!
21 Feb 2014, 12:06
Good luck@margotsylvia i love yr name! I hope you don' t mind me saying but if i had two cats, i wd call them Margot and Sylvia !X
21 Feb 2014, 12:07
I was thinking about it today and a strict 5:2er or 4:3er really carries on the Lenten (and in particualar the Orhodox) tradition of fasting every week of the year as opposed to only 40 days. I guess as many of us have been doing it for months or over a year, 40 days is really quite short.

Dug up some good references about the concept of food fasting in Lent (as opposed to giving up any guilty pleasures). Unlike all of us, they arent fasting for the purpose of better physical health or losing weight. but its interesting how some of the concepts are similar with the fasting we do here as 5:2, 4:3, 16:8: etc etc.

http://catholicism.about.com/od/catholi ... asting.htm
http://catholicism.about.com/od/catholi ... _Rules.htm
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2012 ... cook2.html

This one is a great review of fasting across all religions for religious purposes and effects on health - has some good reading about nutritional effects of fasting .
http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/57
dated 2010 pre MM and 5:2
21 Feb 2014, 13:06
Hi@Juliana.Rivers have seen Philomena....very sad film,very well acted i thought.
the things that happened to unmarried pregnant girls ..thank goodness those times have gone now x
21 Feb 2014, 15:01
All this talk about Lent, has me craving a fish fry today on my feasting Friday. Yum!

:peace: ~Ann
21 Feb 2014, 20:30
slimnana wrote: All this talk about Lent, has me craving a fish fry today on my feasting Friday. Yum!

:peace: ~Ann

In about June last year had a go at deep fried fish and chips in my newish deep fryer. been a while since I did it but I must do it again as it was just so good. Can't be a Friday cause that's my fast day. And strangely i love Fridays food-wise which tells me i love fasting. hmmm maybe fasting really isn't giving up anything at all. Previously i would have thought a day of severe calorie restriction means giving up the pleasure of food but to me it signifies
- feeling better
- an improved figure
- never feeling bloated again.
- overall good health
- a progressive downward curve in Libra.

loving the 5:2 wol.
21 Feb 2014, 22:06
@Margotsylvia is there anything you're NOT giving up?! :grin:

Oh, so you'd recommend watching Philomena would you Candice. Him I wondered about seeing it. Steve Coogan is normally good. Have you seen The Trip that he did with Rob Brydon? So amusing!

Bean :smile:
21 Feb 2014, 22:18
I loved Philomena and Steve Coogan was surprisingly dishy, can't believe I thought that but I did. If you get the chance it is worth seeing

Ballerina x :heart:
21 Feb 2014, 22:46
SNAP re Philomena. Judy Dench is devine in her role and he is wonderful too, it's not that long ago situations like in the story happened.
22 Feb 2014, 00:09
I would say its near to my must see films. i just thought of a new tent!
22 Feb 2014, 00:14
Even though I do not drink them often I want to give up all soft drinks :-)
22 Feb 2014, 00:50
Carley wrote: Even though I do not drink them often I want to give up all soft drinks :-)

A really good goal @Carley

this is a good page about what you already know about the amount of sugar in a can of coke http://www.sugarstacks.com/beverages.htm

even in juice its bad

anyway..

I actually love fizzy drinks and even before 5:2 life (im calling it b52) I was able to quench my thirst for fizzy with either
a) soda water and a splash of freshly squeezed lemon drink. my sis has to put sugar but i go sans sugar

b) soda water and maybe 1/8 cup of any kind of processed juice or fresh juice. e.g. tropical juice mix, cranberry juice.. gives you the sweetness and the fizz but with a lot less sugar

c) soda water straight (cold of course)

now please dont tell me soda water is bad for you as we go through about 10x 2 litre bottles a week in this household.
03 Mar 2014, 08:07
I'm going to try and give up sugar :) exept the natural sugars found in fruit. So basically no fizzy drinks, chocolate, biscuits, sugary tea, etc. Going to be VERY hard as I am addicted to sugar, but going to be SO beneficial in the long run :)
03 Mar 2014, 10:12
Cream - because I like it and I don't believe it is bad for me, so I look forward to having some on Easter Sunday.

Fairly soon I will have my month off sugar, but that wouldn't feel Lenten to me because I don't particularly like it, believe it is extremely bad for me and do not see it as a reward.
04 Mar 2014, 05:50
Dryathlon for me :like:
73 posts Page 4 of 5