The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

72 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: Not drinking alcohol today
02 Sep 2013, 21:47
Emerald17 wrote: Sometimes I think the idea of abstaining is actually more difficult than the reality of it.

How very true - I drove on New Years Eve last year & probably had the best time out of everyone - certainly had the most energy, both on the night itself & the next day :lol:
03 Sep 2013, 01:53
This is a great thread Sian!
I too am trying not to drink Mon-Thurs. I have only drank on one or two fast days at the most and that was just one small glass of wine as you can't get a lot out of 500 :)
Mondays I have my first fast day so that one's easier as is my other fast day (Wed or Thurs). The weekdays where I am 'feasting' are tempting but I can manage most of the time.
I'm sure I ruin this 'good work' though with that I drink on the weekend - me and my boyfriend will quite easily have a couple bottles of wine on a Friday night and then start drinking cider from midday on a Saturday! I have also started having a few on a Sunday night which I don't want to make a real habit of!
I will really try this week to only drink on Friday and Saturday.
Good luck all!
Lil :heart:
03 Sep 2013, 13:07
I'm in today. Should be ok as it's a fast day. Tomorrow will be a test as I always have a glass of wine after a stressful day at work! Think its more habit than anything but will look at this thread for inspiration! Will then review on Friday and if I feel like a wine (more than likely) I'll have one, if not, I won't.
Good luck to ant abstainers today,
X
03 Sep 2013, 14:13
Fasting today, so skipping alcohol, isn't a problem today as LilSmiler said you can't get a lot out of 500 cals :smile:
03 Sep 2013, 14:51
I don't drink alcohol often anyway, but still interested in the thread as I think resisting alcohol is similar to not snacking or reaching for other treats.

Where some have mentioned it being a habit, esp when cooking, maybe a trick to try would be to have a non-alcoholic drink as you would have your alcohol? I'm just wondering if it's like smokers who need to be puffing/ doing that bringing to the lips action? I often drink soft drinks out of wine glasses as I like the thin rim and holding it with a stem. You could get those alcohol alternatives, or maybe just some cordial/ juice and sparkling water?
03 Sep 2013, 15:11
Not drinking today either, even though its not a fast day. Purposely haven't got any wine in only lager and I don't do lager unless its a San Miguel on my holibobs.
03 Sep 2013, 15:13
I'm fasting too, so no wine for me today and no hardship.
03 Sep 2013, 16:06
Well I generally don't drink during the week, although during july & august when I was working less that did slide a bit. SO most other weekdays I would be joining you on this...

BUT

It's my wedding anniversary (2 years) and even though my husband probably won't be here as he's working away, I have the last bit of a bottle of red I think I will finish whilst watching Bake Off, to toast the occasion (no flowers or cards so have to mark it somehow!). However, he is very unhappy about being half way across the country (he's in the midlands, I'm in York), and he did hint he would like to come home tonight (although it would mean late home tonight & early start in the morning) so if he does come back, there's a bottle of prosecco & a couple of bottles of Greene King IPA just in case (got to cover all bases!).

Normal, non-booze service will be resumed tomorrow!
03 Sep 2013, 17:08
Not drinking today - had too much yesterday - Labor Day holiday in the States - I drink too much wine, enjoy it at the time, then wake up in the night with a great big headache - so, hopefully, no headache tonight or tomorrow - thanks everyone for this thread!!!!!! :smile:
03 Sep 2013, 17:21
I did not have any wine yesterday although I did have some today as I was lunching with a friend after an 8 mile walk and thought we deserved it, mmmmm! Since starting 5:2 my wine consumption has dropped quite a lot and the daily wind down glass is no longer set in stone and I am very happy with this. I shall never not drink wine and I never felt I drank too much, quantity was not the problem, dependency was and 5:2 seems to have removed this need which is wonderful. Wine now has a much healthier place in my life, it is a lovely accessory to a nice meal, not a means in itself.

Ballerina x :heart:
03 Sep 2013, 17:34
I'm out today - my son has left home today, on his way to university. We celebrated it in due style :grin: I enjoyed it a lot more because I'd had 48 hours off wine, partly due to this thread.

Won't drink again now till the weekend.

This wine control is way way harder than fasting IMO.
03 Sep 2013, 19:48
Great thread. Thanks. I'm with you Monday to Thursday and yes, cooking the evening meal time is my danger zone. I agree with loseitlyd. Any drink suffices so I have a can of diet coke with ice. I know some of you frown on the diet soda and I never touched the stuff before 5:2ing but for me it's the no alcohol solution for that early evening temptation. Kitchen? Wine rack? Hmmmmm. Later in the evening I am happy with my new love, chai tea bags and coconut milk drink (both from Tesco)
04 Sep 2013, 07:54
I paid heavily for my boozy lunch yesterday with a rubbish nights sleep, which has left me more determined to cut down on drinking. So will make sure I've got something nice to drink tonight like SF ginger beer. I'm low carbing as well today, so hoping to feel well, nourished and rested when I wake up tomorrow, ready tor fast.
04 Sep 2013, 10:38
Good luck today mimumonline.

The great thing about the fasting lifestyle is that it really only does take one day to reset things.
Hope you wake with that cleansed feel tomorrow :smile:
04 Sep 2013, 20:13
Today was not a fast day and I was feeling a little sorry for myself as I was making dinner - seems that is the danger time for a lot of us. It passed as it always does but I have a thumping headache now and I don't know why - I haven't had any alcohol and I've compensated with liters of water!

Wendy Darling, I wouldn't worry about the Diet Coke - whatever gets you through the booze temptation. Who am I to judge ;-)
72 posts Page 2 of 5