The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

72 posts Page 1 of 5
Not drinking alcohol today
02 Sep 2013, 09:30
I'm starting this thread as there seem to be a lot of people who want to cut down on their drinking and would appreciate some support.

So I'm not drinking today after a fairly boozy weekend (Wedding Anniversary) and a week staying at my Mother's house, which I counted as a holiday so normal rules didn't apply.
It's still only 10.30 here which is not a time when I would drink anyway, the danger time for me is when I'm cooking dinner.
Re: Not drinking alcohol today
02 Sep 2013, 09:54
Thanks for starting this SianS! I will have two sets of temptation to resist today - I am out to lunch with some of my son's school friends' mums and then am cooking a paella for dinner. The lunch thing shouldn't be too difficult as I will be driving, but it has always been my habit to have wine while preparing and eating my paella, so that will be tough.

Stay strong! :-)
02 Sep 2013, 10:01
My danger time has also always been when making dinner. Although I also find all the warmer months hard because an icy cold beer or cider in the late arvo is soooo good. But this year I have broken the habit to a large extent. I switched to soda water, and after a few weeks didn't even really feel like that.

That was January, and all was well until recently. It's like my old habit wiring is having another go at asserting itself, and I keep reaching for a beer...
02 Sep 2013, 10:12
Great thread. I'm in until thurs as Hoping to fast mon, weds and fri.
02 Sep 2013, 10:14
Before I began to fast, I liked some strong alcohol but now, all I can drink is wine and only rosé or red because the white one makes me sick.I can easily drink a bottle by myself, though.... well, I could anyway

No alcohol on fast days, only caffeine, but I don't think it's much better. Not 8 to 10 cups a day anyway
02 Sep 2013, 10:30
Hi guys

Defo want to cut down - the Irish in me is reeling at this statement. I have cut down a lot anyway - limited to Sats& the odd Friday or night during the week. I have managed to cut out Sundays recently as Sundays were all day sessions that were just getting out of control. Was dying for some wine with dinner yesterday but abstained and delighted with myself today. Fasting today so defo no wine.
02 Sep 2013, 11:06
I started cutting back towards the end of August after my booze filled holiday. I now try not to touch a drop until Saturday and Sunday. Had my first taste on Saturday for over a week and was underwhelmed and ended up with a banging headache. Had some more yesterday and had another headache. Not the kind of reaction I was hoping for but I'll put it down to the fact that I hadnt drunk much water on either days...
02 Sep 2013, 11:11
No wine for me either because I'm fasting today, and I resisted buying a bottle in the grocery store just now, so no wine this week unless I go out on the weekend.
02 Sep 2013, 11:20
I'm with you today. Cooking supper is also the worse time for me. Don't find it too bad whilst fasting though.
02 Sep 2013, 11:30
No wine for me on Mondays as its fast day. I don't drink Tuesdays or Thursdays either. Wednesday varies as we are sometimes out so I drink then. My doctor said to have at least one alcohol free day a week. I manage at least 3 so I think I'm doing ok.
02 Sep 2013, 11:38
I'm in too. Fasting today, so no alcohol.
For me, the 'act' of drinking is important, so if I sit down this evening with some sugar free lemonade (or other lo cal drink, but not Coke or Pepsi) in a nice wine glass, I shall be happy.
Have drunk every evening whilst on holiday last week (I could say I was lead into temptation by family/friends, but that would be a slight exaggeration!)
02 Sep 2013, 17:49
I got through the pre dinner danger period, Mondays are the easiest for me, though I do sometimes find it harder to go to sleep.
Fasting tomorrow, so there will be enough other things to think about :smile:
02 Sep 2013, 19:25
Today threw even more temptation than I was expecting - my father in law unexpectedly joined us for our paella dinner and it is almost unheard of that I don't have some wine when he is around. I found it hardest funnily enough when I was anticipating getting home, starting dinner and seeing them open the bottle of beautifully chilled rose. The actual opening was not so hard - I will admit I had a taste of hubby's, and it was lovely - but other than that I really didn't miss it that much. I wasn't really tempted at all to say "oh stuff it" and get a glass and join them.
02 Sep 2013, 19:41
Its been fairly easy for me to dodge the wine today - both because I'm fasting, and also feel quite poorly with a sore throat and chest infection. So that's 2 days on the trot not drinking - hoping for a good nights sleep again tonight.
02 Sep 2013, 21:10
Today is easy for me as its not typically a drinking day.
But at the weekend I faced my first real test when I went to Ireland's biggest and best festival and not a drop of alcohol passed my lips.
And I'm happy to report that I had a fantastic time.
Sometimes I think the idea of abstaining is actually more difficult than the reality of it.

Good luck to all trying to cut out or cut down :smile:
72 posts Page 1 of 5