The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

35 posts Page 2 of 3
That's depressing MichaelH.
At the risk of spraining shoulder tendons, a pat on the back works fine for me at the moment. My eventual pat on the back is to be pain free, so I have plenty of motivation there.
Juliana.Rivers wrote: That's depressing MichaelH.

Possibly, but it's a tricky issue, hacking your mindset, it might very well be completely counterintuitive.

I read some of this study, http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobes/2012/290589/, and I'm not too sure what to make of it. I get the impression there is some support for the notion that you do get results from external incentives like someone paying you for losing weight, but this would also make you likely to regain the weight long term, the external motivation decreasing your intrinsic motivation. So I would be careful rewarding or putting external pressure on someone else for losing weight. But rewarding yourself, by your own choice?

From http://weightloss.about.com/od/weightloss101/a/Get-Motivated-To-Lose-Weight.htm

Differing between extrinsic and intrinsic motivation might have some importance, fitting into tighter clothes is extrinsic. Exercising for the sense of accomplishment afterwards is intrinsic, as is eating healthy to feel better, or perhaps seeing 5:2 as a fascinating experiment with your own mind and body, being interested in the process itself, optimizing and perfecting the daily routines, and try to forget about the outcome.

Setting a reward is an extrinsic motivator, useful short term purposes, getting you moving, collecting information, evading some temptations.

It might come in handy if you some day get bored with the exercise, the routines, the dieting - at least you can tell yourself you're getting something out of it in the end even if the goal of getting healthy momentarily doesn't seem all that important in the face of temptation.

Perhaps this approach? http://artofweightlossblog.com/stop-rewarding-yourself/

This seemed like a reasonable POV, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/extrinsic-and-intrinsic-rewards-or-what-really-motivates-you-to-be-healthy/#axzz2gTLu1cD1, balancing the bad rap of external motivators.

I still don't know what to think, but my guess is giving yourself some kind of gift after reaching a certain goal at least shouldn't do much harm.
good links Michael. i will have a looks soon
I like to reward myself too.

When I reach

129 pounds: pair of jeans
120: more Jeans
Final goal 115: A beautiful red coat.

Great day!
Is it rewarding yourself or a necessity to buy new clothes when the old ones are literally falling off? A bit of both I think!

Went shopping today because I only had 4 tops left that fit me (bought in the last month and already a bit big). I chose several items in size 12 (US 10 I think) or a medium and was amazed and delighted that they all fit...they didn't all suit me but they FIT! I still can't quite get over that I'm now a size 12!

However, in the spirit of being thrifty I have also taken in the back band of a bra and put some elastic in the back of a couple of pairs of trousers so they'll continue to be wearable. The trousers would look odd with the elasticated back, but with a long jumper who'll notice? Even having to take in clothes feels like a reward to me!
My reward for reaching my next mini goal is going to be having all my hair cut off! I'm super excited about it.
Somebody cover Ballerina's ears because this might shock her:

I got my legs waxed (for the first time ever) when I reached a healthy BMI. Not the best idea ever.

I've also gotten haircuts and pedicures along the way, but those are things I do anyway.
carorees wrote: Is it rewarding yourself or a necessity to buy new clothes when the old ones are literally falling off? A bit of both I think!

Went shopping today because I only had 4 tops left that fit me (bought in the last month and already a bit big). I chose several items in size 12 (US 10 I think) or a medium and was amazed and delighted that they all fit...they didn't all suit me but they FIT! I still can't quite get over that I'm now a size 12!!

Did the same today, finally, as a colleague said I was developing a '5:2 hitch up' ie the trousers were falling off! (Was meant kindly - they have all been v supportive). Went back to M&S where I had bought size 14 trousers 3 months ago (and felt grateful for that!) ... and fitted into five pairs of size 12s that I tried :victory: :victory: amazed and delighted is just about right, Caroline!! :cool:

PS didn't buy them all, just bought 2 pairs - for now :lol:
I feel that Michael has a point in showing the possibility that 'external' motivations might have a negative effect on 'internal' motivations. But a slight change of perspective could solve this 'problem' (it does for me). Just see the things you do to celebrate your achievements as a real 'celebration', not as a reward or a reason to do something (motivation). Celebrating someting would certainly not decrease internal motivation (I celebrate my wedding anniversary each year, but don't stay married because of that! and it certainly does not decrease my internal motivation to stay married). So, no need to feel despressed, keep doing the things you do when you reach some goals, just see them as a celebration. In my head the title of the topic will be changed to 'How do you celebrate when reaching "mini goals" '.

As to the answer to that question: just wait and see, as my own goal of losing 10 kg. is rapidly approaching.

Pieter-Jan
I like that approach P-JK!

Let us all C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E our victories in our path towards a healthier weight and healthier everything :drink:
I have searched the forum for a thread like this because I was curious about how you all think about "treating yourself" when you've reached a goal. A friend of mine, the one who recommended 5:2, told me that she treats herself to jewellery or something similar (she's a very pearly gal, I wouldn't be surprised if Mesenso was her homepage haha) when she reaches a goal, but I figured that can get a bit pricey in the end... But there's a lot of good ideas in this thread, thanks!

In the end, you can always use a goal as an excuse to go shopping anyway. :wink: :grin:
I hit my first target today - I've gone under 64kg, so I was going to pop out to the charity shops, and have a bit of a splurge - some size 10 jeans maybe, or some bling, but its rained solidly all day, so I've stayed in ! I have made a marmalade and ginger cake for having in front of GBBO tonight, which will be a nice treat.
For those who might have missed it: I celebrated reaching my goal by posting a set of 'before & after' pictures:
www.52fastdiet.co.uk/5-2-diet-results-f ... t8937.html
Minumonline wrote: I hit my first target today - I've gone under 64kg, so I was going to pop out to the charity shops, and have a bit of a splurge - some size 10 jeans maybe, or some bling, but its rained solidly all day, so I've stayed in ! I have made a marmalade and ginger cake for having in front of GBBO tonight, which will be a nice treat.

Congratulations! And that sounds super delicious - enjoy! The cake AND your accomplishment, of course. :smile:

P-JK, you look fantastic! Great idea, the wedding attire. I'm afraid I wouldn't fit into my wedding dress even if I was on my goal weight... Those were the years!
35 posts Page 2 of 3