The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

80 posts Page 4 of 6
Re: Some one shoot me PLEASE
17 Aug 2014, 21:11
It's been said that sugar and wheat are as addictive as cocaine and as difficult to get off.
Carorees would know the science of this, there's something in their composition physically affects the brain like drugs do, exhorting us to more consumption. This spurred on by excessive ubiquitous propaganda and advertising everywhere, never leaving you a chance to break off and rest from them.
17 Aug 2014, 21:19
@hazelnut20, I have done tiredness eating, boredom eating and resentment eating and still do to some extent; so far my fasting regime is letting me get away with it, but there may come a day I will need to get a grip.

Anyway, wipe today out of your mind, sleep tight and report for fasting duty tomorrow
:heart:
18 Aug 2014, 11:14
@mariondot40@sassy1 @AzureBlue and all dismayed folk on this thread..
Woman on Radio4 this morning talking about how she has managed to totally give up sugar ..says why we struggle to stop eating it is that thousands of years ago,we would gorge on it when we found it..for example if we came across a tree laden with berries,apples etc,we would eat all we could get our hands on.Difference being these days its readily to hand,many years ago searching for sugar would entail burning up hundreds of calories..So we arent greedy,and we shouldnt be puzzled by our behaviour coz it is very deeply built into our psyche to seek out sugar and overdose on it
Her name was Sarah Wilson,but i only heard part of the item as i had to go out,but I' m gonna go to " listen again"online ... I think she may have written an article giving an 8 week schedule of how to beat the sugar trail...might be worth taking a look - she claims she never eats sugar now. X ps The programme was Woman's Hour 10.00 a.m.today,and she came on about 10.30
18 Aug 2014, 11:31
Thing is, @CandiceMarie, I don't want to give up sugar, just be able to manage its intake. As said, I admire people who can give up such foods, but that doesn't mean I want to be one of them!!

I do tend to think that sugar (and wheat?) are addictive in a similar sense to alcohol (don't know anything about cocaine!!), in that not all people are addicts - in fact, most aren't and can manage their consumption, but there are some who are (genetically?) vulnerable and once they start consuming, can't stop.

I do think that, armed with all the knowledge I have gained thru being part of this forum, it IS willpower and positive self-talk that I need in order to manage my overeating!

Cheers! :D
18 Aug 2014, 11:40
I agree! I dont want to give it up totes either.. but i do think many people tho not all have SOME form of addiction whether its sugar,wine,cigarettes etc etc etc ..it seems that most of us need some sort of crutch to get us thru this life...and if unluckily we are drawn towards consuming too much sugar,we have that added prob of conditioning from way back in caveman days X
18 Aug 2014, 11:48
Blimey Candy, your Moomins are making me dizzy :bugeyes:

I feel for you @Sassy1 and you're definitely not alone. Theres no way I can give up my Butterscotch Angel Delight...no way!

I was under the impression that as long as you fast 2+ days a week you should be able to eat what you like the rest of the time. Just have everything in moderation. Presumably you don't crave sweet things ALL the time? I think our bodies are crying out for certain things when we crave food aren't they. Just have some bad days and follow them up with good days.

We need to be able to enjoy food without feeling guilty don't we. So don't give up food that is pleasurable.

:heart:
18 Aug 2014, 13:56
Hi @Nursebean

Agree totally and certainly am not giving up any foods that I find pleasurable. It's just that when I start to eat some of the less healthy foods, like milk chocolate, I find it hard to stop. As you say, I am not alone there! Fortunately I don't crave sweet things all the time - just every evening... I still need to learn moderation....

Haven't done too bad today. Had a v good fast day yesterday, and today was able to limit the chocolate to 3 Roses and 3 Maltesers. Did have a lovely bread and butter pudding for dessert tho!

Cheers! :D
18 Aug 2014, 16:02
I started this WOL because I was tired of forty five years of constantly dieting, then regaining, then dieting again etc. I was attracted by the idea that I wouldn't have to give up any of the foods I love and which have been my downfall after reaching target on many previous diets.

This time I have given up nothing that I enjoy. I eat cake, biscuits, puddings and desserts, sweets and chocolate but (and this is a very big but!) because I don't feel deprived and 'different' from other (slim) people, I have found that I no longer need to binge (well maybe very occasionally!) and am learning to eat these things in moderation - a concept previously unknown to me! :shock:

I would suggest that, if you find temptation hard to resist, then you don't keep your 'trigger foods' in the house. Plan when you will eat them, so you can look forward to them, and only buy them in small quantities.

I have stopped buying lots of biscuits every week 'just in case a visitor popped round' - who was I kidding? I knew exactly who would end up eating them!

I have learned that we don't need a calorie-filled dessert every day - fruit is fine or a small portion of ice-cream or, even more revolutionary (to me at least) nothing at all!

I have also learned that it is quite possible to go into John Lewis and have a cup of tea - with no cake - who would have thought it!

Please, whatever you do, don't beat yourself up if you binge or over-indulge yourself. We are all here because we love these things which have helped to make us fat. The way forward for me was to not deprive myself, learn moderation and enjoy every mouthful. Perhaps it could work for you?

My apologies for the length of this post but I find it really bothers me when people feel guilty about their eating - it's supposed to be a pleasure folks! :smile:
18 Aug 2014, 21:42
Very well said @StowgateResident :)

Do you have any (other) tips for how you have been able to eat in moderation, particularly when you do have a large supply of whatever food it is in the house?
19 Aug 2014, 08:22
I tend to think of the comments I'll get if I put the weight back on again-my friends and family are not a tactful bunch!
19 Aug 2014, 10:16
Breakfast today, following glass of filtered water :-
One teaspoon coconut butter, one large organic soft boiled egg, two squares 90% chocolate, two cups fresh organic decaff coffee.
Amazingly tasty and filling! Is this some kind of fusion food?
;0)
19 Aug 2014, 10:30
StowgateResident wrote: I would suggest that, if you find temptation hard to resist, then you don't keep your 'trigger foods' in the house. Plan when you will eat them, so you can look forward to them, and only buy them in small quantities.:
Americans on some forums refer to managing trigger foods in the early stages as 'storing at the store' - i.e.. buying them as needed and in small quantities. :) And I strongly agree with @StowgateResident about retaining the pleasure, sociability and enjoyment of food.

Sassy1 wrote: Do you have any (other) tips for how you have been able to eat in moderation, particularly when you do have a large supply of whatever food it is in the house?
There is a vast amount of baking/food preparation in my home and sizeable food stores, @Sassy1. Somehow, I never think of it as 'mine' (as in, a food option from which I should select my day's menu).

A lot of it is stored in boxes and what I can't see, doesn't call to me. If I have something that my DH can't stop eating then I will freeze or dehydrate it: if it's not suited to this then the item is portioned up and distributed to neighbours/family/colleagues/sports club, after he's had an appropriate portion.

I know that I notionally have the freedom to eat anything that I want and this might help me not to experience a sense of deprivation or restriction. Most of the time I choose not to eat items that are associated with uncomfortable or undesirable consequences. Choose the food, choose the consequences. The consequences might range from a few break out spots, a bloated/distressed stomach or, for those people who struggle with this, compulsive over-eating.
19 Aug 2014, 10:38
That's some breakfast there o@Azureblue

Having to move away from pesky yellow banner seems that the tag sets it off.

Loving this thread, as it is what happens -we eat - and the honesty is refreshing

as to the lady who gave up sugar it is Sarah Wilson a beautiful young Aussie woman who surfaced on our MasterChef program used to write a column then wrote her book about giving up sugar which is for sale in our supermarkets now, might just buy it. To add to the groaning bookshelf after I have read it of course
19 Aug 2014, 10:43
I've signed up for her quit sugar in September freebie :0) I follow her on twitter, an interesting lady indeed.
19 Aug 2014, 10:47
Yes she is rather forthright was a follower of her column but she is more on line now and I haven't read much from her since then but the book is probably a must read as am a sweet tooth @Azureblue
80 posts Page 4 of 6