The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

71 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: Menopausal Weight
02 Feb 2013, 23:49
I am with you on this one Ursula - long live Spanx!! and their M & S equivalent!! Bought a pair of panties that go right up to the bust line and a slip which sucks everything in and makes you look so streamlined and at least 1 size smaller. They give a great look under dresses!! Apparently all the celebs wear them so we are not alone in this!!
I too have tried the M & S fuller longer meals - they are lovely and I bought quite a few that can be frozen as our M & S is a 20 minute drive away. I am not finding the fast difficult either - just keep busy and look forward to my ready meal in the evening and know I can have a lovely breakfast the next morning!! I must get used to drinking more water though - everyone says it helps - so I have bought some fizzy water which I will put some lime slices in. Keep it up Ladies!! Deb
05 Feb 2013, 12:11
smac wrote: I'm also having a prob with menopausal weight, started 5:2 diet on 14th Jan and have lost 5lbs but waist measurement has decreased by 2.5 inches and defiantly feel the difference round my middle, just hope it continues! :)

Hi smac, isn't life a bummer? You get old, your hair gets thin whilst your waist gets thick, you go grey and wrinkled but mother nature always compensates, she makes your eyes bad so at least you think you still look nice. I have been doing this way of life since about October last year and I have lost 6 inches from my waist, I now seem to be plateau-ing a little but I'm sure things will move again soon. I have never felt better and the house has never been so clean due to my increases energy levels. I have just sorted my knicker drawers and now know what 50 shades of grey is really about. I am actually planning to do this forever as I want to reap as many health benefits as possible before my appointment with the grim reaper. Sounds like you are doing well so far so just keep up what you are doing and I don't think you will go far wrong, good luck, Ballerina x
05 Feb 2013, 14:01
Ballerina wrote: I have just sorted my knicker drawers and now know what 50 shades of grey is really about.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
05 Feb 2013, 17:22
I have just sorted my knicker drawers and now know what 50 shades of grey is really about.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
05 Feb 2013, 19:53
hello ladies, count me in on the post menopause front.
I lost 4lbs in my first week.This my second and I havnt weighed yet. I'd been a strict low carber with no weight loss for nearly a year so this downward movement is giving me such a boost. I'm not expecting 4lbs this week though it would be nice.
Onwards and downwards.
barbara
05 Feb 2013, 22:32
Hi all
Me too...
I have entered premature menopause at 42. I have also been a low carber for years and got great results with that WOE. Will stay on low-carb for life, but want to do 5-2 to give my body a chance to rest from food and heal. Monday was my first fast day and I didn't find it hard as I thought I would. YAY to that! :) Plan is to fast Monday and Thursday and see what happens.
06 Feb 2013, 07:39
Hi Dana, I too have continued with low carb but I have let up from the Very low carb which I had practised. I allow myself much more veg and the odd piece of fruit. I dont know why but nutritional ketosis didnt work for me and despite them telling you that with NK it dosnt matter too much how many calories you eat ,I beleive that for some ,it does. So, I am hoping with a combination of the LC and the 5:2 I can break through the menopausal weight gain syndrome.
06 Feb 2013, 08:08
Hi Cuddly! - I think you have it absolutely right - a combination of low carb and 5:2 maybe the answer to the menopot!! I have already seen a great difference in my tummy and waist measurements after 3 weeks! I have had the odd piece of wholemeal bread but mainly sticking to lots of veg and protein and legumes - beans and lentils - on my feast days and just protein and veg on fast days. My great standby is a small protein shake - just protein powder and water! - only about 80 calories and lots of protein!!
Good luck Dana too - we can do it!!
06 Feb 2013, 17:11
Hi cuddly and debbiewright
I totally agree. When I started 5-6 years ago I was very, very strict and I didn't exercise. I never counted calories but the closer I got to my goal weight the harder it was and at the end I was watching calories as well as carbs.
Since I entered meno I started going to gym regularly and do all sorts of things - social badminton, yoga, walking, jogging and weight lifting in hope to prevent osteoporosis. Thanks to all that activity I can now eat much more carbs and they don't affect my insulin levels like before. I have something like porridge, quinoa, wholegrain rice or tortilla. I eat loads of veg, moderate fresh meat, eggs and nuts, legumes, some cheese and lots of fresh berries and other fruit.
(Until Christmas when I go crazy! :( I started having treats early December and stopped late January :( Never again.)

I love protein shake - Solgar vanilla is fab! good for fast days but also any other day before gym with peanut butter and 1/2 banana. Yummy!
06 Feb 2013, 17:31
Hi Dana
Peanut butter and banana are fab in a shake - my favourite - not heard of Solgar before - I usually use maxitone products which I buy on line - they do a lovely Cafe late and breakfast oats which are low on carbs too. I have started doing kettle bells - love it - just 30 minutes full on and wow do you feel it!! I do a session at the gym with a personal trainer - my little luxury!! - who really pushes me and walk the dog every day. I reckon thats enough!! I try to eat sensibly - the odd glass of wine and G @ T - lifes too short to deprive yourself too much lol! I really like this 5:2 though - I am on a fast day today and just put a chicken breast and some roasted veggies together for dinner and had some homemade vegetable soup for lunch - job done! Hubbies joined me in this now so just give him a bit extra. Best wishes
06 Feb 2013, 18:06
Debbiewright, I work 2x per week with personal trainer and must say that was the best spent money EVER. I need someone with the megaphone and whip. :)

Try Solgar, Whey To Go, Whey Protein Powder, Natural Vanilla Flavour - can get it on Amazon. It is one of the best, no nasties in it.

Agree again on wine and G&T, every now and then when I have 'treat day'.
06 Feb 2013, 18:12
Hi, I started the menopause 4 or 5 years ago and with it have lost and gained the same 1stone in weight more times than I can remember. I am finding the 5:2 a breeze. Losing weight is the easiest I've ever found. On fast days - which are EASY - I have one evening meal and on all my other days I eat normally. Some days I overeat, some days I don't. I have lost 7lb without even noticing it. Keep at it. ;)
06 Feb 2013, 20:37
I reckon I need to lose 2 stone to get the BMI back into range and wouldn't it be great if the flippin' hot flushes went too. Only had them for 11 years now...
06 Feb 2013, 21:52
hello ladies ,Azureblue , my hot flushes are still with me but not too bad and my energy levels are so much better.I last out all day now without feeling tired.I really dont feel 60.
Ive been keeping my protein levels lower than I was after reading the book.I already knew about gluconeogenesis and had cut back hard from say 120 gms to around 60 gms.If I end up low on fast days which I have today I will eat more protein tomorrow.
I should have weighed this morning but never got around to it.So' I'll update my progress tomorrow.
I am very optimistic that the meno ladies might just have success on this WOE , do hope so as I'm so fed up of chasing the same pounds of pork up and down the scale. I want my clothes to fit nicely again.Not so much to ask is it ??
07 Feb 2013, 08:22
a bit disappointed this morning not to actually register a loss on the scales, however my waist measurement is almost 1" down on last week.
Cosidering I have been strict 4:3 I was expecting a bit more bang for my buck but I know ,probably like a lot of others that I am highly resistant to weight loss. SO, I'll carry on and see what happens. I toted up 525 yesterday but I cant really see that so few cals could make a difference.
I noticed soemthing odd last night though, I was quite wired when I went to bed for some reason ,I also felt hungry , my tum was grumbling.Usually in that situation when I wake up my hunger is gone but this morning my tum was still gurgling. Clearly no re feed through the night for soem reason.
hey ho.
Barbara
71 posts Page 2 of 5