The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

71 posts Page 3 of 5
Re: Menopausal Weight
07 Feb 2013, 08:27
Hi cuddly, that's great news that you've lost an inch off your waist! The fat is definitely going! The fact that the scales don't show a loss means nothing apart from the fact that you've probably gained some water or muscle. So it's really working! An inch is a really respectable loss. Well done!
07 Feb 2013, 11:12
Jan wrote: Hi Ladies
I am looking for support.
I have been on the diet for about 6 weeks now with practically no results of weight loss and have been reading your comments about Menopausal weight. I am 50 and my weight has definitely increased around my middle.
I have just ordered some scales that measure body fat so I can see if this goes down as opposed to my weight.
I exercise 3 times a week at a gym (spinning, aqua and gym) but weight is just not moving.
I have just registered on the forum and am looking forward to tracking my weight loss once I get my new scales.
I am finding the fasting days fine (I eat 200 calories at lunchtime and 300 for dinner). I just wondered if i might be eating too many calories on my feast days though?
I really thought I would have lost some weight by now though but I intend to continue. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
thanks. :?

Hi, same here! getting frustrated as my excess is on my tum since a hysterectomy (total). I'm on HRT & had never had a weight problem before as naturally very slender. Healthwise I wouldn't be considered over weight -yet- but i'm a good 10lb over normal for me so I feel very uncomfortable as it sits on my tum.I do keep active & work full time but I realise I must stop feeling a failure as so many of us are in the same boat. Obviously weight gain at the menopause is very usual, I just feel it's better to try to fight it before it gets unmanageable!Good luck!
07 Feb 2013, 11:42
Hi Caroline and fellow pork fighters.Yes, an inch is nothing to sniff about.I was convinced that 'weight' would have gone down as I feel lighter and very 'tight' in the body if you know what I mean.
I really need some new scales too as depending what way you lean a different figure comes up so I have to be careful to stand in the same spot always. Ive just been too 'cheap' to spend the money.
07 Feb 2013, 11:56
Hi Barbara Do you have scales that show your fat loss - I think that is more valuable than weight loss? I too didn't lose much weight one week but lost nearly .5% body fat.
Don't be too disheartened - after looking at some of the other posts there are weeks when people aren't losing anything - just think of the health benefits too!! I think the fact that your waist measurement is down is a good indicator too! Keep at it - we will all get there in the end!!Best wishes Deb
07 Feb 2013, 16:25
Hi debbie,Thanks . My scales are from the last century !May have been Wilkinsons best even! What scales do you have ? I dont want to spend a fortune on such a tool of torture but clearly i need something better.I am keeping in mind the health benefits , in fact that is the most important to me. I have a very physical job /business.Retirement is not even a dot on the horizon so as I am now 60 and pretty fit I want to keep it that way.So a sensible weight would be good too. In fact my goal of 10st 7lbs I beleive to be very realistic but is a long time coming.
I'm absolutely determined not to get sidetracked though.I'm here for however long it takes.
I'll look into the scales...I might even do it now.
Barbara
07 Feb 2013, 17:00
Hi Barbara - Next do some and so do Salter - I think I got mine from John Lewis which are Salter but I guess Argos should do a good range! I heard a great quote the other day - "Stop trying to be Skinny, and start trying to be Healthy!!" - great advice for us all!!
Deb
07 Feb 2013, 17:37
Hi debbie, thanks for that. Ive just been on Amazon and read the reviews. My head is spinning !
Thats a great quote.I never did want to be skinny.Hubby wouldnt be very pleased ! people seem to equate thinnesss with being healthy .It just isnt true.Someone plump on good food is more healthy to my mind than someone who is skinny but eats junk.
Does nayone else dread the freezing cold tape measure around the warm waist first thing in the morning ? Maybe soemone should invent a heated one.
Barbara
07 Feb 2013, 17:54
Hello ladies! My questions more about menopause than weight loss but as you all have experience maybe you could help! I am 42 and keep waking in the night sopping wet allover.This happens maybe once or twice a month. I can't link it to my cycle as due to the type of contraception I use, I rarely have a period. Is this the start of the menopause? It's been happening for maybe 18 months but is very irregular. ( sometimes nothing for 2 months)I thought it might be linked to alcohol consumption :shock: But it happened last night and I haven't had a drink since 26th jan! ( most unusual for me!) at 42 I'm not too young for many things but hoped I was too young to start this! :cry: Are there other symptoms i should look out for? Or is it just different for everyone? Thanks x
07 Feb 2013, 19:42
Hi Claire, if you look back in this thread you'll see that Dana mentions that she entered premature menopause at 42. I know it isnt unheard of ,Ieven had a cousin who was in her 30s. What you describe certainly sounds like night sweats. Personally I just get raging hot.
There may be other reasons for these night sweats and it might be a good idea to get it checked just in case it is caused by seomthing else. If you google the symptoms of menopause they are many and varied. For me it was the hot flashes, brain fog,lethargy,palpitations and ?? weight gain. Alcohol deffo makes it worse for me and to a lesser extent caffeine.
Barbara
Cutting out carbs got rid of my brain fog though so maybe it was carb rather than meno realted.
07 Feb 2013, 19:48
Hot flushes, especially at night and even worse sleep than normal are my symptoms. The hot flushes were really bad at first, then my body seemed to recover and I had several normal months (iykwim) plus no hot flushes, then everything came back but the hot flushes were bit quite as bad. I did get palpitations with them too. It all started at about 48 I think, so 42 is not desperately early.

Many female hormones are stored in fat which is one reason for the link between overweight and breast cancer, but it may be that losing fat affects hormone balance.
07 Feb 2013, 20:17
Hi Claire, I'm 43 and I noticed the hot sweats last year, but mine are day and night, so thought loosing weight might help as I can't face another summer (even British summer) wet through the whole time.
07 Feb 2013, 20:28
I was 53 when I started the menopause .Its such an individual thing.I learned to recogniose the flushes coming,I would get a stranage creeping skin sensation in my calves which would then move upwards at a rate of knots.If I get my legs on cold sheet quickly or hang them out of bed it generally cuts it short ! What a malarkey eh ?
07 Feb 2013, 20:44
Hi

In my case my body definitely changed around the menopause and seemed to store fat much more easily. In my youth (!), if I didn't eat for a day I could easily lose 5 pounds almost overnight and I was already thin !

I swear that I hardly eat anymore than I used to but since I retired ( and stopped HRT) I have gained about 20 lbs and hate it.

I debated going back on HRT but I have been on it for over 20 years (early hysterectomy)' so probably not a great idea.

I have managed to postpone the symptoms of the menopause until 60 though which I guess isn't bad!
07 Feb 2013, 20:59
Hi Claire007
I would suggest to go to your GP and check - there is a simple and accurate test so you'll know for sure.
My symptoms started a year or 2 earlier, I was in perimenopause but didn't have a clue! At 42 I had all the symptoms cuddly had - hot flashes, brain fog, lethargy, palpitations, dryness and depression on top. Luckily I have a great GP and she helped getting me on the bio identical hrt. All symptoms gone in a week. Still have an occasional hot flush but very mild. I am 46 now and have never been more active in my life. Good luck :)
07 Feb 2013, 21:24
Thank you all, will see GP x
71 posts Page 3 of 5