The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

69 posts Page 2 of 5
Re: Lets see what u eat
22 Apr 2013, 06:10
Sorry tompan no typo there. It's readily available here in the supermarkets. High protein, low fat similar calories to chicken breast. Much like steak to eat. So for meat eaters it's a healthy choice.
22 Apr 2013, 06:12
tompan wrote:
Wineoclock wrote: Yikes! Tell us kangaroo was a typo...of course I suppose it would sound outlandish if you heard some people in the Southwest ate rattlesnakes...as for me I'm a veggietarian.

Kangaroo is pretty tasty, a very lean and fairly gamey meat. A roo steak is lovely cooked rare and left to sit to tenderise, and mince will make you a great burger. TMI for a vegetarian?
22 Apr 2013, 07:20
I too have graduated to just having dinner.
It seems to be the easiest option for most, but not all, once you've been on 5:2 for a while.
I mostly have the same thing, a plate of mixed veges- pumpkin,beans, carrot,beetroot cooked without fat, then a bowl of some low calorie fruit,usually melon or strawberries.
Then I have a low fat yoghurt , or sometime a piece of wholemeal bread with fruit only jam. I keep to between 450-480 cals.
I keep a frozen "healthy choice" meal (256 cals for fillet of lamb) on standby for if I'm in a rush.
22 Apr 2013, 07:29
I only have the one meal, dinner, on fast days. I like to eat tasty real food so the Hairy Dieters' cookbook has become my best friend. The whole family love the recipes - tonight it's the chicken and mushroom risotto, yum!
22 Apr 2013, 07:40
I just have one meal too - dinner. I find it easier to have a ready meal, so I have a fresh quorn cottage pie, which is 366 calories, loaded with lots of fresh veg, which takes me up to around the 500 calorie mark. I'll probably have these every fast until I get fed up of them!
22 Apr 2013, 07:52
What a great post!
I am trying to move most of my calories to the one meal - I'm starting to have an apple for lunch, couple of teas or coffees with a splash of milk. I always have a bottle of fizzy water on my desk for fast days, seems to trick me into feeling full!
Then in the evening I try and have something tasty that the family can eat too. So tonight its the prawn curry from hairy dieters (highly recommended), Wednesday I think it will be chicken & roasted veggies.
I had been eating a small portion of spicy lentil soup for lunch and that seemed easier over the winter.
22 Apr 2013, 07:55
Another Hairy Bikers fan I'm going to have to get the book!!
22 Apr 2013, 08:31
Re. the kangaroo meat - Tesco did it a few years ago but it didn't take off. I think the mistake they made was they did it in a burger form with added nasties and it didn't taste of anything much. It sounds as though it might be similar to venison, which I quite like if it is cooked properly. It is also very lean and healthy. I buy mine from the local farmers market. Tesco do it sometimes, but a warning - do not buy it in burger form, it is horrible. Buy it as venison steak, or the diced meat. So much tastier! I like to keep fast days simple, lots of veggies in a harissa type sauce with preserved lemons and a little meat, Asian style fish steamed with ginger and loads of veggies, stirfried prawns and lots of veggies. never eaten so many vegggies in my life and enjoying them so much :smile:
22 Apr 2013, 08:40
I just have an evening meal usually from the Hairy Dieters Recipe Book - chilli/spag bol/sweet n sour chicken/thai curry served with 1oz dry weight rice or harissa chicken with couscous and a big salad. Just ordinary meals that the whole family eat.
22 Apr 2013, 08:49
I usually have the same each fast day: nothing except drinks (black coffee, herbal tea) until lunch then a HUGE salad with leaves, chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion and a few olives. Then for dinner half a tin of low sugar beans and a poached egg. A satsuma if calories will allow.

I need to make sure I eat loads of fibre and bulky stuff or I quickly start to feel really rubbish.
22 Apr 2013, 09:33
Kangaroo is easily available in supermarkets and is extremely lean. Very tasty I hear. (Not for me though LOL!)
22 Apr 2013, 11:15
I have to eat lunch, so always have 2 Wasa crispbread with a scrape of low fat Philly and 1slice of wafer thin ham....125 calories. For dinners I use mostly Hairy Biker recipes that I've precooked and frozen in portions. Tonight is Jambalaya without the prawns....302 calories. I'll have 100g strawberries...27 calories and an Options choc drink ..30 cals this evening...grand total...484 calories. My main tip to anyone for fast days is to freeze ahead portins for evening meals
Good luck to all
22 Apr 2013, 11:24
Just coffee, water and fruit tea and sometimes a cuppa soup (around 60 calories) and then the remainder of my calories for dinner - usually fish or chicken and lots of veg - usually roasted with lots of garlic and herbs for added flavour. Tonight we have some left over lasagne so I will be having a small portion of that with a large salad. In the evenings I drink sparkling water so it feels special and I have it in a wine glass!!
22 Apr 2013, 11:27
Hi Rachel
I lived in Burton for 20 years before emigrating to France, what a small world.
22 Apr 2013, 11:36
I have one meal only and that is at dinner. I tend to eat always the same food. Most of the time is grilled chicken breast with vegetables. Once I know the calories, I leave the rest for pasta with tomatoe sauce and parmesan.
Otherwise I would eat light cheese (100cals for 100g) with turkey breast or canned meat in jelly (simmenthal) which I like and is very low fat and of course lettuce or tomatoes or veggies. I find these choices quite filling.
69 posts Page 2 of 5