The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

69 posts Page 1 of 5
Lets see what u eat
21 Apr 2013, 20:51
Anyone fancy posting what they eat on fast days ? Looking for inspiration plz
Re: Lets see what u eat
21 Apr 2013, 21:15
I have a bowl of cooked oatmeal with a bit of almond milk around 11 and then I make a huge garden salad with romaine lettuce, radishes, cucumber, zucchini, grape tomatoes, sugar peas, bean sprouts, feta cheese etc. (with a tbsp of raspberry vinagerette) and a chicken breast for dinner. I usually have enough calories for a few pickles or olives.
I try not to eat after dinner as that is my dangerous time for snacking. I would like to only eat the one meal eventually.
I like the fast days to be easy so I just make the same thing for every fast. That way I don't have to think about it or get all caught up in "meal planning".

Shelley
21 Apr 2013, 21:24
For my first couple of weeks I ate -
- scrambled egg whites and tea with a little milk for breakfast (50 cal each)
- one bowl leafy salad (20 cal) and banana (100 cal) for lunch
- 40 cal Cadbury hot chocolate for tea time
- any clear broth based soup (150 cal) and two toasts (150 cal) for dinner
It's approximately 510 calories and I felt quite full :)

Since week 3 I save up all my calories for a big dinner, hope this helps :)
21 Apr 2013, 21:29
Although I've tried going the veggie route, it wasn't the best for me so I am going the porridge way.
Oatmeal boiled in water for both lunch and dinner and now that constipation knocked on my door I add a little spinach or lettuce in it.
For snacks, either rice&corn crackers or broth made of stock cubes.
21 Apr 2013, 22:10
I usually have porridge with skimmed milk for breakfast, cottage cheese and salad for lunch then a small portion of meat with lots of veg for dinner, if I'm lucky I can manage some fresh fruit too. I like green tea with ginger and lemon so I drink loads of that during the day.
21 Apr 2013, 22:57
I eat dinner only and have one of:
Veggies and fish or chicken
Big bowl of Rice Chex with skim milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
Turkey wraps using low carb tortillas(45 calories each) and lots of veggies
Huge salad with grilled chicken and vinaigrette dressing
Soups or low fat chili
The other night we picked up food from a fast food restaurant on my down day, so I had a couple chicken soft tacos.
Tonight I'm making a garden burger (100 calories) with tomato, lettuce, onions, pickles, low sugar ketchup and mustard on a regular hamburger bun (120 calories) and will grill some zucchini to go with it
If I have calories left over, I eat a tangerine or sugarfree/fat free yogurt.
I like the idea of oatmeal for dinner. I could use 100 calorie sugarfree packs so could make a nice filling bowl.
21 Apr 2013, 23:24
Generally fish (salmon) baked in the oven with oven roasted vegetables (no potatoes though) or a chicken stir fry with mainly veg and just a little chicken or a Bolognese sauce bulked out with lots of veg in it served with courgette (zucchini) "spaghetti".
21 Apr 2013, 23:56
Coffee, coffee, coffee. diet soda, Big leafy salad with balsamic vinegar for lunch, low cal soup, spiced up with Tabasco sauce and with an added cup of water for dinner. Like another poster, I have the same things every fast day. Love not thinking or worrying about food. Depending on the soup, I usually consume between 400-525 calories on each fast day.
22 Apr 2013, 00:25
I normally just have one meal, and it's mostly dinner (have done lunch on odd occasion). Rest of the day is just water and green tea. Some fasts I'll factor in half a cup of milk to my calories, and that does 3 cups of tea.
My meal is virtually always protein with salad or veg. So a baked chicken thigh through a salad (lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, capsicum, herbs, baby spinach, rocket, any leafy greens I happen to have) or a small steak with steamed veggies (courgette, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli), a pork chop with baked veggies (pumpkin, butternut, mushrooms, cauli, broccoli, courgette, beetroot, carrot) etc.
Has anyone else found that their sense of taste is incredibly heightened for that first food after fasting? I don't get it for the next morning's breakfast, but for dinner on my fast day. It's like my tastebuds are on steroids :)
22 Apr 2013, 00:50
Throughout morning: apple (80 cal)

Lunchtime: 1/2 cup veggie soup (130 cal)
Greek yogurt (80cal)

Dinner: 2 scrambled eggs (140 cals)
steamed veggies (70 cals)

I find the hardest time to be after dinner. I often feel cranky and try to get to bed early. I feel like I need something at lunchtime when I am working (physical type of job). I crave sugar in the evening....

Some other dinners on fast days: salad with chicken and small amt dressing
tempeh with steamed veggies
22 Apr 2013, 02:18
Coffee and water all day.
River cottage Pinto bean chilli (350 cals) maybe with some cos lettuce and avocado.
Stir fry with lots of bok choy capsicum other veggies, a little brown rice and chicken. Cals vary depending on what I use.
Roasted mediterranian vegetables.
A huge salad with some chicken or kangaroo.
If I have leftover calories then some fruit and low fat yoghurt and a hot chocolate.

With the weather cooling down here I will start making soups.
22 Apr 2013, 02:19
And I tried cauliflower rice the other day so will include that sometimes. Lots of rice for little calories.
22 Apr 2013, 04:22
breakfast = soft-boiled egg and 100g strawberries
dinner alternates between sashimi, Mexican pizza, and vegetable and chicken stir-fry (all from The Book)

If I'm still well under 500cals, I'll eat a tangerine or some miso soup if I need it.
22 Apr 2013, 05:19
Tend to stick to the same thing when I'm at home.
Coffee to start with, then lots of water, more water, maybe some fizzy water, and then it's lunch time.
Water or maybe a bit of mixy up juice, sometimes more coffee mid afternoon or peppermint tea or a can of diet Irn Bru (as a treat)
Dinner is 2 slices of lumpy bread and 2 poached eggs then either yoghurt or semolina, frozen berries and 3 chopped up apricots.
If I'm away it's usually a bit of bread, moutabel, some salad and protein (preferably falafel) or, if I'm really lucky a plate of Umm Ali (and nothing else!)
It's easier at home but I don't stress if I'm away as it's usually buffet.
22 Apr 2013, 06:00
Wineoclock wrote: Coffee and water all day.
River cottage Pinto bean chilli (350 cals) maybe with some cos lettuce and avocado.
Stir fry with lots of bok choy capsicum other veggies, a little brown rice and chicken. Cals vary depending on what I use.
Roasted mediterranian vegetables.
A huge salad with some chicken or kangaroo.
If I have leftover calories then some fruit and low fat yoghurt and a hot chocolate.

With the weather cooling down here I will start making soups.

Yikes! Tell us kangaroo was a typo...of course I suppose it would sound outlandish if you heard some people in the Southwest ate rattlesnakes...as for me I'm a veggietarian.
69 posts Page 1 of 5