The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

174 posts Page 5 of 12
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12 Next
Carorees, when he first started his diet in the 70s it was low veg and high fatty foods, by the 90s he had changed it, now similar to the South Beach diet (4.5 cups of veg per day). In the 70s & 80s it lost a lot of favour, both with the press, the Drs and the dieters. Too bloody hard is how I found both of them. In the early years we all thought it was marvellous to be eating bacon & eggs washed down with cream, but then it became difficult to eat no carbs. Obviously he realised this and modified the diet.
tomtank wrote: Would any Greek nutritionist say that this situation was healthy?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20688623 looked at high levels of overweight in one part of Greece, but only recording the situation with no attempt at explanation.
Sorry, picking up on an off-topic bit of this thread, the human studies of longer term low-carbing are (of course) hugely contentious, but here's four papers (not without their criticisms) that might throw some light (or, perhaps, more fuel on the fire!):

fung_2010 low carb all cause cause specific mortality
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 247461.pdf

noto_2013 PLOS ONE: Low-Carbohydrate Diets and All-Cause Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0055030

floegel_2012 BMJ Low carbohydrate-high protein diets
http://ki.se/content/1/c6/04/99/84/Floe ... 202012.pdf

gardner_2007 JAMA | Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal WomenThe A TO Z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... eid=205916

tl;dr ?
Low-carb diets work but followed long-term might cause problems, especially low-carb diets based on animal protein (ooh, I could set off the veggie fire here too *grin*). More research is needed...

Enjoy! FatDog.
GMH - to quote from Harvie's website - "To reach your perfect weight, all you need to do is follow a low-carb diet for two days a week. For the rest of the week, just eat normally, but sensibly - following a healthy, Mediterranean diet."

Of course her studies will show decent results. Unlike MM, she's not encouraging people to eat unhealthy foods on non-fast days.

There is absolutely no comparison to be made between these two authors. The only thing they have in common are the numbers 5:2.
Well Well what a lot of differing opinions we have here!!!
But what page is it in the book that MM told us to eat a load of CRAP?
Think I jumped that section!! And why are all these people getting hot under the collar when they've not even got the B++ls to fill in tracker and progress for us all to see how they're doing? Come on now if you want to play then play fairly :curse:
Good Luck to all those who do :clover: :heart: :like: Sue
I have set up my tracker but I have just joined and have to wait till next week to put in hopefully a loss, so it's not showing yet :geek:
Oh just checked and I hadn't set it to be displayed hahahaha thanks for the reminder :oops:
No probs chipy was thinking of someone a bit more opinionated than you appear to be LOL :clover: Sue
Now now children, can you please play nicely?
Dominic, this may be of interest to you from another thread,

Re: TDEE question

Postby Ballerina » 22 Jun 2013, 17:27
"One small piece of cheese would use up our 500-calorie allowance. Once I get going with the carbs, then it all comes back on again!

tomtank"

Google One serving of cheddar cheese, 1oz/28gm = 112 calories NOT 500 calories, perhaps this is why you believe you eat 3000 calories per day,

Ballerina x
OK Dom will do, got to go now anyway :like: Sue
SueQ - I haven't filled in the tracker because I am doing 5:2 for the alleged health benefits. I only had a couple of unwanted pounds to lose, having lost 15 kgs on a low-carb WOE.

What I have done is posted several times to say how much my stamina has increased doing 5:2, and I am able to run, swim and cycle further than before.

So it's not all doom and gloom from my end!

Ballerina - an ounce of cheese wouldn't even touch the sides. What I consider to be a small piece would be four times larger than that!

I don't believe I sometimes eat thousands of calories - I know I do!
tomtank wrote: . I swim a mile most days, then hop on my bike for an hour of steep, uphill cycling, followed by an exhilarating run later in the day.

Tomtank I have to admit I am really confused - I thought I had read other postings from you where you said that you ate 3000 calls per day, sat on the sofa/couch all day but the weight still dropped off :?:

I am really interested to know - Do you actually do 5:2 or at least restrict your calorie intake on some days within a week or are you only following Atkins? (If 5:2 is a part, it is a pity you don't use the progress tracker so that your weight loss success with eating such huge quantities of calories is visible.)

Just a comment about whether people make healthy or non-healthy choices on non-fast days - I am sure I have read many postings where posters have commented that their tastes have changed and the non-healthy foods they may have chosen to eat in the past have lost their appeal.

Anyway I just think it is wonderful that so many feel that the flexibility of this WOE has put the control in their hands, rather than battling to conform to someone else's rules.
Hi cmce,

Sorry to have confused you! I do a lot of sport, but the point I was making was that even when I didn't, I still lost weight because I kept the carbs low.

On the other side of the coin, over a 7-day period recently, I swam 5 miles and cycled for 10 hours.

After all that, I had only lost half a pound, which proves that exercise isn't that instrumental as regards weight loss!
I am an obese person that started 5:2 in January, I had not gained or lost weight for about ten years apart from one stone after last baby in August. I did try Atkins some years ago, but although I did a month I just couldn't get on with it. The reason I started 5:2 was the fact that I could continue to eat 'normally' five days of the week and still lose weight. I had resigned myself to always being overweight. I was obviously eating within my tdee as my weight was so consistent and it worked! As the months have passed I have found my attitude to food has changed and I don't eat as much of the bad stuff as I used to although I have always ate pretty reasonably anyway.
5:2 doesn't mean you can eat unhealthily and still lose weight as it won't work long term, unless you do ADF to balance the calories. But even if you do eat carbs/unhealthy food at times losing weight has massive health benefits by itself and I can already feel this. Being lighter (two stone now) means that recently I have begun considering exercise, which would never have happened without 5:2. Giving people a starting point does not mean they will eat rubbish forever, but does mean they can begin their journey to better health and who knows where that journey will take them. 5:2 has given me the tools to change my life and my health for the better.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12 Next
174 posts Page 5 of 12