The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

174 posts Page 4 of 12
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12 Next
Maybe the 2 Fat Greeks are on the seefood diet :wink: Name for your cookbook TML13?
GMH, that's MY diet. My cousins were just very unlucky genes-wise. But that's not the place to discuss it.

I haven't thought of a name. Perhaps... Pickled Dangly Bits and Other Delicacies? Or... The Unhealthy Cook Book (there will be many carbs in it, that's for sure).
TML who's thinking completely + totally healthy when in any part of Greece for 7nts only per year? Not me I did this year go for Greek salad at lunch and potatoes or salad with evening meal, but I'd just done 4weeks with this woe so already a little ''training'' going on, didn't fast at all but got stuck in on my return, don't think hubby can take F word just yet so called it healthy eating plan plus calorie counting (well I do 3days )
Now I know I can return + resume plan + get away with it so to speak, find the heat/sun makes me Loads less hungry anyway, hubby very supportive and now you can't help but notice we were joking yesterday about a top I put on after walking + shower looked like maternity top.
God forbid!!! But dead chuffed later when changed to go out put top on had 2yrs never worn fit oh so well, happy bunny, now you get back in the sun coz its raining here 'mooaann, your lovely Greek salad is waiting and don't pick out the olives like I do LOL :heart: Sue
Sue, in Greece or wherever, when on a holiday we shouldn't think of what we eat.
I gain a pound per day when I'm in England, that's why I avoid staying for longer than 10 days, LOL!
Sadly, I'm having lots of stress lately and I don't enjoy food but I'm hoping for the best.
My mum called me earlier, she is enjoying the sea&sun (my parent's house is a 10-minutes drive from the beach) but I'm a bit far and I'm settling with my balcony. :-)
Am I right in thinking that Atkins was grossly over weight when he died or am I mixing him up with a different diet 'guru'?
Merlin, he was overweight when he died because of complications while he was in the hospital after an injury. They say that he wasn't overweight at the time of his injury but, of course, his PR team did many efforts to convince everybody that this was the case.
I guess we'll never know. They also say that e wasn't healthy...
No not him: Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest in April 2002, On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on an icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma.
Chipmunkcheeks - I could only have brought a member's family into my comments if the member in question had done the same thing in the first place!

The point I was trying to make is that being on a low-carb diet is healthier than being obese!

I am certainly not against fasting for health benefits, and shall continue to do so.

The forum is great for people needed encouragement and support, even if they are changing things along the way.

To those who say that studies show that health markers have improved, regardless of what they eat, this only applies to ADF, which is a lot more severe than 5:2.

Just seen your post, Merlin. Yes - reports say that Atkins was overweight when he died, but that doesn't mean that his WOE doesn't work!!

Like lots of people, he stopped following it for some reason.

Also, much of the damage done to our bodies is brought about by bad eating habits in our youth, so, whatever we do in later years, we may not be able to undo any harm that has already been done.

This could apply to Robert Atkins.

I recently gained 10lbs, because I bowed to pressure from other people who thought I should eat more "normally"!

I kept introducing little treats of cake and chocolate etc., but I soon lost it by reverting to low-carb.
Tomtank, you do understand that you've crossed a line here, don't you?
Not just because you mentioned members of my family but because you have no idea why they were obese...
I understand your need to preach but, please, try to do it without insulting.
Tomtank, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others. One size does not fit all. This forum is not all about you. I have seen other comments from you and you have a lot of good stuff to contribute but please stop being so aggressive about low carbing.
Actually dr Mosley had marked changes in bloods after doing just 5:2 and I think that the Dr Michelle Harvie and Professor Tony Howell. research showed some improvement in bloods other than IGF1?
Hi wildmissus - as I have said, I think the forum is a great place for everyone.

Of course the forum isn't all about me. Unfortunately, of the thousands of members, relatively few post any comments.

It's natural that we will disagree with each other. Someone posted recently that it is none of our business how people want to conduct their lives.

It is in my nature to want to help people. There is nothing wrong with that. We are on here to support and give tips.

For some reason, the words "low-carb" provoke arguments. Perhaps it is because there are many people who are really reluctant to cut out the very foods that led them to being on the forum in the first place.
Dr Harvie became interested in the research being done in other parts of the world on the impact of fasting on the metabolism, and became determined, together with Professor Howell, to design her own diet and test it rigorously.

Shocked that the average British woman spends 31 years of her life on a diet despite us being the fattest in Europe, and that 66 per cent of British men are overweight, it became plain to Dr Harvie that a better eating plan may have a powerful effect in reducing breast cancer risk and other health problems associated with middle age.

A thousand women agreed to take part in the research: some followed the 2-Day Diet plan, others followed a basic daily calorie-control diet.

Overwhelmingly, the 2-Day dieters did the best. They had a 15 per cent greater reduction in their insulin function than the daily dieters, lost more inches from around the waist and, vitally, 65 per cent of them lost weight.

That’s a fantastic success rate, given the average recidivism rate for dieting (that’s losing, then regaining the weight within a year) is 95 per cent.

and remember the other research re fasting? The cells go into repair mode after a few hours of fasting, which is why it is better than all day dieting
Ok, so I read Atkins' book thoroughly and contrary to what was touted in the press, the diet is not about eating lots of meat and fat. In fact it emphasizes the importance of vegetables and it requires you to eat at least two cupfuls of vegetables a day. Carbohydrates in the form of complex, unrefined carbs are gradually introduced until the diet starts to look pretty similar to the so-called Mediterranean diet (as described by diet researchers rather than what people in that region actually eat/ate).

Scientific studies have shown that a low carb diet produces better weight loss and greater improvements in cholesterol than a low fat diet, although the relatively short-term nature of the studies did not show huge differences. I know of one paper discussing the long-term safety of a low carb diet which described studies in rats suggesting that there may be a risk of developing a cardiomyopathy due to accumulation of fatty acids in the heart muscle (the heart runs on fatty acids when glucose is in short supply as during low carbing or fasting). Whether this might happen with persuing a fasting or low carb lifestyle in humans we don't know.

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, I must say that I think dominic summed up the situation admirably.
Merlin wrote: Am I right in thinking that Atkins was grossly over weight when he died or am I mixing him up with a different diet 'guru'?

or maybe just repeating myths.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/hea ... htm?csp=34

Sian Porter of the BDA could do with losing a fair bit too if we're judging the message by the speaker.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12 Next
174 posts Page 4 of 12