The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

174 posts Page 7 of 12
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12 Next
Got to say, if I could, I'd eat crap everyday, many times a day. I don't because I know that I shouldn't but I still long for it, LOL!
Totally agree, that realisation that being hungry for a while is ok, delaying gratification is worth it, and low carb, high fat, or any combo you like, Im in charge now!!!
byoung103 wrote: It feels like magic.

... And there's another quote for the Forum strapline!

But I agree it does feel like magic, like a magic wand has been waved ... And within reason, we can eat more or less the same things as before, but lesser quantities, and not all the time. And the marvellous thing is, we don't want them all the time... :victory:

And I did so enjoy that tapas meal (with cafe gourmand for afters) with friends on Friday night :lol:
Thanks Phil for posting that. I've read the Dr Atkins article previously but not the Aussie doctor's one which I found most interesting. It fascinates me that greater numbers of people appear to be increasingly reluctant to accept responsibility for the choices and behaviours in which they engage. In addition some Medical professionals and pharmaceutical agents readily "medicalise" these lifestyle choices as "disorders or illnesses" to be treated. Dr Karen Hitchcock's article touches on these issues as well in her article "Fat City"
the American Medical Association has decided obesity is a disease which I don't see as a positive move for encouraging self control and responsibility. Now it's something you "caught" or "have" as opposed to "did".
Hmm, yes and being a disease it needs to be tackled only by qualified professionals. Like members of the AMA, for instance...
My father in law died recently from obesity related stuff. His BMI was around 53. He believed that the reason he had diabetes, kidney problems, thyroid problems, sore joints, circulation problems, etc was because his doctor was useless and took so long to diagnose some of the problems which they should have prevented anyway!!!
Hi:

The AMA does not have a long history of being right - after all, it is the organization that started the high carb eating craze in the US.

I have no idea if obesity is a disease or not. I have read about and seen TV programs that link some obesity to a chicken virus and a variant type of gene. Regardless, the issue is how to undo any damage done by being overweight.

Given my long experience in that effort, it seems to me a form of fasting is the best chance so far.
Obesity CAN be a disease. There are genes' abnormalities which lead to obesity and losing weight is almost impossible. :-(
I'm pretty sure there was a news report not that long ago that they had found a gene that caused some people to put on weight/have difficulty loosing weight but is only accounted for up to a 5kg difference.
I'm talking about obesity. It runs in my family, that's how I know it.
TML13 wrote: I'm talking about obesity. It runs in my family, that's how I know it.

that can be as much about learned behaviours and eating patterns as about anything medical. You did say you would eat crap all the time if given the chance :grin:
What about the identical twin data that shows that identical twins (identical genes) separated at birth and raised in completely separate households (different environments) have very similar weights as adults.

And although only a few genetic syndromes have been demonstrated that cause obesity thus far there is little doubt that tendency to be obese or thin runs in families. It is likely that obesity will turn out to be multigenic whereby many different genes contribute to the tendency to gain weight - these might include many factors such as a slightly slower metabolism, a slightly increased tendency to store fat, a larger appetite, using less energy when you exercise and many more.
I watched a TV programme on the 'fat' genes the other day (I think it was Fat Families on channel 4) and fat genes do exist. I think there was one which increased your appetite and another than made you enjoy the taste of fatty food more. My father's family has a tendancy to obesity (my grandmother was obese and had diabetes, my great aunt is obese, my father puts on weight easily) and I know I have to be very careful what I eat - more so than naturally 'skinny' people. Now I know how little I am allowed to eat to maintain a low BMI(even though I do loads of exercise) I am in control of my weight.
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12 Next
174 posts Page 7 of 12