The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

65 posts Page 2 of 5
Thanks for those suggestions @Azureblue I'll def give it a try. One day... :wink:
I'll need to make a chart for the joy of ticking it off to counteract the negative attitude though. :lol:

I was always useless at hula hoop too Manderley I'm hopeless at it on Wiifit (not got that out for months) too, but maybe should give that a go. I wonder if it would help. :?:
Same here! I'm looking to lose the weight around my middle. I have had to go on HRT, due to having my ovaries removed, and the result is I have middle life spread in my twenties! Prior to this major body change, I could get away with eating the takeaways or eating out alot around my busy lifestyle...now every cheat shows. The thing is as well it in a ring around my middle, so same on my back which I hate even more!

Luckily, having started 5:2 a month ago I've dropped half a stone and it appears to mainly have come off where I want it. So fingers crossed the trend continues!
I'm definitely having challenges with the waist. My legs and bumm are in good shape, aside from the lose skin. My waist is still 38 and I just can't imagine ever getting it to 30. Even 34 is going to take some effort beyond the 5:2 it appears. I've lost 34 pounds since January and planned on losing 7 more and don't think it will come from the waist. Definitely challenging. I have a book that talks about women needing more dairy to help rid of belly fat. Will try to eat more yogurt but it can be disconcerting.
What an interesting topic! I'm a pear that was turning into an apple for the first time in my life. I really didn't know if I could change it back. Losing weight with 5:2 certainly helped, but I credit my newly discovered waistline to zumba. The hip rotations and the sucking in of the lower belly/abdomen are a regular part of aumba as are hip/pelvic thrusts. Actually, zumba is perfect for tightening the core! And more than anything, it's fun (and somewhat sexy)! :grin:
Azureblue wrote: This is an effective waist reducing exercise. If done regularly
and correctly, it shows distinct result within a month. In this
exercise, you need to suck in your navel as much as possible.
Ensure that your upper abs area is not sucked in, for that will
completely nullify the effect. Hold your breath in this position
for half a minute and then exhale gradually. Repeat the cycle
for 20 minutes every day. This exercise basically trains your
stomach muscles to contract and hold tight, which eventually
becomes an automatic behavior. Thus, your stomach muscles look flatter and
Well shaped.

Well so they say anyway. Shall we try these?

That sounds excellent & can be done anytime , anywhere & no-one would know :wink:

Think I'll try that a few times at work today :like: - just can't see me doing it for 20mins at a time :shock:
Very surprised today I have lost half inch off my waist although just maintaining with 6.1 my waist has been very stubborn ,it's not much but every loss is very welcome :)
Thanks Azureblue, I will give those exercises a go and let you know how I get on.

Has anyone got any ideas of what exercises to do to get rid of excess inches off the bust??? I know most of you would prefer them there but I don't!
Just found this thread (how did I miss it?) - my main reason for doing 5:2 was to shift midriff fat, and get down to 50% waist / height. My waist was well out of proportion to the rest of me, meaning I had to get bigger size trousers just to accommodate waist ... i'm pleased to say I have lost 5.5in of waist so far, which brings me half an inch off the 50% thingy ... But would still like to lose more to bring me under 30" ... I am mid fifties and feel very pleased so far, as like everyone else, I was concerned about the gain since I had the big M and thought not much could be done, at least not easily.

So don't give up everyone it is definitely possible ... Will bookmark this thread and keep checking back, may even try the exercises which would be a first for me, as I am an exercise-phobe! :shock: :wink:
GoLinda wrote: I'm definitely having challenges with the waist. My legs and bumm are in good shape, aside from the lose skin. My waist is still 38 and I just can't imagine ever getting it to 30. Even 34 is going to take some effort beyond the 5:2 it appears. I've lost 34 pounds since January and planned on losing 7 more and don't think it will come from the waist. Definitely challenging. I have a book that talks about women needing more dairy to help rid of belly fat. Will try to eat more yogurt but it can be disconcerting.

Dairy can promote IGF1, which we're trying to avoid in order to reduce cancer risk. I can't think what the scientific rationale for dairy reducing abdominal fat might be. Do they say?

Fasting does appear to reduce abdominal fat more than other diets but, sadly, it seems that the abdominal fat is more resistant in some of us than others. My problem is my waist is too small relative to my hips so trousers gape at the waist. Sorry...
If I have a natural yogurt for breakfast but no milk in the day and an occasional slice of cheese and a little butter is that too much dairy please?
It was in the news recently that health officals are worried about the lack of younger people (girls mainly) not getting enough calcium as milk and dairy has fallen out of favour. There's been a rise in rickets apparently, as dairy is where most people get their calcium. Therefore it is probably worth making doubly sure that if you do cut dairy out of your diet, that you make sure that you have a good calcium source. However, bear in mind that you can only build/ prepare your bones until the age of 26, after that it is damage limitation. Having had a grandmother with osteoporosis, I can say it is not a plesant illness and bone health is very important!
my mom has osteoporosis as well and I will probably have it as well so yes, calcium is important and cutting dairies seems worthless. I drink semi skimmed milk, sometimes just before going to bed as it helps me to sleep (I am an insomniac), I make my own yogourts and eat one a day, except on fast days, and I have a bit of cheese every other days. Not a big piece, but good stuff with lots of flavours

Life is short

And I truly don't think it has an effect on my stomach as I keep losing the fat there and even have a waist now :grin:
Moderation in all things remains a good principle!
Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread which talks about whereabouts to place the tape when measuring the waist. I did it round my tummy button initially, but am thinking that for the 50% of height maybe that's not right. Sure I read it somewhere, but the search throws up a gazillion posts! :confused:
During the winter months I do eat starchy products even though I know it will cause bloating and other health problems relating to my skin and as soon as I stop eating potatoes,pasta,rice, wheat products my waistline re-appears.

Definitely agree with the abdominal exercise recommended by Azureblue, but I do it when I remember. Also sitting up straight so I can feel my spine stretching helps particularly when I spend a lot of time on the computer.
65 posts Page 2 of 5