The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

346 posts Page 10 of 24
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24 Next
I'm on my fifth week of 5:2 fasting and it's becoming easier every week. I generally fast on Mondays and also try to do a spinning class the, initially was worried that I wouldnt have any energy, but it's quite the opposite, I feel fantastic! However doing a (hot) yoga class proved a bit too much on a fast day, due to extreme dizziness I had to sit out some postures. But in general I don't see a problem with exercising on a fast day.

On fast days I also sleep very well, so no negative side effects there either, but like most fasters I feel very cold on fasting days, so I always extra warm on fast days.

I get a bit sluggish around 4pm, so sometimes take a vitamin boost tablet (with guarana) and this sorts the problem.

There is some constipation, but for an IBS sufferer that's a rather normal state of being so not worried about that.

Day after fasting I fancy something sweet mid-morning, usually this is sorted with one dark chocolate covered rice cake, which at 55kcal can hardly be considered to run my general diet.

I don't weight myself so I don't know about amount of weight loss, but after four weeks I feel a bit more toned around the waist (now closer to size 10 than 12). And seeing as I'm doing this diet out of curiosity more than weight loss, it's a nice side effect!
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but have been ifasting since shortly after the Horizon programme was aired, and have just successfully completed my 57th fast day. Although I have dabbled with complete fasting for 24hrs (ala Brad Pilon), almost all of my fast days have been fast diet-style days consuming around 450kcal. I'm 46, male, and have dropped from 89kilos to my present 75kilos (approx.) over the last 12-18 months, the latter half of which was from ifasting and the former from regular calorie restriction.

So, in short, I have and continue to succeed in the goals I set for fasting; to lose weight, keep it off and hopefully gain some of the reported health benefits. However, I have had a few small negative effects, and one big one....

Lightheadedness: prior to fasting, I got this very occasionally. Now get this a little more. Definitely not problematic, though.

Insomnia: I have always had this, although I have noticed that over the last few months this has gotten significantly worse. However, as I have been fasting for around 6 months, there may not be a direct connection.

Cold: I get way more cold these days than I used to. But I'm older and have considerably less body-fat, and if only this winter would shove off and make room for a lovely, warm summer......

Snacking: this is my biggie. I have always loved eating, and certainly for the last 10-15 years, I have "enjoyed" more snacking than is healthy, hence my need to drop weight. I read that most people don't eat considerably more on eating days than they would normally, and I think that this is how it started for me. And whilst I haven't slipped up on a single fast day since I began, I am finding that my eating days are much more "snacky" than they used to be. This isn't causing me to gain weight, but in order to maintain my desired weight, which is where I am at now, I am still fasting for two days a week. This seems excessive, but not surprising if I look back at the snacks I am eating. The flip side to this is that I take my choice of main food much more seriously than I used to - I work out what food I would most enjoy, and I really do appreciate it when I eat. This seems good to me, but I would really like to be controlling myself more in-between meals.

Has anyone else struggled with such an increase in snacking? Can anyone help in any way?

Thanks
K.
Yesterday I had the most peculiar taste in my mouth all day - the closest I can describe is like a pile of damp twigs - earthy, but not in a pleasant way ! Maybe too much black tea, which can be a bit dusty.

So hard to separate the other effects - I get insomnia, constipation and feel cold, but then I always have - and it is freezing at the mo anyway !
I have felt light headed on the evenings of the fast day and have some headaches as well. Other than that not as hungry as I thought I would feel. Just hate that everyone on TV on fast days seem to be eating delicious meals! I have also felt fuller after eating a smaller amount than normal on feast days but I'm happy with that. Pigged out on Mothers day and felt awful in the evening.
My weight loss has stalled again, up and around 75.2 to 75.7, back and forth all month but never lower, even after a fast day. Should I drop my feed days to 1600 cals and 400 on fast days to give it a jolt (currently 1700 and 425)? :0(
Hi everyone,

KevTHC - I am snacking still on feed days. I am doing 4:3 and it always seems worse on the second feed day when I do two together. I think once I get in the habit of eating again the restraints come off a bit! Ate loads yesterday!
I'm not sure I have a solution for you though. I have stopped having choccy in the house so that I have to buy it as I want it while out of the house and as I prefer dark choc that isn't always easy - however will eat any choc if I really want it!

I was eating sugar snap peas as snacks the other day and I had some olives so that might be the way to go particularly as it gets warmer. Let us know if you find a workable solution.

Azureblus - annoying to plateau, I have had this a bit but probably because of overeating on feed days. Have you put your stats in the calculator lately? that should tell you what to aim for so you know if the 1600 / 400 cals is the correct amount.
Azureblue, I don't think you should drop your feed day cals more but on one of those days put in a low cal day...like skip lunch for example so your calories that day are around 1000, it might be enough. You should work out your TDEE just to check though what feed day cals should be.
Just wanted to follow up to say that my negative side effects have all but disappeared after changing my fasting format to lunch then dinner. Before I was on breakfast and a late dinner :-)
carorees wrote: Azureblue, I don't think you should drop your feed day cals more but on one of those days put in a low cal day...like skip lunch for example so your calories that day are around 1000, it might be enough. You should work out your TDEE just to check though what feed day cals should be.

Coming out at 1687 TDEE today so 421 cals on fast day. I'll do the 1000 today as it's mid-way between my fast days and I have a very poorly grandson with chicken pox here today who concerns me far more than my weight!
Many thanks for your good advice as ever :like:
Well my weight dropped to 74.8 hurrah but my head is quite dizzy this p.m. Is it from low cals yesterday or the flat white I had at Costa today? Hmmm may stick to small caffe latte next time!
I am in Week 5 and have noticed the night 'of' a Fast (with a non-fast day the next day) I am cramping in my arms and legs to the point where it affects my sleep (it's much like I've heard described about Restless Leg Syndrome). Last night, my first fast day of this week, I woke in the night and my legs, arms and in fact entire body ached/was restless and it severely affected my sleep. (I also began hallucinating, but that's another story!) It is now 5pm following that night and my arms and legs are still really painful. I drink lots of water on fast days, don't overcompensate on non days and am healthy other than migraines (funnily enough no headache problems these past few weeks!). My BMI is around 21.5 so I'm not needing to lose much more, but want to continue to support my husband, who is making terrific progress, and for other health reasons. But I can't take another night like last night. Any suggestions?
Two suggestions...are you drinking lots? You could be flushing salts out of your body. Try having a salty drink like vegetable bouillon. Second if you don't need to lose much/any weight, have a bigger fast day calorie allowance.
KevTHC - I am snacking still on feed days. I am doing 4:3 and it always seems worse on the second feed day when I do two together. I think once I get in the habit of eating again the restraints come off a bit! Ate loads yesterday!
I'm not sure I have a solution for you though. I have stopped having choccy in the house so that I have to buy it as I want it while out of the house and as I prefer dark choc that isn't always easy - however will eat any choc if I really want it!

I was eating sugar snap peas as snacks the other day and I had some olives so that might be the way to go particularly as it gets warmer. Let us know if you find a workable solution.

Thanks Rachel. I agree with the multiple feed days seeming to get you back into eating. There's definitely something funny happening in my head, as I know full well that I don't feel hungry, because of course I now know exactly how that feels due to the fasting, yet even when I feel full, I seem to feel the need to snack some more. It's quite curious. I am doing a little better on this at the mo, so as they say elsewhere, one day at a time.
After nearly 4 months on 5:2 I find my only real negative is cold - I am extremely cold on fast days, enough to be an annoyance to my wife. She suffers from hot flashes, so it's a constant battle with the thermostat when we are both home. The only other negative I can think of is my inconsistency with hunger on fast days. Most I sail through but some are tough, and there doesn't seem to be any reason why.
Hi, yes I also feel much colder on fast days and my sleep is very restless. However on non fast days I am feeling just great, especially the following morning after fast day - go for a walk with the dog before breakfast and feel 'light' in my stomach if that makes any sense? Drinking plenty of water and black coffee, lemon and ginger tea which is now a favourite, so no signs of headaches thankfully.
Previous 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24 Next
346 posts Page 10 of 24