The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

638 posts Page 41 of 43
Previous 1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 Next
@Azureblue my 29 year old boiler failed on me last summer. It was a valve in the pipework under the stairs rather than the boiler itself. It was mended and is still working fine though we realise it'll need replacing soon. I'm not sure how long the emersion takes to heat, perhaps an hour would ensure the tank is hot ... oh and my experience is always get 2 or 3 quotes when dealing with contractors. The benefit of the outlay for a new boiler is hopefully cheaper bills?
Thanks honey, it's the seals gone on mine, emitting killer fumes, so it's got to go.
I'm not so good on house upheavals these days, prefer a quiet life :0) hey ho.
@AzureBlue sorry to hear this..upheavals are a pain, get it sorted soon as poss..i know you will..
We found out our gas fire was emitting killer fumes... Luckily found out in time before we were poisoned to death..!
But i feel sure it played a big part in me and DD becoming so unwell for so long :(
So sorry for your loss,@Azurblue.. I can't be of any help, I am afraid, as I don't handle this kind of things but our boiler nearly exploded a couple of years ago so I feel your pain....

Love your bunny sleepers @CandiceMarie :heart: These days I walk barefoot all the time except to go out :wink:

We arrived safe and sound last night and here's what I have in front of me since early this morning
Edit : Hang on, I have a bit of an issue with the size of the picture, be back in a sec :cool:

Here it is

Oh dear Manderley, you've got me drooling into my coffee!!!!! :wink:
Dee
In more other news, today the car stopped working while we were at the lights at a particularly busy roundabout :bugeyes:
Eventually some kind van drivers kindly helped us push the dead thing off the road out of their way and after an hour the RAC turned up. His computer said there was nothing wrong with our car. Wrong. He towed us to a garage and we walked back into town, extra unexpected bonus steps for me today!
What a week :confused:
Just for you @Azureblue :wink: - hope the expense it not too painful
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...
...always look on the bright side
of life...
(Whistle)
Always look on the light side
of life...
(Whistle)

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle
- that's the thing.
And...always look on the bright
side of life...
(Whistle)

Come on.

Always look on the right side
of life...
(Whistle)

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain
with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the
audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance
anyhow.

So always look on the bright side
of death...
(Whistle)

a-Just before you draw your terminal breath...
(Whistle)

Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, keep 'em laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

And...
Always look on the bright side
of life...
(Whistle)

of life...

C'mon Brian, cheer up

of life...

of life...

Worse things happen at sea you know.

I mean - what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
- you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing.

(I mean) of life...

what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
- you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost?

Always (Nothing.) look on the right side of life...

Nothing will come from nothing ya know what they say?
Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin!
There ya go, see!

Always look on the right side of life...
(Cheer up ya old bugga c'mon give us a grin! At same time)
There ya go, see!
@Azureblue, Sorry to hear about your boiler and your car! Why don't you check out the Government's 'Green Deal'. There may be money available towards a new boiler as your boiler is older than ten years. Good luck!
@Manderley, your holiday place looks idyllic - have a lovely time! Your cats will be fine! :smile:
@StowgateResident We came home in the middle of last night and let me tell you, those girls are not happy campers at all.... They even won't eat, which is not the norm here.... :cry:

I need someone who can draw. I am looking for my next tattoo and I have an idea. Nothing really complicated, 2 letters and a year date, but I would like it to be beautiful and I can't draw to save my life.... any idea ?
I have a question for an Australian - pinging @Sallyo or @wineoclock or @maggiee or @Debs or...
I'm reading a memoir that I got used, which claims on the cover to be "An Australian classic". It's called My Place, by Sally Morgan. But I have noticed quite a few typos, so it isn't well edited, despite being released in many other countries. And I find the writing to rather lack fluency. It has that this-happened-and-then-this happened-and-then... sort of feel. It is an interesting tale so I'll keep reading, but I am really wondering whether this is indeed a classic by a person everyone knows about, or whether that's just the publisher being hopeful.
Hi @wendyjane well I havent heard of the book so I googled it and it is said to be an
Australian classic. I found this review
"My Place only achieves true context when read in conjunction with Judith Drake-Brockman's autobiography, "Wongi Wongi". Ms Drake-Brockman, still living and in her nineties, is the last surviving witness to the actual events Ms Morgan dramatizes in her fictional narrative. Here's a link to Judith Drake-Brockman's books.
http://www.brockman.net.au/morgan.html"
Maybe the other Aussies have heard of it.
I know this book. I think I would call it a 'classic'. I think it gets that status from being a book about an Aboriginal family, written by an Aboriginal woman, who tells the story of discovering her back ground, which was hidden from her when she was growing up. This book is often studied in schools and there is a kids' version. It is a story that needs to be told and which white Australians may not have been aware of before it was written. I understood it was a true story of Sally Morgans family. In the past there was taboo and shame attached to having Aboriginal back ground. Kids were told they were Indian, as was the case here. Now there is more pride in owning Aboriginal roots and so such stories are coming out. What you say about the writing quality may be so, but Sally Morgan was just an amateur writer. It is the story and the time when it came out which made it special.
Thanks, @sallyo and @wineoclock. I definitely think it's a true memoir, not invented. And I am enjoying reading it, in spite of my criticism of the writing style. Hard to imagine not guessing your background when you looked in the mirror. But that was the '50s and 60's for you - everywhere. Intentional blindness. And the author points out that her sister, a year younger, knew all along, because she was just somewhat more clueful!

EDIT: I have just looked at that link, which I don't want to read now as it may spoil the story. I've only gotten as far as the end of her childhood, not her discovery of her roots. But clearly there is some dispute about the veracity of Sally Morgan's story.
Got the mended car back yesterday - hurrah.
Car broke down again today and garage towed it back to them - boo. No further news on that ...
Plumber came to quote for a new boiler today, a week after it died - hurrah.
If we all think positive thoughts, it might get fitted next week - hurrah.
Will take 3 days of chaos and mess - boo.
Manderley wrote: I need someone who can draw. I am looking for my next tattoo and I have an idea. Nothing really complicated, 2 letters and a year date, but I would like it to be beautiful and I can't draw to save my life.... any idea ?

Good tattoo artist should be able to draw it for you :) also this is very good page with many different fonts, you can even write your text there and try how it would look: http://www.dafont.com
Previous 1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 Next
638 posts Page 41 of 43