The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

67 posts Page 2 of 5
I haven't been getting many steps in. This winter has been especially cold. Yesterday morning when driving my son to school, it was -15F /-26C. So it's hard to get any walking in. I'm hoping for a thaw soon.

Side note - someone named KarenG asked to friend me. Is that someone on this forum?
@tracieknits That's me!
Yesterday I went for a short walk, then decided spur of the moment to go to Zumba. Total for the day - over 16000 steps. The best part was that the leader of this Zumba class, which I hadn't been to before, is Scottish. It is quite delightful to be cheered on (loudly) in a Scottish accent, I must say :smile: :smile: :smile:
http://fitbiteurope.tumblr.com/post/110 ... -fat-story
Anyone who watched the Katie Hopkins doco , may recognise this woman. Exercise alone won't lose you the weight but it's a great toner upper. And the happy juice I get from my exercise is an essential "natural drug" for me.
Love my fitbit.
KataMac wrote: @Franglaise - how frustrating! Hope you can get back to training soon.
Woohoo @mariondot40 that's a big day of walking!
@SianS I love walking with friends and family, somehow you have different types of conversations.
@Carieoates, how is your surge going? Loving it? It has the HRM, doesn't it?

Bloomin amazing thanks.
The notifications took a while to get used to as vibrating wrist when texted or called on mobile was a bit funny at first. But having had the flex with silent vibrating alarm did help. You can even read your texts on it. Waiting for a normal week to fortnight to see how it compares with regards to active mins. I haven't hit the top HR zone as yet though, im either not working hard enough in class or I'm super fit. Highes HR so far was 130Bpm. Ideal peak rate for me is 220 minus age so that's 174.
Answers on a post card please, :dazed:
I've been totally content with my Flex, but hearing you say txts and calls buzz on your arm - well now I'm thinking a Surge would be pretty nice... :grin:
KataMac wrote: I've been totally content with my Flex, but hearing you say txts and calls buzz on your arm - well now I'm thinking a Surge would be pretty nice... :grin:

The geeks in the office wholeheartedly approve. They are all waiting for the Apple watch, but I have quite a few converts....
Well, I'm officially starting my exercise program back up. I've decided to aim for 8k steps/day this week, 8500/day next week, 9k/day the week after etc until I'm at 11 or 12k a day. I've decided that rather than do fewer steps, I'll do lower intensity. I am not going to worry about "active minutes" until I get a bit healthier and build my endurance back up.

While the weather is miserable, I think I'll do mostly treadmill work while watching the Starz show "The White Queen" :-)
Well I'm joining you folks now. My Fitbit Flex arrived yesterday. Still learning, but seem to be getting the gist of it. I'm most interested in the sleep activity. I had a quietish work day, only 2 dog walks (16 dogs) plus walking mine at beach after work. 16500 steps. Be interested in a really busy day. 3+1 walks tomorrow
WOW @GMH, if that's your step count on a 'quiet day' would love to see how many you rack up on a busy one! Just checked my weekly Fitbit stats and my average step count was 14,723 but now my brother has gone home to Australia I'll find it really hard to maintain that level as walking by myself doesn't hold the same appeal.
GMH wrote: Well I'm joining you folks now. My Fitbit Flex arrived yesterday. Still learning, but seem to be getting the gist of it. I'm most interested in the sleep activity. I had a quietish work day, only 2 dog walks (16 dogs) plus walking mine at beach after work. 16500 steps. Be interested in a really busy day. 3+1 walks tomorrow

Pm me your email address and I will add you.
Well done @tracieknits, that sounds like an excellent plan.
I've been trying to keep up with my fitbit but spent one weekend mostly driving and therefore sitting on my backside... Only 2000 steps in a day ! Then on Sunday we had a fundraiser in our village and had a big breakfast, which meant helping with cooking over 50 fry ups ! I only ate one, honest ! Anyway, I still feel motivated and find it really helps. Good luck everyone.
@callyanna not really a quiet day, but not as busy as some where I have 3 walks, plus my own dogs. Looks like it will be about 5,000 steps per walk. gave my dogs the big round trip walk yesterday, but it was hot and humid and they were knackered as we went quite fast. Unfortunately Danny is still not fully recovered from his cruciate op last August and really struggles still, so we don't do a lot of big walks yet. my sleep didn't record last night, so maybe I didn't tap it correctly? I thought I saw the lights :-)
I found the sleep function very disappointing - it registers me as sleeping, when I am lying in bed wide awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Really annoying when I"m sleep deprived to be told I've had a good 8 hours sleep. So I never use it.
@KataMac yes I was wondering about accuracy. My friebd has a Charge and says everything us inaccurate. Tells her she has run 32km, when she's done nowhere near it. I guess u just have to use it as best u can
67 posts Page 2 of 5