The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

67 posts Page 4 of 5
Hurrah, @Franglaise, so glad we didn't lose you from the group! I'm sure that no-one worries about the number of steps that you clock up compared to the rest of us - we just cheer on your commitment! :smile: Hope that your race today goes well - even if not quite as fast as usual! :victory:
Welcome to our new Fitbit group members - you'll recognise me as the one always languishing at the bottom of the leader board! :frown:
Glad to see you back @Franglaise :grin: Injury is really frustrating, so hard to have to wait wait wait and heal, especially because it's difficult to know the right moment to get back into it. Too early, and you do more damage and have to wait even longer... but damn it's hard to wait.
wendyjane wrote: This should really start a conversation!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31167302

So I have worn a FitBit Surge and a Jawbone UP for two days now. Both are wrist bands. There is a 5% difference between the two in step count with the Jawbone saying I have done more than the FitBit. I guess it is more about the long term trend really but interesting experiment.
Glad to see you back, @Franglaise! I am also glad to hear you are feeling better.

I'm pleased to report my average step count for this week has exceeded my goal, slightly, and the day isn't over yet. :-)

Karen, 5% doesn't sound like a lot, until you realize that over a week that comes to 3500 steps if you do 10K a day!
Now that I think about it, if you're actually counting your calories and eating your calories, it's probably safer to go with the device that errs on the side of recording fewer steps, huh?
Everything is a bit quite on the forum in general! No idea what the leader board is like as I find the fitbit page slower and slower to load and the group page impossible (but I live in the countryside with pitiful broadband). Fortunately the iphone app works well, but there is no group link there. Anyway, I got my Great Wall of China badge today, whatever that signifies! Marathon in 4 weeks, so will probably be adding quite a few steps in the next month...unless my knee gives up again.
I hope everyone else is getting out and about OK. Spring is definitely in the air here in Northern France!
I was doing well as a newbie and then I got sick so have hardly moved for the last four days so I have alot to catch up on as I recover. I got a Redwood Forest Badge last week as I did 25 floors in one day as I was hiking around Lafayette Reservoir. So pleased with that.
It's going to be another nice weekend here so I'm hoping I feel well enough to go out and get some fresh air.
March is now heading our way. Good luck with your marathon Franglaise, nice to see you're getting around more karen. I plodding on doing what I'm IFing and seeing how many steps I'm getting and watching my HR with interest. The baffling thing is that my classes are supposed to give me a 5-700 cal burn. I'm only getting 260-300. Why...... I'm only getting a HR high of 130 so maybe it's time to find a new exercise, but I love the classes and my friends there.
Any ideas, thoughts greatly received.
Well I must say I do like my new toy :-) I have found the sleep function interesting even if a little inaccurate as I think @KataMac said you can be lying awake for 3 hours and it says u are sleeping. However just seeing my sleep hours has made me realise I am not getting as much sleep as I thought and definitely not enough, hence my constant sleepiness. I no longer do any non essential exercise (only work and walking my wee beasts) and I am doing around 100,000 steps a week, so pleased with that. It also is an incentive when work is quieter (when will that be lol) to keep moving. I find it's really interesting to see my intensity (or lack there of), during the day. Walking from car to train is full on :oops: and first dog walk of the day, if I'm tired I tend to slacken the pace off for walks 2 and 3. I walk my boys on the beach in the evening, intensity depends on Danny's sore paws, Humbug's time searching for food scraps in sand! And his hiding from big dogs (head shake), also meeting people and chatting. If we meet going out, we walk and chat, if one is heading back, we stand and chat. Then there are the no movement train sitting (I wonder if one shouldn't start wandering from carriage to carriage, however we may be locked up!), also I drive heaps picking up dogs, so short bursts of running in, grabbing dog, sitting driving, ditto.
I can't access our group for some reason, I think cos my device is only wedded to my laptop (Fonepad incompatible) and I joined group on my phone. I have searched help on Fitbit and lots of others have similar issue. Nevermind, I find my stats interesting.
@GMH. I don't see you on the group, so maybe we need @carieoates to invite you again, unless you are under another name. If you want to friend me, I'm Karen G.

As a newbie, I'm finding it all very motivational but had a setback this week with flu so my step count is virtually non existent.

I find the FitBit Surge virtually useless monitoring sleep. The Jawbone was much better as it seemed more sensitive to movement. Even though I average around 7 and a half hours sleep a night, I spend much of that time awake and the FitBit does not pick that up very well. So I have stopped wearing it at night.
@rawkaren, yeah my friend's husband bought her Charfe HR, she has dumped it cos it ws telling her she had run 32km, when she had done 5km, it counts steps while she is driving if she throws her arms about :-) my cheapie seems rather accurate, tho if I give up on sleep and read, I tap it on and off. I only bought it for the sleep and was amazed at how little I am getting. I can't even see the group, so have given up :-)
GMH wrote: @rawkaren, yeah my friend's husband bought her Charfe HR, she has dumped it cos it ws telling her she had run 32km, when she had done 5km, it counts steps while she is driving if she throws her arms about :-) my cheapie seems rather accurate, tho if I give up on sleep and read, I tap it on and off. I only bought it for the sleep and was amazed at how little I am getting. I can't even see the group, so have given up :-)

@GMH. Can you access? https://www.fitbit.com/group/22B49B
This page does not exist, has moved, or you do not have permission to view it.
My Flex has arrived! It's going to take a while to get to know it, but I'm already feeling motivated (or shamed!), and that is why I bought it! Yesterday I didn't set foot outside at all, not even to the garden (very unlike me) because it was torrential rain, and then I had a huge evening meal, so my first day looks bad! :lol:
I wouldn't worry @Golarne if you have the odd low count day, you can make it up a bit later and creep your way up the leaderboard, it's quite motivating. Last week I didn't feel well so Didnt do much exercise. I also did quite a lot of baking as it was half term and we ate cakes and buns all week. Yum. I'll get back on track this week as I'm feeling much better ! Glad you're back @Franglaise ,gives us somewhere to aim !
67 posts Page 4 of 5