The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

67 posts Page 3 of 5
I think my steps and distance are pretty accurate, I've cross checked with a few other devices - but I don't think active minutes are. I walk, never run, yet it has me up with the runners on active minutes on the leaderboard.
Not sure that there are many runners on the leader board now. I've deleted myself from the group as I felt runners were unwelcome as they had an advantage is the number of steps and would always top the leaderboard which was demotivating for others. I don't do 5:2 anymore (although still fast occationally) so it isn't logical to continue to be part of the group anymore. I'll stick with the runners thread in future.
This should really start a conversation!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31167302
Oh don't feel unwelcome Franglaise! I think having a diverse group of exercisers on the board is great. I've actually just switched from 5:2 to a daily fast - an eating window consisting of lunch and dinner - because 5:2 wasn't working for me anymore.
That was interesting to watch Wendyjane. I would love to see the full data, especially if it included things like which arm she wore them on (dominant vs non dominant). I've always thought that distance variances would happen because I assume they calculate it based on your height, and I take very different size steps when I'm bush walking compared to street walking. I know the GPS Garmin that my Dad wore and my Flex gave us very different distances when we were hiking, (with teh Garmin most likely being more accurate for that), but I've tested street walking against a distance measuring site (geodistance I think it's called?) and it came out relatively accurately.

More data! More tests! Can I be a guinea pig? I know I don't take my flex as 100% accurate, but more of a guide, and a good way to keep me moving more. And face it, I love a bit of data, so fling in a graph or two and I'm happy.
Franglaise wrote: Not sure that there are many runners on the leader board now. I've deleted myself from the group as I felt runners were unwelcome as they had an advantage is the number of steps and would always top the leaderboard which was demotivating for others. I don't do 5:2 anymore (although still fast occationally) so it isn't logical to continue to be part of the group anymore. I'll stick with the runners thread in future.

Oh dear @Franglaise, I'm not happy about that. Maybe you could start a new "runners group". By the way I got into the great north run. :victory:
Franglaise wrote: Not sure that there are many runners on the leader board now. I've deleted myself from the group as I felt runners were unwelcome as they had an advantage is the number of steps and would always top the leaderboard which was demotivating for others. I don't do 5:2 anymore (although still fast occationally) so it isn't logical to continue to be part of the group anymore. I'll stick with the runners thread in future.

For the same reasons as we maintaineers are supposed to stick around the forum - to motivate those who are still losing weight, I really think @Franglaise and other serious runners should also stick around this thread and the leaderboard. I do find you inspiring, actually!!
wendyjane wrote: I do find you inspiring, actually!!

I also find the runners inspiring. Very much so.
wendyjane wrote: This should really start a conversation!
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31167302

I have a fitbit One and my husband wears the flex. When we go on a walk together, I think we are for the most part, in step with each other. We are only about three inches apart height wise. Yet after a 1 mile walk, my fitbit One might say I took 400 more steps than my husband took. I wonder if the wrist ones are less accurate than the ones worn on the body, since the wrist ones have to take into account activities like typing or chopping vegetables or folding laundry and not count those activities as steps.

@Franglaise, I'm sorry to hear you feel unwelcome. I agree that having runners around is definitely inspirational!!
@wendyjane My old tracker is a jawbone. I will re-charge it and conduct my own one woman experiment and wear both for the same walk on the weekend. Will report back! We are due a mini heatwave here for the holiday weekend so plenty of walking opportunities.
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and the fitbit post caught my eye. I have a new fitbit and would love to have some friends!

My name is Free002015 on it, if anyone minds me connecting with them :)
Hello free @freeand welcome from me.
We have a closed invite only group on the fitbit site. If you could pm me your email address I will add you.
So are you a walker, runner, dog walker, gym bunny or just keeping an eye on your step count?
Hi All
I'm new to this site , but being someone who loves her fitbit and has now decided to try out the 5:2 (first week this week), I thought I would add my bit. I love walking but tend to be more of a fairweather walker. However, Bruno our chocolate Labrador needs his walk so if my husband is working that job falls to me regardless of the weather. There are some great results on here - I'm happy if I achieve 8k - however, sitting in an office all day is my excuse!
Fingers crossed it is not raining tomorrow and perhaps Bruno and I can get in some extra steps!
Hi @Rigi and @Free
My yellow lab is definitely a huge incentive for walking in shit weather - she just gives me that "but I haven't had my morning/evening walk yet!" and off we go, rain, wind or sun. Although I do live in a warm climate, with summer rain (which is much nicer to walk in) and a short, brisk winter. I'm sure if I lived somewhere with more intense winters I would stare her down and drink tea instead.
:shame: I've asked @carieoates if she'd be kind enough to re-add me to the group. I'm sorry about my comments regarding the runners on this thread...I think I was having a bad week with my tendonitis injury and not being able to run for 10 days in the crucial marathon training period.
My dogs were very happy though, I think most days they had 10kms of walking because I was paranoid about losing too much fitness.
Feeling a lot better now and doing a 10k race tomorrow (though not at usual pace).
Big welcome to all new members, whether you are runners, walkers or gym bunnies!
67 posts Page 3 of 5