The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

53 posts Page 2 of 4
carieoates wrote:
SkinnyJeans wrote: I did my first dog walk following recent knee surgery, only 15 minutes but it was wonderful, blowing a gale and wet but I was just thrilled to be mobile again. Hopefully not too long before I can be hiking over the South downs each morning once again :grin: and I think I will treat myself to a fitbit

Yes the flex is on offer at Tesco direct £50 go for it.
I'm waiting for the force HR for my birthday next month.

Is the flex the best one to start with? I'm a walker not a runner and want to use it with an app like myfitnesspal.
@wendyjane I feel awful now, I don't know what extremes of temperature are and I'm sure I'd find it difficult to go out in -40°C! I think I might even invest in a treadmill if I lived in Colorado :oops:
Where I live in N France it is never Very Hot or Very Cold so no excuses not to brave the elements!
Oh, don't feel bad, Franglaise! Here we are very proud of our supposed 300+ days of sunshine a year. I seldom have the extreme weather excuse. When it is extreme, I feel no guilt at not going out (though I really should be able to get as far as the rec center, a mile away!). When it's just cold and gray, I do need that kick in the pants to not hang around making excuses for myself. :smile:
Oh, and I think you read "-40" where I wrote "-4C". Our coldest daytime temps are about -20 C, and that's rare.
I had -35 with wind chill yesterday in upstate New York, although actual temps were around -5F/-20c. It hurts your face to go out in that! But the sun was also shining all day and our solar panels generated 17KW (more than we use on an average day, and about the same energy produced as a lovely late spring day).

I love my fitbit One @KarenM and I hope you love yours too. I have some yoga pants from Lands End - the Starfish pants, that have a perfect little zipped pocket in the waistband. http://www.landsend.com/products/womens ... /id_219545
SkinnyJeans wrote:
carieoates wrote:
SkinnyJeans wrote: I did my first dog walk following recent knee surgery, only 15 minutes but it was wonderful, blowing a gale and wet but I was just thrilled to be mobile again. Hopefully not too long before I can be hiking over the South downs each morning once again :grin: and I think I will treat myself to a fitbit

Yes the flex is on offer at Tesco direct £50 go for it.
I'm waiting for the force HR for my birthday next month.

Is the flex the best one to start with? I'm a walker not a runner and want to use it with an app like myfitnesspal.

The flex is great, in fact all fitbits are great. We usually move on and upgrade if we get hooked anyway. I'm waiting for the new HR to be released. Had a one, and a flex . But prefer to see my steps on the device and not to have to look at my app. And the flex just shows the %age of goal steps taken with lights.
Thanks Caroline, I think I will go with the flex.
Hello all, I'm still just about maintaining but at the top of my self inflicted allowance ! I still have my fitbit zip and like that it can give me my steps, distance and calories on the device. Like @carieoats I like to see my steps on the device itself. I don't take any notice of the calories so have no idea whether it is accurate in that respect. I have to say that I think the fitbit has made the biggest difference to weight maintenance, as it is so easy to see when your activity or steps are a bit lower than you'd like, so you can react. Since last spring I have worn a path round my garden from speed walking laps done when I dont have time to go out for a "proper" walk ! Also, the fitbit leaderboard helps egg me on ... Keep it up everyone :oops:
@Franglaise, I also enjoy going out in the crappy weather - best bit about having a dog who demands two walks a day is even if I look outside at the rain and think I might have a cuppa instead, she gives me those big eyes and I put on a raincoat and off we go. And I always enjoy it once I'm out there. Massive disclaimer: I live in Queensland, where it rarely goes below zero, and most of our rain is in summer. So generally it's either raining and warm or a freezing cold wind, but not wet. Light raincoat in summer or massive warm jacket in winter generally does the trick. I really admire anyone who goes out in the "proper cold" like Northern Europe or North America.
I've just ordered the fitbit Surge. Yippee. Have also sold my flex plus the pack of additional straps I have.
Did you mean the Surge @carieoates? that's the mahoooosive one isn't it?
SianS wrote: Did you mean the Surge @carieoates? that's the mahoooosive one isn't it?
yes it is and im so excited I could burst.
The caller ID, text notifications heart rate monitor, watch, step counter. I use my flex to wake me up anyway, it's so gentle.
We shall see.
My husband (aka he who looses Fitbits) is going to order the Charge HR he had signed up for email alerts but hadn't heard anything, so your post was very timely :smile:
I was going to go for that one but got seduced.
Yes I was dissapointed with the lack of email too, I will do a review of it when I get it.
I hope hubby doesn't lose it as he may have lost his wrist if he does!!!
Weljel @carieoates, you'll have to tell us how it compares to the flex! I earned my 'Italy badge' yesterday, apparently I have put in enough steps to walk the length of Italy, 736 miles! :victory:
Wow, @callyanna, that's a very long way :shock: and here was I really pleased the other day because I had done sixty miles, according to my Nike app. According to my Flex, I have done 393 miles, so I think I may have miscalculated my step length! (The Nike app uses GPS to work out distance) Oh no, I have just realised that the Flex measures all the time, whereas the Nike app only measures when you tell it to! Doh! :doh: Perhaps the distance travelled is somewhere in between! :smile:
53 posts Page 2 of 4