The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

53 posts Page 1 of 4
FITBIT CHAT for January 2015
03 Jan 2015, 14:12
Happy new year everyone.
I haven't dared look at the leaderboard yet as I've been very very sedentary over Christmas.
But.... All will be back to normal next week with classes and work back to normal.
My news is that I've entered the great north run ballot , so training will start so they it's not my first half marathon. My BIL is doing it with me if he gets through aswell.

Any new fitbits received form Santa?
I've spotted Fitbits on the wrists of loads of friends post xmas :grin: think they were a very popular gift here in Australia.
Yay for having a good goal for your running.
Fitbits are really taking off in France too.
I ran a lot over Christmas (did 80kms in one week) because I could. Training for my marathon in March so I need a lot of kms under the belt.
Good luck with the draw for the GNR @carieoates. Will you be able to do any 10k races before?
Congratulations to all you runners out there, clocking up all those steps on your Fitbits! Are you just trying to make we walkers envious!
My good news is that since my last holiday visitors left on Friday, I have been for a walk every day! I am still only aiming for 7500 steps per day but goals are supposed to be attainable and I know that if I was aiming for 10,000, I just would feel defeated before I even got out of the door! Perhaps, in time, I will do more but even if I don't, I am still getting much more exercise than I have done in the last ten years - since I retired. That's got to be worth something, surely! :?:
My step count has been low for weeks now. Mostly I blame the weather. It just keeps snowing and being frigid and I'm not gungho enough... I want to join the rec center (a great deal now that I'm a "senior" of 60) but just getting in the door and onto a treadmill in January - yuck. But I suppose I must join the throngs.
After a slow start to the month, I'm glad to be back in the top 10, but the forecast for the rest of the week looks very wet so I'm likely to slide back down again *sigh*
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why does the bad weather put you off going outside and doing exercise? I can understand if there is a lot of snow and ice and it is dangerous, but its actually quite nice going out in wind/rain/cold conditions and coming back to have a nice hot shower. You soon get warmed up if you move fast enough and there is a lot of waterproof outdoor gear available it it is really wet. The feel good endorphins are even better when I go out in bad weather...but maybe I'm just odd.
I did my first dog walk following recent knee surgery, only 15 minutes but it was wonderful, blowing a gale and wet but I was just thrilled to be mobile again. Hopefully not too long before I can be hiking over the South downs each morning once again :grin: and I think I will treat myself to a fitbit
SkinnyJeans wrote: I did my first dog walk following recent knee surgery, only 15 minutes but it was wonderful, blowing a gale and wet but I was just thrilled to be mobile again. Hopefully not too long before I can be hiking over the South downs each morning once again :grin: and I think I will treat myself to a fitbit

Yes the flex is on offer at Tesco direct £50 go for it.
I'm waiting for the force HR for my birthday next month.
I just saw this post. My husband's company offers a discount on our heath insurance if we each wear a fit it and let them track our steps. So I just received my first fit bit and must hit 10000 steps every to recieve the full discount. So far so good- this is my 3rd day
I've just been told my Fitbit has arrived, but as its a birthday present I'll not be getting it until the 18th!
I won't be using it for running though, just for walking and step counting. I got the Fitbit one as I don't like plastic bands on my wrist.
Has anyone got a one? Is it as good as I've been told?
Kx
@Franglaise I think it boils down to me being a bit of a wimp. I don't mind if it starts raining while I'm out (as long as I'm wearing suitable clothing) but I don't like starting out in the rain.
It's -35 with the wind chill today. I'm not going anywhere!

My steps have been low. I'm planning on getting more serious about my fitbit when my thyroid calms down after my procedure. IT's been a mess all autumn :-(
Franglaise wrote: I know this is probably a stupid question, but why does the bad weather put you off going outside and doing exercise? I can understand if there is a lot of snow and ice and it is dangerous, but its actually quite nice going out in wind/rain/cold conditions and coming back to have a nice hot shower. You soon get warmed up if you move fast enough and there is a lot of waterproof outdoor gear available it it is really wet. The feel good endorphins are even better when I go out in bad weather...but maybe I'm just odd.

If you are odd, @Franglaise, it's a good sort of odd. I do need to "man up" (okay, sorry, ridiculous expression common around here) and go out more in the cold. Unfortunately there has been a lot of snow and ice, but that shouldn't prevent a walk. And there has been a fair amount of really cold weather lately. Once it's below about 25F (-4C) I have no desire to be out in it at all. Thanks for the kick in the pants :smile: :smile:
Karenm wrote: I've just been told my Fitbit has arrived, but as its a birthday present I'll not be getting it until the 18th!
I won't be using it for running though, just for walking and step counting. I got the Fitbit one as I don't like plastic bands on my wrist.
Has anyone got a one? Is it as good as I've been told?
Kx

I started with a one. I loved it.
When you're all set up send me your email add and I can add you to our private 5.2 group leaderboard. Don't bother searching for us as it's an invite only group,
53 posts Page 1 of 4