The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

57 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: FITBIT Chat for May.
15 May 2014, 06:03
I think we are all too busy racking up our steps Katamac.

I'm just plodding away getting hot and sweaty as the temperature increases around these parts.
15 May 2014, 06:45
I'm here, training a lot for another half marathon the weekend after next. Either in the morning or evening mainly as it's too hot to run early in the afternoon!
15 May 2014, 07:26
I would really like a fitbit. Just my cup of tea. I looked at them at Christmas. Was going to get one each but didn't because I thought I saw there was a new one about to be launched. I know you all have your preferences but please could you tell me what the difference is in them and help me decide which to get. Thanks x
15 May 2014, 07:29
I just got back from a very active vacation (translation: holiday). It was so fun, and for a bonus, I'm now in the top ten. We rented bikes, and walked, and swam in the ocean. I'm a bit sad to be home again...

@Wendy Darling, I have a One, and love it. It's small and fits in my pocket or clips on my bra. I prefer that to something on my wrist all the time.
15 May 2014, 19:12
@Wendy Darling I also have a one and love it for the same reason as wendyjane. I've misplaced it once - left in a pocket and couldn't figure out where it was. And I remember it first thing in the morning as well, maybe a few minutes into my day. It's a lot of fun and watching the leaderboard is great as well.
15 May 2014, 19:26
Ok, thank you ladies. I will have a look x
16 May 2014, 11:25
I have the flex, so that's the one that just lives on your wrist, so you don't lose it or forget to clip it on. It vibrates delightfully when you hit your daily target, which I still love after 7 months of owning it.
16 May 2014, 12:23
Ok, going to get a fitbit flex!
16 May 2014, 12:49
I have a flex and the new packs of wristbands means I can have a different colour for 4 days.
16 May 2014, 22:33
Oh I'm a sucker for little extras like that Carieoates!

I've just started studying massage (doing a diploma in remedial/sports massage - so excited!) and *horror* I'll have to take my flex off to massage! I am so used to wearing it 24/7 that I'll feel naked without it on.
17 May 2014, 01:03
Still trying to figure out how it knows how much energy, steps you have expended in a day!
17 May 2014, 02:03
I think the energy is calculated from number steps and possibly how quickly you did them (the activity calculator). I know it does steps using an accelerometer (which is different to how a standard/older fashioned pedometer does it) - but I really don't know what that actually means!

The flex seems to give me a higher activity score now compared to when I first got it. There seemed to be a definite jump, so I suspect it's something to do with the calculations rather than me walking more quickly (because I'm pretty sure I still walk the same pace - it's quick, but plenty of dog sniffing tree/bush/gross smelling things stops.)

Also I have to admit, I don't look at the calories burned thing at all. I don't count calories ever, so it doesn't interest me. I look at steps and distance - and even distance probably isn't hugely accurate.
17 May 2014, 02:05
Just a quick one, why did people chose this rather than the Nike or Jawbone? Did it come down to price?
17 May 2014, 02:24
I chose it because of this thread and this community :smile:
17 May 2014, 02:26
And that is as good a reason as any!!!
57 posts Page 2 of 4