The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

57 posts Page 4 of 4
Re: FITBIT Chat for May.
21 May 2014, 02:26
Hi SarahG. I don't really look at the walking I do as exercise either. It's just what I do. The pedometer is more to keep me active (ie not sitting on my bum). That said, it's amazing what a motivator it is. I thought novelty would wear off, but I've had it for about 7 months now I think, and I still tune into it. I don't use the sleep feature, but to turn it on, you give lots of little taps (when I sift flour, it does it by mistake) and you turn it off the same way. I found it measured sleep purely based on movement (I don't know if I expected magic or something lol) so if you lie still but awake in bed for a few hours, it tracks it as sleep. And the only thing worse than having a 3 or 4 hour lying awake in the middle of the night session is having your pedometer tell you you've had a good 8 hours sleep when you haven't! You can also add activities - so your yoga - but I've never bothered with that either, because I don't look at the calorie thing (never count them, so why bother?) so not sure how - probably through the dashboard on teh computer?

So basically, all these features, and it turns out all I need is a steps with a little buzz to tell me I've reached my goal for the day. Aren't I easily pleased? lol
21 May 2014, 03:41
Think I will have to study this thing
Not sure what the tracker programme is
And not sure how to track my sleep
Very new age for me
23 May 2014, 21:41
My steps will probably drop down down down, about to head off on holiday, and suspect I'll be swimming, surfing and supping rather than walking. So enjoy the rest of May, and I'll see you in June :D
23 May 2014, 21:51
I am so excited--first 20,000 step day yesterday!!! It helped, I guess that I took 2 walks, danced my way through 2 zumba classes, and finished up by tapping my way all around the tile parts of my house for a half hour until I made it over the finish line. I didn't measure my sleep, but I didn't have to! :lol:
24 May 2014, 01:32
@GoLinda I tried to PM you, but just in case I did it wrong, checking in to see how you are doing. If you need to vent, have questions (I broke my leg near the ankle 2 years ago), just drop me a line. Hope all is well and getting better quickly. :clover: :clover: :clover:
24 May 2014, 08:41
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but have had a Fitbit for over a year now. I had an Ultra to start but won a One (easier to type than say out loud) a month ago and have loved the upgrade.
It really does motivate me to move more. I normally do well towards a 10k goal on term days as the school run does most of the work, next week is a half term here so I'm going to try not to let my numbers drop too much.
26 May 2014, 08:23
Hi all, I have bought myself a fitbit zip this month and have found it to be great. It's like a person waiting to nag me to move about so I can reach my daily target. I have enjoyed reading your experiences on here, but am a bit confused by the leaderboard comments.... How do I join in please ? I need the incentive to keep moving and think the leader board might help. Depends if there are lots of super fit people on there I suppose, I am definitely not sporty ! Thanks in advance !
26 May 2014, 21:03
Hi @mrstee. The group leaderboard is on the FitBit site. It is a competitive bunch so you do need to look at it as "big picture". The daily runners hang out at the top, the daily long walkers next, and those just keeping track of their steps follow along. If you want to join, you can PM me (with your email address) or any one else who indicates they are part of the group and we can send you an invite from the FitBit site.

Beware, it is addictive!
27 May 2014, 07:30
GoLinda wrote: Beware, it is addictive!

It is, and very good motivation to keep up with the steps. Just because you aren't sporty it doesn't mean that you can't achieve your 10,000 steps a day or whatever your target is.
27 May 2014, 11:21
Yes, yes! Welcome! Even if you're not sporty, you can work your way up to 10K steps a day. They recommend adding 500 steps to your daily goal each week until you get up to 10K

Of course I haven't been making my goal the last few days because of a nasty sinus infection, but I'm starting to feel better today :-)

I need to be doing more hills. I wish there was a leaderboard for stairs climbed. I could use the motivation. I go back to France in August, and Paris has so many stairs and hills! That day trip in March saw me do 43 flights of stairs between just about 9am and 6pm!
27 May 2014, 16:26
Yay, I've joined the group "5:2 fit bitters". Now I need to work my way up the leader board... And today I've done the least walking in weeks .... Gotta get to at least 10,000 !
My aim is to go up 1 place on the leader board, so I only need more than 8000 steps more than the person above me... and its nearly the end of May.. fat chance !
Anyway, you're right I think it might be addictive.
27 May 2014, 20:24
It is good to have targets! 10000 steps a day is good. I heard a report for France recently that said even sporty people only averaged 7000 steps a day, non sporty 4000. I only do the steps I do because I run a lot. 10,000 steps a day is more than respectable to maintain fitness.
57 posts Page 4 of 4