The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 27 of 98
Previous 1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
14 Sep 2013, 13:12
I ran today for the first time since I broke my arm. Only 20 minutes at a slow pace but you have to start somewhere.
14 Sep 2013, 13:15
SianS wrote: *Mutter, grumble*
Well it was a lovely morning, I had resisted all but a couple of small glasses of wine last night, all the tech worked, but my leg (hamstring) made me pull up after about 20 strides :cry:

Hi Sian, do you mind if I ask what stretches you do after a run, and for how long?
14 Sep 2013, 14:11
Hi windy,
I stretch my calves/achilles, hamstring and front thighs for about 30 sec each, and another stretch for a muscle I can't remember the name of that involves crossing one leg over another (the leader of the running group I go to showed me). The hamstring problem happened 2 days before that quote, when I was about 4km in and nicely warmed up. I thought it was OK enough on the Saturday to try it, but it wasn't.
This is the first injury I've had since I started running in April, and after a few physio sessions, which included acupuncture I ran again for the first time yesterday... and did lots of stretching.
@MaryAnn great news, you must be glad to get back to it
14 Sep 2013, 14:32
At least you are back jogging again - should not be long before tackling parkrun again!
I managed 23:40 by my watch today, a bit quicker than last week but a totally different profile, a quickish 2 miles then a plod for the last mile. Felt surprisingly good considering I am only running on Saturdays now - but I did have 3 bike sessions of 15, 21 and 9 miles and tried hard on the hills. Very stiff now, just walked to town and back (2 miles total) at a very slow pace. Ibuprofen here I come...

Anybody else get out today?
14 Sep 2013, 14:50
Well, yes, but in a very low key way - I have just started couch to 5k and am still doing podcast no. 1. I still walk most of it and when I do break into a "run" it's more of a slow motion jog. Didn't think I would find it quite this hard, but as I have not exercised for years, apart from walking, maybe it's not too surprising. :?: Will hopefully keep at it and make some progress.
14 Sep 2013, 15:03
dhana, stick with it, loads of people have found it a great program, I read an expression the other day for slow jogging, the author described his style as a "turbo-shuffle" :clover:
14 Sep 2013, 15:17
Got fed up waiting so I shall 'out' Simon Egan - new pb at Heaton parkrun of 25:13 - a fantastic improvement on his first run and probably an indication that there is much more to come!

Well done Simon... Anyone else?
14 Sep 2013, 15:26
Well done Simon - don't be shy, come on here and brag a bit :smile:
14 Sep 2013, 17:52
Gosh, you knew my official result before I did. :)

I had a good run today following on from my first run a few weeks ago. I quickly realised that I had forgotten how to run downhill properly as I had been training on a treadmill for ages and, I am aware that I have still got the brakes on a little bit even now!

Really pleased with my time and improvement and my first target is to get under 25 minutes. I have another run scheduled in a few weeks. Loved the event and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thank you for you support and comments it is very much appreciated.
15 Sep 2013, 16:41
Did any of you catch the Great North Run finish on TV? Fantastic!
15 Sep 2013, 19:16
Not seen the finish but I believe Mo ran 13.1 miles in 1 hour and 10 seconds and came second! Amazing.
16 Sep 2013, 04:27
Hi Sian, sorry to hear about your hamstring. I had a bad pull as a teenager. That was the end of me and sprinting. Once it healed, it didn't trouble me with longer distances...
16 Sep 2013, 05:14
Yes Pete. What an ending. Not seen anything as close as that for a long time.

Couldn't help but to shout at the TV for Mo. So close!!!!!

PS. Love reading this thread and seeing how well you are all doing. I wish there was a park run nearer to where I live. Might encourage me to get out running more! ..... Just manage the odd Sunday run. Not very fast and only manage about 2 miles, but I do enjoy it. Love running down country lanes and on the beach.

Lesley
16 Sep 2013, 12:17
There is a parkrun in Doncaster lesley54. Not sure if it is close enough to you.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/doncaster/
16 Sep 2013, 12:39
Hi Dhana. The nhs c25k is a really good programme and there's a good website community for it too. I did c25k this time last year and am still running, although not much through July and August as I really don't do exercise and heat at the same time. If you are finding the running part a challenge why not do a couple of sessions where you walk faster when Laura tells you to run? It is possible to run more slowly than you can walk though, I do it all the time, call it my juffle pace. :smile:

:clover:
Previous 1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 27 of 98