The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 29 of 98
Previous 1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
21 Sep 2013, 16:42
lassemista wrote: Wow - Chickvic, you have lost a massive amount - very well done.
To me treadmills are all very well when there is no alternative, but there is so much more to look at running outside. I was watching a kestrel at one point, and the sunrise in the mornings is magical. OH said there were plenty of people older and fatter than me, but then he knows I am thickskinned.

Thank you :smile: I am determined to get outside but I want to find some decent gear to keep all the wobbles in when jogging :oops: :oops: :oops:
21 Sep 2013, 16:45
I will be in the same category, Sian - I am astonished how fast some are going, I won't worry them! (I doubt if I will see them after the start :smile: )
21 Sep 2013, 16:47
CV - I sooo know what you mean!
21 Sep 2013, 17:08
I'm a newbie runner, can I join in?

There is no park runs close to me, so I do my own one in my local park. Try to go a little bit longer every time and it seems to be working.
I try and do it 2-4 times a week. I started with a little bit less than 5k, and now I'm aiming toward 6k. Slowly getting there.

I have to be really careful and go quite slowly, due to a leg injury. I felt better last week and tried to speed up, with a terrible leg pain the rest of the day as a result. I try and run smoothly with as little inpact on the foot as possible. I probably look funny but I don't care.

For me, running is not supposed to be about times and running fast and achieve things. To me, it's an achievement in itself to actually get out of the house. My aim is to be able to run longer and longer without feeling like I want to die :)
If I sustain this through the winter I might do a 10k in the spring. Slowly... :)

I also do some basic stregth training on my living room floor, and horse riding 3-4 times a week. And a lot of dancing at rock clubs :) (no drinking though - my belly and brain can't take it!)
21 Sep 2013, 17:38
Yes, of course - welcome!
21 Sep 2013, 21:22
Good for you - to do what is good for your own issues. Very much in keeping with the flexibility of 5:2.
22 Sep 2013, 10:17
CreakyPete wrote: Just hope that Simon has not improved in another huge bound!

I won't be doing another Parkrun until early October Pete. Sorry to hear about your OH. It's a really difficult injury to get sorted.

It looks like there were some good time recorded this weekend. Brilliant.

I have done a nice gentle training run today and am feeling good about my training.
22 Sep 2013, 17:18
In my opinion, running is running, doesn't matter if it is fast or slow, inside or outside. It was never about speed for me ...till it was!
CV a good bra, lycra bottoms and a baggy tee shirt are about all you need to keep the wobbly bits either in order.
Hi fasterstronger, I am not a "joining" sort of person, but I enjoy running as part of a group, are there any running groups or clubs you could join in with?
23 Sep 2013, 06:23
A couple of questions from a newbie runner..
1. I use a treadmill and was wondering What speed should I be running and walking on interval training. (Couch to 5k)?
2. Is there an app tracks treadmill running? it's not on MFP. I have a GPS tracker but it doesn't? fitbit does show steps.
23 Sep 2013, 07:01
Yeah, 30.05 was OK - bit annoyed that I didnt push just that bit harder in the final stretch to knock off that pesky 5 seconds, but objective achieved! And I have signed up for an 8 mile cross country run on my actual birthday next month. It's in a beautiful seaside part of the world, so if the weather stays dry it should be a great experience.

I use MapMyRun. You can turn the voice off. It tells me I've run 324 miles so far this year - one of my 2013 challenegs was to average a mile a day, so only 40 to go! You can use it on the treadmill as well as outside - just select "activity - run, treadmill".

Carie, try different speeds and see what you can do. If you think of our 30 minute 5ks, then that's 10 kph (roughly 6 mph). So that's fast - start with something a bit slower. 4mph is a VERY brisk walk for me.
23 Sep 2013, 07:07
Thanks everyone for welcoming me! Today I did a 7.2km, which is the longest I've ever run! I think it took me about 50min, so not too bad.

If I manage to keep this up for a bit, I will buy some proper running bottoms as a present for myself. Preferably in a ridicolous colour so they make me smile... :)
23 Sep 2013, 07:31
I used my old rainbow striped Lycra climbing bottoms to do my 100th parkrun, just so that people noticed - featured well in the run report, they are very bright!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/9176862613_9445fb1955.jpg

might work as a link to a picture of them in action...
23 Sep 2013, 14:08
CreakyPete wrote: I used my old rainbow striped Lycra climbing bottoms to do my 100th parkrun, just so that people noticed - featured well in the run report, they are very bright!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/9176862613_9445fb1955.jpg

might work as a link to a picture of them in action...

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :lol: :lol: Wow Pete! very noticable! :like: :cool:
23 Sep 2013, 14:58
Ha ha ha. Maybe we should adopt them as the 5:2 parkrunners' uniform. :grin:
At least we would easily recognise each other.
23 Sep 2013, 15:16
Pete - words fail me.....
Previous 1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 29 of 98