The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 30 of 98
Previous 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
23 Sep 2013, 16:03
Melanie Cheeks wrote: Yeah, 30.05 was OK - bit annoyed that I didnt push just that bit harder in the final stretch to knock off that pesky 5 seconds, but objective achieved! And I have signed up for an 8 mile cross country run on my actual birthday next month. It's in a beautiful seaside part of the world, so if the weather stays dry it should be a great experience.

I use MapMyRun. You can turn the voice off. It tells me I've run 324 miles so far this year - one of my 2013 challenegs was to average a mile a day, so only 40 to go! You can use it on the treadmill as well as outside - just select "activity - run, treadmill".

Carie, try different speeds and see what you can do. If you think of our 30 minute 5ks, then that's 10 kph (roughly 6 mph). So that's fast - start with something a bit slower. 4mph is a VERY brisk walk for me.

Thanks for the info. I think I've been walking 6k/h and jogging 7.6 k/h. I haven't the foggiest what that equates to in mph. Will go and google it. I have now installed mapmyrun. And run keeper.
23 Sep 2013, 16:18
Hello,

I'm new on the forum, and i'm too a runner. I run 2 or 3 times a week when it's possible. Moreover i follow the 5:2 fast diet.

Sorry for my english but i'm from Belgium :-)

Bye :-)
23 Sep 2013, 17:12
Don't know how I have missed this thread before but so glad I just discovered it and just the sight of those rainbow trousers made me get my trainers on and go out for a run/walk!
I used to run (slowly) and completed a marathon in 2008 at 5hrs30mins. I HATED long distance running though and have attempted many times to start shorter, faster runs. A month ago I got myself fantastic new trainers from a proper running shop and have done maybe 3-4 30 min run/walk sessions.
Have just looked at Parkrun and its very close. The next one I could make is the 12th October and hoping if I register then it will inspire me to make the above happen every couple of days and build up some fitness!!
Thanks for all the informative posting! Will let you know how I get on xxx
23 Sep 2013, 17:59
Glad to be of assistance (and a source of amusement!)...

Welcome to all the newbies!
23 Sep 2013, 19:16
CreakyPete wrote: I used my old rainbow striped Lycra climbing bottoms to do my 100th parkrun, just so that people noticed - featured well in the run report, they are very bright!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/9176862613_9445fb1955.jpg

might work as a link to a picture of them in action...

I WANT THESE!!!! :heart: Brilliant!
23 Sep 2013, 20:27
Hello,
It's been a while! Can't remember the last time I posted but I haven't run since July due to work (too busy), summer (too hot) and then being on holiday (too lazy). I didn't complete the C25K when I stopped but I'm back to it now. I wasn't sure where to start from but I'm finding a joy in knowing myself and my body. Essentially I started at the beginning of the week 5 stage with the five min runs and I think that was the best decision. I could do it with relative ease!

Getting less weighty due to the diet and then the subsequent energy and then desire to exercise has just changed me radically. While I was on holiday I did a lot of city walking. I like cities and going round galleries and museums and things but it used to wipe me out quite quickly. Before my weight loss I used to get tired and my feet used to ache horribly. But this time I felt fine and had more energy than my companions. I think this most certainly must be due to both losing weight and the running. I'm glad to be back to it now.

This morning I completed week 5 including the 20 min run and I've felt good all day. Feeling pleasently achey now, which is a good sign. All in all I'm feeling smug.

My plan now is to try to complete the last 3-4 weeks of C25K and then start the Park Run.

I hope everyone here is well. I spotted someone saying about the importance of a good bra. I can vouch for that. Bought a new one in the summer... the difference in comfort is quite astonishing. No more constant strap adjustment!
25 Sep 2013, 14:37
Maybe we should all try and get together at a Parkrun at some time in the future. We could have a slap-up meal afterwards to celebrate. :grin:
25 Sep 2013, 15:02
@Creakypete, you bobbydazzler you! That pic really cheered me up, you could be seen coming, that's for sure! My navy blue lycra looks even duller now..
25 Sep 2013, 15:56
Simon,

Great idea you and Pete would just about have time to pay for the breakfast while Melanie and I finish our run :razz:
27 Sep 2013, 08:20
Sunglasses needed! I don't think I want to be that noticable - in fact I was musing this morning about wearing a paper bag on my head.
Good luck to all parkrunners tomorrow(especially first timers like me).
Andrea.
27 Sep 2013, 14:44
Oh my Life...have had to go and buy a new sports bra. My boobs aren't big but good grief they're not used to jogging. Had to run holding them last night. Thank god I was in my garage and no one could see me.
27 Sep 2013, 18:17
Just started week 8 and a 28 min run done :grin: I wouldn't dream of not wearing a sports bra - I'd knock myself out :oops: and probably anyone in the close vicinity! Have even found some lycra in Asda so can look like an overstuffed sausage when I jog :lol: daughter has already threatened to leave home if I wear them.
27 Sep 2013, 19:43
Too Much Info alert

I went for a run yesterday lunchtime, ( too late in the day, too hot, in the second day of a 2 day fast) and my bra strap pinged loose at the back. I had no option but to pull my top up and undo my bra to do it back up- luckily it was in the wooded section. So memo to self - double knot shoes and check bra before setting off. :oops:
27 Sep 2013, 19:47
ChickVic, it is a parent's job to embarrass their children.

lassemista, have a great time tomorrow, let us know you get on. :clover:
28 Sep 2013, 08:54
Woohoo. Haven't run since the beginning of the summer hols so about 8 weeks and wasn't running very regularly before that. A friend has just started C25K and reading her posts inspired me to get up off my arse and get on with it. This morning I did 5k slowly but I was so pleased as I thought my fitness would have tailed off so much I would have to start the programme again. Now I just need to work on speed. :)
Previous 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 30 of 98