The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

1467 posts Page 8 of 98
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 98 Next
Re: Are there any runners here?
15 Apr 2013, 13:26
itadakimasu wrote: I got into running recently. I started a couple of years ago just running on my own then I discovered something called PARKRUN. Parkrun in the UK is a timed run over a distance of 5k ( 3.1 miles) It starts at 09:00 every Saturday morning. To join all you need to do is visit the website http://www.parkrun.org.uk

print the barcode and take it along to your local parkrun at 09:00 on a Saturday morning and just join in.

At the end of the run you get given a token that corresponds to your position in the run and hand it in with your barcode.

They then publish your time on their results page and they send you a text and/or Email.

I think it's great and you can measure any improvement against your personal best.

I wish that we had the Parkrun in the States! What a great way to see improvements11
15 Apr 2013, 13:33
Melanie Cheeks wrote: I saw a fabulous motivational picture on Facebook this week, which said something like:

In a race, don't worry about beating the other runners. The only battle you have to win is with the voice in your head, which says you can't do it.

So I was giving a lot of "you can do this" under my breath.

Wise quote indeed! At one point in the Chicago Marathon (mile 24, I believe) the time board had already been shut off. I thought that I had passed the time that is considered an official finish but it must have been just that one. There are many head games that go on in the long runs. You CAN do it, Melanie!!
15 Apr 2013, 13:40
Melanie Cheeks wrote: Today's a fast day, and I managed 30 mins on teh treadmill without any ill effects.

I'm not that keen a runner! My main exercise is dancing (I do Scottish Country Dancing at least once a week, and am on the demo team), and walking the dogs. I like yoga, but don't do it regularly. I used to really enjoy the Les Mills type classes at the gym, but I gave up my membership last year when I wasn't going often enough to make it financially worthwhile.

"Not that keen"? Those are some great times! I hope to do as well as you and some of the other runners posting on this thread!!
15 Apr 2013, 13:43
CatWoman28,

You do have Parkrun in the USA.

http://www.parkrun.us/livonia/ and http://www.parkrun.us/clermontwaterfront/ so one in Michigan and one in Florida. These are fairly recently formed, in fact the Florida one starts next week on 27th, but I'm sure once word gets out Parkrun will be as popular in the States as it is here.
15 Apr 2013, 13:47
CreakyPete wrote: Hi Mark, have you read Peter Attia's blog about athletic performances on a ketotic diet? He avoids carbs to stay in fat-burning mode and can apparently ride his bike hard for hours without extra energy (gels etc) just water.

Is this blog within this forum? I am highly interested; the last run I did the gels caused my GI upset that I would LOVE to avoid on my next marathon!
15 Apr 2013, 13:51
itadakimasu wrote: CatWoman28,

You do have Parkrun in the USA.

http://www.parkrun.us/livonia/ and http://www.parkrun.us/clermontwaterfront/ so one in Michigan and one in Florida. These are fairly recently formed, in fact the Florida one starts next week on 27th, but I'm sure once word gets out Parkrun will be as popular in the States as it is here.

Unfortunately, I don't live in either of those states. However, we do plan on moving to Florida in 2015!! I will certainly be hunting up the Parkrun!!!
15 Apr 2013, 15:17
Yeah, my 5:2 signautre is "Fasting is mental!", meaning that you need to have your head and mind in the right place to be successful. I think running is mental too.
15 Apr 2013, 15:28
Thanks itadakimasu

The Livonia Park Run is near me, I'll have to give it a go one Saturday.
15 Apr 2013, 16:18
CatWoman - Peter Attia blog can be found under Eating Academy, or just Google his name on the net. He is nothing to do with 5:2 fasting but has formed a company to do proper research on dietary problems/metabolic syndrome etc - and he has cured himself by cutting all carbs out of his diet and running on fat alone. Fascinating stuff - enjoy!
15 Apr 2013, 19:02
brougham wrote: Thanks itadakimasu

The Livonia Park Run is near me, I'll have to give it a go one Saturday.

Hi brougham, I'm sure you'll love it. Parkrun is such a friendly occasion. It was something I thought I might have a go at and now I look forward to every Saturday morning. I haven't missed one since September. There's always someone there to talk to about the progress you have or haven't been making and other running related stuff
19 Apr 2013, 14:06
Hi all, hope everyone is looking forward to their PRs tomorrow, if they're going. I'm ploughing through the C25k before I start that. Plus I have another class Sat mornings. Anyway, question I think I know the answer to. I went out for my run on Tuesday, they say leave a days rest etc. I couldn't go yesterday and want to go today but one calf in one leg is still a little stiff. For some reason my doms don't appears until a day or two later. My instict is to go anyway but obviously I don't want to damage my muscles before I really have to. I'm on week 3 and it's the first time I've felt any after effects. Happy Friday!
19 Apr 2013, 16:47
You could always slow it down a bit, walk for a while then see if running is easy or whether the calf is still stiff and if it is then abandon the running and continue walking. Calf strain can be quite painful and it's better to ease off for a day or two than suffer damage that could stop you for a couple of weeks.
19 Apr 2013, 16:54
How did I not know about this? It's amazing, there's a run right where I normally run :0D. Thank you very much! :like:
19 Apr 2013, 17:02
I stumbled accross my local Parkrun by accdent. I'd seen the start and finish lines being set up but assumed it was a one off event. It was only when someone who was warming up spoke to me and informed me it was a free weekly event that decided to give it a go. I'm very glad that I did.
19 Apr 2013, 17:05
Thanks, Itadakimasu, I answered my own question. I went anyway and it was fine. I'm still jogging relatively slowly anyway.

It's a bit like learning the difference between general peckishness cos you're bored and actual hunger and a vague twinge and something worth attending to. Listening to your body can be misleading, it sends all sorts of messages. I understand what Melanie Cheeks said now about running/fasting/any change of life being mental. Good luck with tomorrow!
Previous 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 98 Next
1467 posts Page 8 of 98