The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 2 of 24
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24 Next
Re: Couch to 5k
28 Jun 2013, 19:58
It was the Comic Relief charity event this year, I can't do the link but if you google 2013 5x50 you should get the website. Basically it was to commit to 50 days (31st March to 19th May) of exercise I.e. 5k everyday running, walking cycling or 30 mins of exercise. The nhs couch25k website had a 'team' of around 72 and covered over 20k miles during the period. It was great to see fitness improvements over the 50 days and certainly helps the discipline of keeping the exercise going. Personally, I managed a 5k walk during my lunch break and then ran in the evening/weekends and did other exercise as and when I had time and covered 400k in the 50 days. Others, especially those doing a lot of cycling covered even more.

The next one is same time-ish next year, 2014.
29 Jun 2013, 05:50
Thank you, that sounds like a fun project. It's very inspirational when you know that you are doing it together with other people.
07 Aug 2013, 09:53
Have just completed my first C25K pod cast, I cannot remember the last time I did anything quicker than walking :oops: and as I still weigh just over 19 stone I was quite impressed I finished it! :victory:
07 Aug 2013, 15:38
I'm fairly new to my 'smart phone' and still convinced it is much smarter than I am! :D Does anyone have a c25k app they recommend as a good one? Very cheap is good, free is better!

Thanks!
07 Aug 2013, 15:40
Wow, all you impressive people
07 Aug 2013, 15:57
@shanti I've done C25K previously using an app on my Blackberry, I load up my own music and it interrupts it to say 'start running now' etc. It's useful having a smartphone whilst doing it because you can also download a tracking app and have that running too, so you can record your run (or cycles/ swims too) and see it on a map and how far you ran and at what speeds etc on different points.

The apps availble will depend on the smartphone, but there is one on all the smartphones. Can you order your shop by rating? That's how I chose mine. I would be tempted to buy one with a small fee rather than a free one as you can avoid adverts easier that way.
13 Aug 2013, 08:47
I'm a C25K groupie :grin: Started it on 11th May, aged 49 and 11 months, having never run anywhere in my life (not even for a bus!!) and signed up for Race for Life in July.... which worked out exactly 9 weeks later so fitted in with the plan brilliantly. Unfortunately I got to week 7 and developed a hip injury so I had to stop running for a fortnight to rest it but I managed to mostly run the R4L in a passable 35 minutes. My hip held but was a bit sore afterwards. I gave it another week off then back-tracked to week 5 to ease back into it gently. I'm now back up to running 20+ minutes non-stop. Sometimes I'll listen to a podcast and sometimes I just go out and run for the enjoyment. My speed and distance are improving all the time and I absolutely love running.
13 Aug 2013, 08:56
Wow, you've all done really well!

I've been thinking of doing the Couch to 5km, but have decided to wait until I weigh a bit less to protect my knees. In the meantime I'm walking. But it's great to read about people who have done it.
13 Aug 2013, 13:15
How does the app work? Can I listen to my audiobooks I have on my phone and the app will break in to tell me when to run and when to walk? Or do I have to listen to music assigned by the app? Does anyone have a favorite app to recommend?
13 Aug 2013, 14:06
Hi Shanti

Not sure where you are from but the British NHS website has a very good c25k programme to download. I find it really good to follow and the music 'happy' and motivational. I have this on my iPod.

I am unable to run regularly but still manage to do it although it takes months not weeks as I keep having to repeat sessions. I am still on week 4 and don't mind having to keep repeating it as it is about getting out there, enjoying it and getting fit.

I love running outside, down country lanes or along the beach.

I also us Sports Tracker app on my phone and this keeps track of distance, speed, map etc.

I use a running belt (bit like a bum bag) to carry phone and iPod.

Hope this helps.

My advice is just go and do it.

Lesley
13 Aug 2013, 14:49
I have a Blackberry so limited options in terms of apps and podcasts. But I have an arm cuff which I fit mine into and a pair of earphones that have plastic fittings that fit behind my ears to hold them in place. I got both at the Pound shop (last of the big spenders :grin: ) I switch on Endomondo to track speed and distance and if I have the volume button on she will tell me each time I pass a kilometre milestone... and that's over the sound of the podcast. I do believe you can put your own soundtrack on some podcasts so that you can personalise them but as I said, I'm limited in what I can use with my BB so I wouldn't have a clue how to do it I'm afraid.
13 Aug 2013, 21:38
Oh! Oh! OH!!! I know I only joined this forum this morning but I must just post this as it has been something of a landmark day for me. Tonight I ran my first non-stop 5K EVER... in 38 minutes and I am over the moon! :grin: Not bad for a 50yo granny who only took up running on 11th May and has been blighted with a hip injury in the process!!!

So I unexpectedly graduated the programme and am free to choose whether I run long and slow or short and fast now. I have another 5K fun run booked for next month and who knows, next I might be bridging for 10K... never say never.....
13 Aug 2013, 21:49
The next 5x50 Challenge is happening on March 30th 2014. You can start registering for it from January 2014. Sounds just the thing for you Domane! I did it this year starting on the day I graduated from Couch to 5k.
14 Aug 2013, 02:44
I have started c25k too many times to mention in the past 5 or more years. My Achilles always flares up and puts an end to it. I am so envious of all of you and proud. I just started it again this week. I would love to run on the 5k circuit and be a "runner'. Maybe this time. I'm alternating with cycling and that seems to help my Achilles.

Map My Run is a great music site that you can load onto your iPhone. The music is very upbeat and there is a good variety.

Happy running. Hope that I will be able to report my 5k success to you soon.
Zasha
14 Aug 2013, 03:58
You guys are so fast! No one be afraid to start it. I weighed over 230 when I did.
I'm on the last week but its taken me over 15 weeks to complete and I'm still only running a 14 min mile and only running around 2 miles. I'm doing the timed not distance but starting next week the distance! I feel pathetic next to you guys but then I remember how I couldn't even finish day one and how hard some of them were! It's a great app too.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24 Next
349 posts Page 2 of 24