The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 4 of 24
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24 Next
Re: Couch to 5k
14 Sep 2013, 18:17
ADFnFuel wrote: Ahh! See?? That's why I mentioned that some slow, careful, stretching would be helpful.

:-)

OK I consider myself well and truly told off..........But I think its because I was running on uneven ground and having to dodge cow pats . Anyway, day 2 tomorrow, and I will definitely do lots more slow stretches.
I see this forum as providing, extra mums, dads, sisters, brothers and best mates. Thanks everyone.
25 Sep 2013, 16:04
I'm now into my second week and have just had a peak at week three and scared myself a bit. I have upped my pace to 8km/h which is about 5mph, as I realised I wasn't going fast enough. It was ok whilst i was doing it but my legs ache a wee bit today. But now that I have adopted a better after stretch it's not as bad as could have been. Doing insane terrain on Sunday it's an mucky assault course over 5k. Mmmm god knows how I managed to get convinced to do that. But hey Ho, life's about trying new things isn't it?!
04 Oct 2013, 16:40
Started today with the help of the RunDouble Couch to 5K. Boy, it was tough!
But I resisted and got trough the day 1 plan with an average pace of 7km/h and now I feel amazing. Will do my second day on Monday which happens to be a fast day and see how it goes.
04 Oct 2013, 17:58
Hi clementinek, I have just completed C25K this week, admittedly I'm not jogging 5k yet but I'm doing 30 mins at a time :smile: I also do it on my fast days and really enjoy it. Good luck :like:
06 Oct 2013, 07:27
@Chickvichow did you find it? I'm on week 3 day 2 which I will do today. I found that I wasn't running fast enough so upped my pace (using a treadmill) which didn't hurt too much. I'm not too concerned that my 5k will take forever, just reaching my goal of completing the training will be amazing.
06 Oct 2013, 07:54
I'm running just under 3.5k in 30 mins, don't think I'll ever be a sprinter :wink: I'm going to work on the doing 5k so will jog for longer before speeding up (hope that makes sense!)

Someone on FB recommended alternating speed with distance so for one run speed up and for the next keep the speed the same but jog for longer so I'm going to try that. I also run on a treadmill and haven't ventured outside yet!

My aim was the same - just to finish it and it is amazing when you do :smile: I still weigh a lot so when I lose more weight that should help with the speed as well.
06 Oct 2013, 08:38
The Couch to 5k is the catchy title. The main object is to run for 30mins nonstop. So, if getting to 5k in 30mins seems too hard or off-putting don't worry, it's a bit like 5:2 do what you can and build on it. There is the nhs website - can't post the link but lots of info and support on it

Healthunlocked.com/couchto5k
06 Oct 2013, 10:29
Thanks for that. I do like the fact that once I start the app I lose track of where I am in the training until she says, half way, then one min remaining. Recovering faster now after the run bits and also regulating my breathing a lot better. My goal is to run 5k before we go to centerparcs beginning of November so I am on track. But we shall see
13 Oct 2013, 09:41
Well I never.......... I was always anti running because way back when I was a young wipper snapper (27 yrs old) I trained with cambridge united ladies football team. We used to run, and run and run. My friend wasn't a great runner so I stayed with her for company. I really wanted to go go go. Then I got pregnant, it was planned. Anyway back to the point. Today whilst doing the c25k I was doing the long run bit (on week 4 day 2) and I went somewhere.............I wasn't thinking about how long is it till I walk again. It was a bit of a shock, being the noisey, laughs a lot kind of gal. I whooped out Loud in my garage, on my treadmill. Because it is now My treadmill.
That's all.
13 Oct 2013, 17:33
It can be addictive - be careful!
20 Oct 2013, 08:41
I am very miffed. Took a tumble in my aerobics class yesterday, twisted my ankle and fell very heavily. It didn't hurt at the time, then 5 hours later when out shopping it seized up big time. So drove home, took some ibuprofen and iced it for the evening. Have woken up with a slightly tender ankle. So will not be running today. On week 5 day 2, and was going very well.
20 Oct 2013, 09:05
carieoates wrote: I am very miffed. Took a tumble in my aerobics class yesterday, twisted my ankle and fell very heavily. It didn't hurt at the time, then 5 hours later when out shopping it seized up big time. So drove home, took some ibuprofen and iced it for the evening. Have woken up with a slightly tender ankle. So will not be running today. On week 5 day 2, and was going very well.

:cry: :curse: oh no! Sod's law strikes again!
21 Oct 2013, 15:14
I am on week 6 and did day 1 today, it went fine. I run on the forestry tracks and they are quite hilly. Last Saturday when I had to do my 20min non stop I decided to go to the park run in Inverness which is a lot flatter than I usually do even then I only did two miles and it took me 30 min. I felt I shouldn't push it any further but enjoyed it. so far on my c25k app I have managed to do 1 extra running stint each day. That will stop next week when I have to do 3times 25min. since I am slow I will have to continue building time till I reach 5k. I am 67 and have never ran before so I am quite chuffed. I hadn't joined this thread before because I thought I might not manage it, I now feel confident that I will. :like: :lol: :clover:
21 Oct 2013, 15:46
Well done to everyone who is in the programme.... CreakyPete is right... watch out, it IS very addictive! I "graduated" C25K in August and said I'd never run further than 5km and yesterday I ran my first TEN!!! These days I get a bigger high from a good run than a slice of lovely cake.... I can honestly say I don't recognise myself!!! lol
22 Oct 2013, 14:50
You are both truly inspirational @Nessie and @Domane. I will be there soonish.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24 Next
349 posts Page 4 of 24