The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

349 posts Page 1 of 24
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24 Next
Couch to 5k
25 Mar 2013, 08:40
Just wondered if anyone else is doing this?

I completed it before (well sort of, I got to running for about 25 minutes at a time and didn't bother listening to the NHS C25K podcasts anymore, rather just my own music) but admittedly I was going at a verrrrrrry slow speed.

Started it up again, on the treadmill in the gym, but am trying to do the run bits at a quicker speed this time around (6.5mph on average). I'm about to do the last run of week 3 today so am up to running for 3 minutes at a time.

Definitely feels tough, but I remember how good it felt before to have pushed myself and achieve something I never thought I could!
Re: Couch to 5k
25 Mar 2013, 08:51
Hi,
I am currently doing it through an app and am slowly working through the weeks although I haven't reached 25 mins as yet. I admit plodding on the treadmill is boring but I am persevering regardless with loud music to help!
25 Mar 2013, 16:56
I have completed this app, and I also continued with the C210k app. It is a great app, and it turned me into a runner and I used to HATE running. Don't worry about going slow. I only run about an 11 minute mile myself. Keep it up! :like:

shrinkingrose wrote: Just wondered if anyone else is doing this?

I completed it before (well sort of, I got to running for about 25 minutes at a time and didn't bother listening to the NHS C25K podcasts anymore, rather just my own music) but admittedly I was going at a verrrrrrry slow speed.

Started it up again, on the treadmill in the gym, but am trying to do the run bits at a quicker speed this time around (6.5mph on average). I'm about to do the last run of week 3 today so am up to running for 3 minutes at a time.

Definitely feels tough, but I remember how good it felt before to have pushed myself and achieve something I never thought I could!
25 Mar 2013, 17:24
I started running again a year ago and can still only do 5k in 27 minutes at best (I started off at 30 minutes) which is pretty pathetic. Since I lost 6 kgs I've the time I take has increased :shame:
Keep running - you might not be breaking records but who cares, it is doing you good!
25 Mar 2013, 17:35
Yes, I've done it a few years now, as prep for a fun run- then stopped again once the events over :frown:

I'm going to start up again as soon as it warms up. I hate running at the gym and quite enjoy it outdoors.
25 Mar 2013, 17:58
I did it a year or so ago and it got me into running which I now love (although not so much in the snow!) I find the treadmill really boring and only enjoy my runs outside.

Good luck with completing it!
28 Jun 2013, 12:54
How's it going, @shrinkingrose?

I completed C25K a few years ago and loved it. I unfortunately got out of the habit of running, but started up again this week.

My base fitness level is much higher than when I first started, and I was able to jump in at week 4. As that was rather easy, I progressed immediately to week 5, the funnest week! :grin:

Today I did week 5 day 2, and got to run 2x8 minutes. I love the longer intervals, I get really into it, feel powerful and high. The last few minutes are tough and I'm tempted to quit, but that's the intensity I need to really feel good afterwards, so I always persevere.
28 Jun 2013, 13:26
Good on you, Glass marble - next you will be looking for your nearest parkrun and joining us on "Any runners here?" thread...
28 Jun 2013, 13:44
I have taken part in a park run! It was great fun. Of course, that was back when I had completed C25K the first time. I expect I'll soon be able to join again, when I have the chance to go to a city that has park runs.
28 Jun 2013, 14:03
I've done C25k twice now and I'm working on the third time. The first time was back in Spring of 2011 and I ended up running in six 5k races that summer. But then I had surgery in August and was out of commission for nearly 9 months. I had severe complications in my lower back which made it hard for me to even sit up in a chair for any period of time, much less stand/walk/run.

Once I was recovered from my surgery I started C25k again from square one last Spring, but I fell off the wagon entirely with diet and exercise by the end of the summer.

Then I hurt my foot earlier this year and just got back to being able to do long walks/short runs at the start of June, so I began C25k for the third time. Today will be Week 4, Day 3 for me. Hopefully I can make it through. I had to give up and walk partway through my last 5-minute run on Wednesday, but I was sick on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm feeling a lot better now, so I think I should be able to finish the week strong.
28 Jun 2013, 15:55
Good luck, JamieLogical! I certainly hope you are spared injuries this time.
28 Jun 2013, 16:33
I used to run in my early 40s then stopped. I started the C25K this year and finished it on Easter Sunday, then I went straight into the 5x50 challenge. Finding it hard to get the time to run at the moment as everything seems to be conspiring against me but I do enjoy it and would recommend C25K to anyone. I really enjoyed it. Franglaise, wish I could run as fast as you I still can't get 5k down to 30 minutes though I am doing intervals to try and speed me up.
28 Jun 2013, 16:49
shrinkingrose wrote: Just wondered if anyone else is doing this?

I don't like carrying a phone when running (and don't trust nor my phone nor those android C25K apps), but I am working to reach 5K. I was at 30 minute running month ago, but I've strained a calf muscle (running downhill with no sufficient warm up and too high speed).
So now i am back at the beginning, and working to change my heel-striking technique to middle-foot strike at least. Love the idea of barefoot running, don't like hi-tech thick shoes :) and I have to buy new running shoes anyway, but cannot decide which style ;)
Good luck to all of you training for 5K!
28 Jun 2013, 16:59
I completed (or graduated) from the nhs c25k last autumn and have been running since then. Much prefer outside - even in winter, or the wet as my body, probably mind really, doesn't seem to be able to cope with exercising in hot weather, so I for one am suited by this 'summer'. Just back from holiday in France and took my running gear which I actually used - more than once!

Franglais - I wouldn't mind posting your times! Have cracked 5 in 30 - just. Have only managed 1 Park Run yet but hope to do more (and volunteer) later in the year.

Good Luck to all new starters and returners. Happy running everyone.
28 Jun 2013, 17:36
Loulou51 wrote: I used to run in my early 40s then stopped. I started the C25K this year and finished it on Easter Sunday, then I went straight into the 5x50 challenge.

What is the 5x50 challenge?
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24 Next
349 posts Page 1 of 24