The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

306 posts Page 1 of 21
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 Next
Starting the 30 Day Shred
13 May 2013, 12:33
30 days until holiday means I'm just in time to try the 30 Day Shred!

Found a link on Youtube and apparently the 2nd level is out there too (will be braving it in 10 days). Saw amazing Before and After pictures (posted by normal people, not in an advertising campaign!) so got inspired. I've taken my own 'Before' picture! Not too horrifying thanks to 5:2 so far but really have to up my game now if I want to drop some pounds and tone up.

Will also be calorie cutting on my Feed days and not drinking until after my exams are over.

Anyone curious, or doing it already? Care to join me? :)
Re: Starting the 30 Day Shred
13 May 2013, 13:16
Hello BethP
I'm doing it. Level one day 5 but missed 2 days so my 30 days is going to be 32. Still got a ring to it. I'm not using weights as I don't have them and the small bottles of water aren't heavy enough. I thing bags of flour may get a bit messy :)
I go through spells of exercising regularly and have really fallen off the path recently and gone to be a serious couch potato. But, y'know I don't find it too hard. The cardio fair pechs me but I can keep going through it now - the star jumps got me at first then the bum kicks but I can do all the sets now. What I find hard is doing it every day- I'm used to every second day or three in a row and one off. I did manage 6 on 1 off and found that tough.
Sounds as though you have a plan so go for it.
And be kind to yourself with exams and stuff. All this high achieving in every sphere is overrated :)
13 May 2013, 14:13
Hi janeg! I don't think taking a couple of rest days is a bad thing at all, I just don't have the time :) I'm the same as you, go from being exercise-crazy to a complete couch potato haha.

The cardio is the hardest part so far, but I'm glad to be learning a bit more about which muscles are being worked. Anything to get rid of my tummy tire...

Thank you! I'm not going to put too much pressure on myself. If I get too stressed I will stop worrying about weight and just focus on exams, but hopefully healthy eating and exercise will help my brain get going! It is tough to do it everyday I bet, but at least it's only 20mins :)
13 May 2013, 14:35
I'm on day 28! I've kind of lost my mojo with it because I don't like level 3 at all. You could always consider a 27 day shred with one rest day per level x
13 May 2013, 14:53
Hi , I have been doing the 30 day shred for a while, before starting 5:2. Did all the levels and now I do level 2 everyday , Sunday rest. I exercise early morning before kids wake up. I feel I have toned up but still more to go so after reading one post about another workout by Jillian, ripped in 30 , I have decided to give that a go. My first day today, good luck on your 30 day shred journey Beth.
13 May 2013, 18:37
imcountingufoz wrote: I'm on day 28! I've kind of lost my mojo with it because I don't like level 3 at all. You could always consider a 27 day shred with one rest day per level x

Keep at it! You've gone so far :D
I know that you advised taking rest days and if I really need to, I will, but I would love to complete the 30 days before my holiday. Still, 27 days will hopefully have some kind of effect too... We'll see (:

Malteserr wrote: Hi , I have been doing the 30 day shred for a while, before starting 5:2. Did all the levels and now I do level 2 everyday , Sunday rest. I exercise early morning before kids wake up. I feel I have toned up but still more to go so after reading one post about another workout by Jillian, ripped in 30 , I have decided to give that a go. My first day today, good luck on your 30 day shred journey Beth.

I've heard about the ripped in 30 one too! My tummy is my problem area so I think I'll look into that one too. I'm planning on getting up early to do the workout too, gives me a reason to start revision early too (:
Good luck on your journey too!
16 May 2013, 18:38
I'm giving it a go, day 1 on 16th May. How is it going for you, BethP?
17 May 2013, 09:37
Hiya Effie :)
It's going well, thanks! I get up as early as possible and do it in the mornings because I've found I don't feel much different on a 'Feed' morning to a 'Fast' morning, and hopefully it's burning fat with no food in my belly!

I had my 5th day today. Had to take a rest day on day 3 because my muscles were protesting after Taekwondo and the Shred but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I love knowing different types of crunches as my tummy is the part of me I really want to slim down!

But the push ups... I am yet to complete a full set of push ups. They are my nemesis.

How're you finding it? (: Are you doing it to get fitter/lose weight/lose inches?
17 May 2013, 09:40
Go ON with your bad self! Glad it's going well.
18 May 2013, 06:45
BethP wrote: Are you doing it to get fitter/lose weight/lose inches?

Yes - all of those!!

I had been on 5:2 for two weeks and I realised that I needed to more than look at my diet. I have never exercised properly and I needed to find something that would fit in with my day and give results.

The push ups are killing me, I have no upper body strength and now that my muscles are aching, I put in a very sorry performance - especially timed for a bit where Jillian lectures me about not getting results unless I do the whole workout :wink:

I'm quite enjoying that fact that my muscles hurt so much, every movement throughout the day reminds me of the changes I have decided to make. I am wondering whether I can expect to hurt for the whole 30 days though! If it does stop hurting, will I lose my enthusiasm?
18 May 2013, 09:52
Sounds like you're doing a great job :) I'm no expert but I think it pays to listen to your body. If you're in too much pain, go easier on yourself. If you're not in enough pain, push yourself harder. Just don't hurt yourself!

Remember that as you repeat the exercises they'll probably hurt less because you'll get better at them... that's where I am right now and I think Level 2 is going to scare the bajeebus out of me.

I finally did the full sets of push ups today, Day 6! Got there in the end. I don't have very good upper body strength and big boobs don't help. But it's definitely getting easier and doing it in the mornings is brilliant, I get it over and done with before my day begins :)
18 May 2013, 13:44
Day 9 for me completed, so I have one more day at level 1 and then move on to level 2. I'm not peeking- I didn't for level one so i will remain in ignorance!
Graduated from water bottles as weights to soft lead weights as they were finally brought in from the car. They're 2lb ones and that make quite a difference I can tell you!
This morning really was tough- I didn't do it yesterday as I was away early diving so had a day off (except from moving and loading dive tanks!)
I've got some work next week - long days so I'll have to really be strict with myself to make sure I keep it up.
Going to do an interim weigh and measure tomorrow to see if there is any didderence. I'm quite sure I will have increased weight wise. May need to launch 4:3...
Sounds as though you are doing really well.
Good work there Imcounting- that is some result and love the go forth and shred! :)
18 May 2013, 14:45
That's it, I keep reading about this and you have convinced me to give it a try! Just one question, do you need a lot of space because my flat is tiny!
18 May 2013, 14:58
Nope no space required other than being able to lie out on the floor. That's for the exercises though I find I need it for recovery/resuscitation. The oxygen takes up a bit of space though...
18 May 2013, 15:54
@janeg
Good luck with Level 2! I'm sort of excited to get there now as it'll mean I'm closer to my holiday (but also my exams... not exactly a win/win situation!)
I'm weighing in on Wednesdays as usual but will be taking a 'During' picture the morning of Day 11. Really hoping I keep losing the pounds but toning up/losing inches is more important right now. 5:2 is the long term game, 30DS is the short-term game!

@Nicky_94
Nope, not much space required! I do the shred in my living room in my student house (at 8am when there are no other students in the UK awake...) and you need to be able to lie down, like janeg said, but also give yourself arm space when you lie down. Good luck!
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 Next
306 posts Page 1 of 21